velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I happened across this a few days ago. I can’t tell what led up to this altercation OR who tossed the first punch, but I’d like to hear your opinion about this video.

Here is the link;

http://animalnewyork.com/2009/07/berserk-bicyclist-uses-bike-lock-as-a-fist/
    wow the non cyclist sure did stay in the fight for a while knowing he has getting hit mutiple times in the face with a bike lock
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited

The pedestrian was definitely pressing his luck by following the cyclist after the cyclist was walking away but seriously... that old dude poses no threat, just ride away. If it was a more intimidating pedestrian I'd understand how the guy could claim self defense but that old asian dude... come on. And, even after the cyclist hit him with a lock once the pedestrian wasn't going to fight back so everything after that was even more unnecessary.
    • CommentAuthorjerereremy
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009

unless the pedestrian posed an immediate threat (knife/gun/acid spit), the guy on the bike should've just sucked it up and kept riding. i'm all for riding aggressively, but is a bit much.
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

acid spit.....thats some scary shit
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

Dude that cyclist is retarded! Why would you do that to somebody?
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Fuck that. If this happened more often people wouldn't regard cyclists as pussies, and do shit like call us faggot, throw shit at us, cut us off and laugh about it etc.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Yea, the cyclist definitely went way overboard. The pedestrian was deserving of a good swift kick in the ass, but the situation definitely didn't seem to merit beating him with a u-lock. It's also unclear who really threw the first blow, but from the looks of it the pedestrian was grabbing the kid just as they had fallen out of clear view of the camera.

Granted there are likely circumstances that aren't apparent to us in the video. Pedestrians in NYC seem to have a bug up their asses to step out in the road as far as they can while their crossing light is red, and since the light appeared to be green for the cyclist (assuming it occurred immediately before filming), then this was probably the cause of the collision. For all we know, the kid could have really been booking it, and may have had to take a moment to re-cooperate since his sprint had come to a screeching halt. If this were the case, I could see instinctively taking the easy way out, and grabbing a blunt object to defend himself rather than throwing a fist.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: SkidMarkFuck that. If this happened more often people wouldn't regard cyclists as pussies, and do shit like call us faggot, throw shit at us, cut us off and laugh about it etc.

Yeah, because an athletic young man beating up an old man with a u-lock is totally unpussy. That cyclist definitely earned the respect of the general public!
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

if your gonna hit someone, be a man and (walk away) or use your fists.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: deermattif your gonna hit someone, be a man and (walk away) or use your fists.

Or just beat them over the head with your wang, cause that'll really show him how much of a man you are

Posted By: SkidMarkFuck that. If this happened more often people wouldn't regard cyclists as pussies, and do shit like call us faggot, throw shit at us, cut us off and laugh about it etc.

you're totally right.
    • CommentAuthorLoneWolf15

If this happened more often, you'd see more motorists taking the law into their own hands with cyclists.

It's called "escalation". You use your fist, I use my U-Lock. I use my U-Lock, you use your (insert more powerful weapon here, be it car, dog, gun, etc.). Escalation is a BAD idea, because it won't stop until someone is dead.

Not enough info to see what started this incident or who was right or wrong. However, the cyclist either could have rode away, or pushed the man off him and then rode away. Instead, he could now be charged with simple assault.
    no he could be charged with assault with a deadly weapon, even more jail time
    • CommentAuthorCarley P.

That's crazy! I definitely don't enjoy being called a faggot or having stuff thrown at me, but I don't think beating up people with locks is the best way to go about stopping that from happening.

I was riding with some friends around three months ago and some kids yelled at us. One of the people I was riding with caught up to him at a red light and hit his side-view mirror with his lock and we almost got into an eight or nine person fight because of it. It was crazy and I wouldn't suggest it.

I'm surprised the Asian guy was still standing, truthfully.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

When you are all done being so P.C. try to wrap your head around the idea that it is better to be feared than respected on the roads where the majority of other road users have about two tons on you.

You only catch one little snippet with that video. You don't know what started it. Maybe the pedestrian tried to knock him off his bike or shove something in his wheel, or maybe he sees this douchebag every day and he's been running his mouth every time he sees this cyclist.

The people who pull this shit in cars are bullies. And just like the ones on the grade school playground all you have to do is stand up to them. I had some big kid who used to pick on me when I was a freshman, everyday he hit me or dump my books or slam me against a locker. He pushed me a little too far and I hit him with me skateboard. Because he was a tough guy he had too much pride to go to a teacher. I was smart enough to do this while nobody was watching so he didn't have to save face by getting back at me. That's how I've handled any bully since, and it's to the point now where it never comes to violence. It's about not being intimidated, it scares the shit out of bullies.

If you decide to get into it with someone, my advice is that you be willing to go to the mat, and not to start shit, every move should be defensive. We don't see how that fight starts, and we don't know if he possibly knocked a knife out of that man's hand before clocking him with his U-lock. Or maybe he was just being a big dick. All I know is if more people met bike harassment with a closed fist there would be less of it.

The best case in point is Harley riders. The reputation is that enough of them are outlaw bikers that you don't fuck with them, even though the majority of them these days are affluent businessmen who couldn't or wouldn't fight their way out of a paper sack.
    • CommentAuthorPunchdrunk

Crazy video, considering I live just down the block. I can say for certain that the people of my neighborhood have no respect for cyclists but it seems to me that these same people have little respect for any type of vehicular traffic. With that said, I can certainly understand how frustrated one gets with rude pedestrians and drivers, but hitting a person with u-lock is totally excessive. It's almost impossible to justify that type of behavior.

Posted By: SkidMarkor maybe he sees this douchebag every day and he's been running his mouth every time he sees this cyclist.

shit talking warrants getting a u-lock in the face?
    Posted By: sfbeeOr just beat them over the head with your wang, cause that'll really show him how much of a man you are

hahahahahahaha
    • CommentAuthorglider

Posted By: wes m.

Yeah, because an athletic young man beating up an old man with a u-lock is totally unpussy. That cyclist definitely earned the respect of the general public!

+1 LOL

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.