velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009

thank you sfbee. this thread was becoming such a pissing match.
    I’ll bet that anyone who see’s this clip will think twice before confronting a cyclist now.

In my opinion, *if the situation calls for it*, you hold nothing back in physical combat. Ride softly, & carry a big U-lock if you like. You just better hope the other guy isn’t carrying a gun or stagers back to his car to run you down at a time of his choice!

I feel certain that this clip hasn’t helped cyclists image in the long run to the car culture of the US. I’ll bet that there will be those, who in fact after seeing this clip, will be more likely to just push a cyclist out of there way with there car or reach for there pistol now.

It would just be so much better if there were mutual respect among cyclists, motorists & pedestrians. Figure out how to make that happen, and the US would be a better place...
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009

More Tom Arnold than Tom of Finland.
    • CommentAuthordigthemlows
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited

SkidMark, no way in any "realworld" situation is it cool to hit someone with a ULock, it's totally lame in my opinion............the fact that you condone it makes me sad .......I know you'll be fine though, and so will I...

(edited out name calling, sorry guys/gals)
    There's only one time I've ever been confronted physically. I was riding up a street, it was 2 lanes in both directions so the ass could've just gone around me, but instead chose to stay behind me screaming because I was in his way. That went one for about 2 blocks, at which point he swerved around me, stopped his car in the middle of the road, shoved me off my bike as I tried to ride past him again still without saying a word, he picked me up by my neck and held me against a wall screaming at me. The whole time I stayed as calm as I could. We then called the cops, gave them the make/model of his car, HIS LICENSE PLATE NUMBER, and a pretty damn good description of the guy including what he was wearing and what direction he went in. They wrote down a police report number, and I never heard a single word again. That is the last time I will ever assume doing things legally is always the best way to go, and the reason that the next time someone actually tries to start something with me, short of just yelling something at me, they're going to get my u-lock straight in their face. If I was a big guy I might be more willing to fight, but I'm 144lbs and 5'8, and I don't start shit with people, so I don't consider a u-lock to be any kind of method to get out my rage, but a hit(or more) to the head with my lock is the best way to say "leave me the hell alone" that I've got. I wouldn't hit someone over over and over just for the fun of it, but I wouldn't stop until it was clear they were ready to back down.

I can't say anything about the video because you can't see what happened around that corner, but as far as people saying he should've just walked/rode away, he clearly tried to leave 3 or 4 times and the guy yelling at him wasn't having it, and even if he's an older guy, the kid on the bike wasn't too big himself. If he really wanted to to cause the guy some pain I feel like he would've dropped his bike and swung that lock like a baseball bat, but the fact that he wouldn't let go of his bike and was swinging that lock around awkwardly makes me thing he was in a panic and just wanted out of there.
    Posted By: stinky pete
    It would just be so much better if there were mutual respect among cyclists, motorists & pedestrians. Figure out how to make that happen, and the US would be a better place...

I'll start my end of the mutual respect when I stop reading about pedestrians(and the occassional cyclist) that were run over and killed by someone in a car daily. I do absolutely everything I can to stay out of pedestrians way, but we're kinda working at an uneven mutual respect ratio of 200lbs to 3000lbs, in favor of cars. I'm just saying it's real hard to respect people who almost kill me 2-3 times a day.
    • CommentAuthorstinky pete

Posted By: upthemaidenI'll start my end of the mutual respect when I stop reading about pedestrians(and the occassional cyclist) that were run over and killed by someone in a car daily. I do absolutely everything I can to stay out of pedestrians way, but we're kinda working at an uneven mutual respect ratio of 200lbs to 3000lbs, in favor of cars. I'm just saying it's real hard to respect people who almost kill me 2-3 times a day.

Yea I know man, it’s like world peace; it’s a fantasy concept that will likely never happen, but sure would be great if it did!
    I think know how you feel & agree that things won’t change till cyclists are feared or respected.
    And that’s exactly what position the cars & trucks hold now.
    If the mind set of everyone on the roads changed so we viewed each other as equals & paid attention to operating our vehicles, things would be fine except for the occasional true accident.

Posted By: digthemlowsSkidMark, no way in any "realworld" situation is it cool to hit someone with a ULock, it's totally pussy............the fact that you condone it makes me sad for you.......I know you'll be fine though, and so will I.........I hope I never meet you or have to ride with you because you are a dick.

I hope you’ll be fine should some pecker head beat your ass on your bike some day & you wish you had some help. Martial arts are a great “equalizer” and hey, no “deadly weapon” is involved if you lay out your attacker with you hands right?

Can’t we just agree that you & SkidMark don’t share the same opinion without resulting to name calling? If not, add me to your “feel sad for & dick” list, fellow cyclist...
    • CommentAuthordigthemlows
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited

Sorry guys, I deleted my post, I'm being stupid about all of this.........I think the Video is very very wrong, the cyclist was wrong........that is my opinion, sorry for the name calling.........
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009

Posted By: SkidMarkReally you don't know shit about me and apparently you didn't even read everything I wrote and just knee-jerked to the things you didn't like. I also wrote:

"That's how I've handled any bully since (standing up to them), and it's to the point now where it never comes to violence. It's about not being intimidated, it scares the shit out of bullies."

You pay so little attention that I have to quote myself quoting myself.

How about a 4th time "it's to the point now where it never comes to violence."

Also notice how I don't resort to name-calling.
    • CommentAuthortyler215

no one knows how either of these peoples minds think and react to situations like this and sometimes people do things out of their character and later relize that it was to much , we dont know about prior things that happend in somebodys life that shaped the way they feel about "defending" themselves or how much they react to things or stuations presented to them, maybe the guy over reacted maybe the old guy was overreacting but to them it was their battle and they dealt with it how they felt it should be dealt with at that very moment, wrong or right it was thier fight and im sure other people have been in fights or seen another fight and relize most people just act out on the spur moment than think later . and if he thinks he is cool for this fuck him he probly went home and told his girl he got in a fight and she probly gave him some and the old dude went home with the bruises and probly got some to so who cares
    • CommentAuthorasmorse211

Every incident like this that comes about is a judgment call. You can't generalize it by saying whether physical force is or isn't acceptable or how far to go. We have instincts to survive and if a man's instincts tell him to use the metal object in his hand to stay out of danger than he's going to do it. As far as the video is concerned I would not have gotten on the bike. it would make you so much more vulnerable to being pushed or pulled to the ground. The old guy wouldn't leave him alone after repeated attempts to walk away and that's how he reacted. I think the problem is that he got carried away and took it a bit too far. The old guy was retreating by the third and fourth blows.
    Sorry, Skid, I deleted my post...........
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited

Posted By: upthemaidenI'll start my end of the mutual respect when I stop reading about pedestrians(and the occassional cyclist) that were run over and killed by someone in a car daily. I do absolutely everything I can to stay out of pedestrians way, but we're kinda working at an uneven mutual respect ratio of 200lbs to 3000lbs, in favor of cars.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/fatal-collision-in-pittsfield-remains-under-investigation/
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen

Damn, I get all riled up and have to calm myself when pedestrians make fun of my farmer's tan...
    Posted By: tyler215and if he thinks he is cool for this fuck him he probly went home and told his girl he got in a fight and she probly gave him some and the old dude went home with the bruises and probly got some to so who cares

hahahahahahahaha
    LOL ROFLCOPTER

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.