velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009

shitstain, the fact that you support this kind of behaviour is sad, sadisctic and makes me think you're a fucking idiot. none of your running on about bullies, shit talk, pussies, respect, etc. even came close to justifying what this U-lock swinging asshole did to this (old, defenseless, non-physically threatening) man or what you did in highschool. You both deserve jail time for what you did.

p.s. when you mentioned your 'bully' having too much pride to go to a teacher after what you did to him, are you not only admitting YOU did the same thing in regards to what he did to you? that guy was an asshole and you're no better than him. if you can't take being called a "pussy" or "faggot" and thrive on people "fearing you" than sell your bike for a Muay Thai membership and fight legally. You're mentality is nausiating. You aren't the cyclist from the video are you?
    whats he going to do cloud, stand there and take it? it didnt seem like a teacher was going to care enough to stop it and it sounds like the bully was having to much fun to stop.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited

First off cloud, my name pertains to skidding with your tire, you know on your bike? Maybe you have some sort of scat fetish.

Sometimes you don't go to teachers out of fear of repercussion from bullies, and sometimes teachers do nothing. Must be nice to live such a sheltered life to never experience this situation.

I'm pretty sure a juvenile first offense that was committed in self-defense would net me nothing more than 3 or 5 days suspension, we're talking like 1980.

Really you don't know shit about me and apparently you didn't even read everything I wrote and just knee-jerked to the things you didn't like. I also wrote:

"That's how I've handled any bully since (standing up to them), and it's to the point now where it never comes to violence. It's about not being intimidated, it scares the shit out of bullies."

And once again I will state you do not see the very start of the fight, it starts out of view of the camera. For all you know the victim could have brandished a weapon, and subsequently got it knocked away by the U-lock. You don't know the whole situation.
    I'm not gonna read all the comments but I did watch the video.
    Violence is almost never the solution to a problem, but rather the problem itself.
    Looked to me like an argument gone horribly wrong and bike dork definitely read one too many BF posts about "u-lock justice".
    Hope the victim was alright and remembered enough about the kid to get the cops on the right path.

I was always taught that violence was only acceptable in two circumstances.
    1) when someone else is being hurt and it's the only way you can stop that
    2) when you're being hurt and it's the only way you can stop that

That's it. All other violence is bullshit. I mean we all like to joke and fantasize about knocking a bike thief's teeth down his throat or bustin up a dumb ass fratboy every so often but do we really do it? No. Of course not. No more than we really shoot bad guys in the head in our day to day life. That's movies, that's Die Hard, that's not reality. Reality is that violence is deplorable and should be avoided at all costs. There are people in the world that are victims of violence every day and can't do anything about it. The farther we get away from the barbaric myth that violence is somehow a measure of manhood the closer we get to evolving as a race of creatures.
    Doesn't make anyone a "pussy" to walk away from shit like that. Makes you intelligent and compassionate. Try it sometimes tough guys, feels good. :)
    • CommentAuthorjerereremy

Posted By: SkidMarkFirst off cloud, my name pertains to skidding with your tire, you know on your bike? Maybe you have some sort of scat fetish.

Sometimes you don't go to teachers out of fear of repercussion from bullies, and sometimes teachers do nothing. Must be nice to live such a sheltered life to never experience this situation.

I'm pretty sure a juvenile first offense that was committed in sense defense would net me nothing more than 3 or 5 days suspension, we're talking like 1980.

Really you don't know shit about me and apparently you didn't even read everything I wrote and just knee-jerked to the things you didn't like. I also wrote:

"That's how I've handled any bully since (standing up to them), and it's to the point now where it never comes to violence. It's about not being intimidated, it scares the shit out of bullies."

And once again I will state you do not see the very start of the fight, it starts out of view of the camera. For all you know the victim could have brandished a weapon, and subsequently got it knocked away by the U-lock. You don't know the whole situation.

yeah, see, the real world doesn't work that way...unless prison is a viable option for you.

whether we saw the beginning of the altercation or not, u-lock guy's reaction was excessive. the old guy never tried to hit back, so why keep hitting? seems to be more malicious and less defensive.

(damn y'all, give teachers some credit. i don't play that bullying shit and know many others who don't)
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited

Well teachers did wonders for your reading and comprehension skills.

What do you mean "real world" the event I described did happen in the real world and that was the outcome. I stopped the big bastard from picking on me by hitting him with my skateboard. He was 6 inches taller and 50lbs. heavier than me. He never got in trouble for months of daily abuse and I never got in trouble for getting him (or any other bully ) to leave me alone. I don't think you can go to prison for defending yourself against a bully, which is all I did and ever do if in such a situation. But that situation is nothing like what happened in the video.

I agree his reaction was excessive but let's take a look at it:

At about 8 seconds in the cyclist tries to walk away and the pedestrian follows him

At 14 seconds they disappear behind the phone and traffic signal pole so we can't see them for a few seconds. Maybe the pedestrian takes a swing at the cyclist? Maybe he pulls a knife /weapon? We don't know.

At 18 seconds the pedestrian adopts a boxer's stance, and at that point the cyclist starts swinging his U-lock at him, hitting him several times. The pedestrian then advances toward him again and gets hit a few more times.

The pedestrian looks about my age, I guess early 40's is an old man.

