velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorGal522
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009

I'm looking for suggestions to upgrade my Univega Gran Premio. I bought it new in 1983. I still love to ride it, but I don't like reaching down to the frame to shift. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    • CommentAuthorCarley P.

If you don't like reaching down to shift, go fixed!
    • CommentAuthorLoneWolf15
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited

Your Univega is a steel frame and could