The pedestrian is the aggressor, he just bit off way more than he could chew. Why? Because it is widely regarded by non-cyclists that all cyclists are pussies. See how wrong they are?
    • CommentAuthorheadydude

I'm with skidmark on this one. The pedestrian is seemingly the aggressor, as demonstrated by the biker's continuous attempts to walk away. Apparently, the pedestrian felt like he needed to pursue the situation. He brought it on himself. Next time, he probably won't.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

I say keep swinging till the aggressor has enough....
    • CommentAuthorcloud

i think you're giving the "aggressor" an ungodly amount of credit & benefic of the doubt here.

skidmark, consider a change in perspective; if the cyclist wasn't a cyclist at all, another pedestrian, a skateboarder, on a segway, etc. or the older man was the one on a bicycle would you stand behind your opinions? I doubt it considering much of your argument is biased toward the guy who posseses the bike and only for that fact.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Is it? I'm an "old man", so why wouldn't I side with the "old man"? I base my conclusion on what I viewed which was some shit talker walking after some other dude who happens to be pushing a bike, then the shit talker adopts a fighting stance (go frame by frame at 18 seconds) and then still going after the guy after being clocked once.

If this "perspective" theory is true, then why do the majority of people viewing this on a bike-oriented site feel that the pedestrian didn't deserve the beatdown?

Posted By: SkidMarkWell teachers did wonders for your reading and comprehension skills.

What do you mean "real world" the event I described did happen in the real world and that was the outcome. I stopped the big bastard from picking on me by hitting him with my skateboard. He was 6 inches taller and 50lbs. heavier than me. He never got in trouble for months of daily abuse and I never got in trouble for getting him (or any other bully ) to leave me alone. I don't think you can go to prison for defending yourself against a bully, which is all I did and ever do if in such a situation. But that situation is nothing like what happened in the video.

The pedestrian is the aggressor, he just bit off way more than he could chew. Why? Because it is widely regarded by non-cyclists that all cyclists are pussies. See how wrong they are?

d'oh! you got me there!!!

buuuuuuuut you should know that you can damn well get into legal trouble for physically retaliating to someone's verbal or previous about. just a 'lil.

and people don't think all cyclists are little veejay's. it's possible this is a personal issue
    • CommentAuthorcloud

^that's what i'm thinking. i don't get called "pussy" and "faggot regularly." why? i don't know, maybe i'm not asking for it with a demeanor that demands respect and fear. if i did, i wouldn't be so insecure about it to reward blatant violence. in my many years of being an athlete i spend 6 seasons wrestling (dealt with spandex singlet jokes) and was a 3x springboard diving/swimming 5A state finalist. i knew what wearing a speedo would bring, insults and comments from assholes who would be too insecure to wear one themselves. i now wear cycling kits and you know what? i'm fine with it. never thought of telling someone almost twice my age to grow up.

Posted By: SkidMark

If this "perspective" theory is true, then why do the majority of people viewing this on a bike-oriented site feel that the pedestrian didn't deserve the beatdown?

because he didn't, thanks for proving my point.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I wear cycling kit too on long rides and at the track, so much for that macho insecurity.

I don't know where you live but in places with a high population of rednecks you get that sort of shit all the time. I live outside of Portland and it's pretty much 50/50, I think I get some idiot yelling something at me about twice a year, or less.

Some people just look "macho" no matter what they may think or how they act. I really can't help being hairy and stocky, or for that matter being heavily tattooed. You can attach whatever stereotype you want to that, maybe 1/4 of them will be true.

cloud, I thought your "point" was that cyclists would side with cyclists? At least that's what I was getting at.

I think y'all might have some insecurities of your own that you are projecting.
    This isn't psychologyspace.org, its VELOSPACE, the fact of the matter is that the behavior of the cyclist was not needed in this situation, if you hit a pedestrian on your bike, stop to be sure they're ok, and if they start shit, just ride away, which the cyclist had many chances to do. And really?? A U-lock??? if your gonna hit someone in self defense, just use your fist, but the fact he had time to think about reaching back and pulling out the U-lock and using it in self defense is ridiculous. No one can think that quick in self defense in less your trained at it, in which case he wouldnt have used his U-lock in the first place. BAsically, just ride away.

Posted By: SkidMark

check yourself. i think you may have a little dribble on your leg.
    • CommentAuthorCarley P.

I'm not one to think violence should be your first reaction. However, in Skidmark's case of being bullied he had every right to do that. Who cares if it's against the law? The government doesn't determine right and wrong.

The guy could have been excessive with his U-Lock, but we don't know the situation completely. Maybe the pedestrian raped and murdered the cyclists family? It's a bad situation either way, but it's hard to make absolute judgments about it.
    • CommentAuthorcloud

Posted By: SkidMarkI wear cycling kit too on long rides and at the track, so much for that macho insecurity.

I don't know where you live but in places with a high population of rednecks you get that sort of shit all the time. I live outside of Portland and it's pretty much 50/50, I think I get some idiot yelling something at me about twice a year, or less.

Some people just look "macho" no matter what they may think or how they act. I really can't help being hairy and stocky, or for that matter being heavily tattooed. You can attach whatever stereotype you want to that, maybe 1/4 of them will be true.

cloud, I thought your "point" was that cyclists would side with cyclists? At least that's what I was getting at.

you're silly dude.
    carly p.
    ''The government doesn't determine right and wrong''
    hell they dont even follow the laws they make

i wish the people involved in the video could see this thread.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: SkidMark I really can't help being hairy and stocky, or for that matter being heavily tattooed. You can attach whatever stereotype you want to that, maybe 1/4 of them will be true.

riding that bike has made him cold or horny , his nipples are hard

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.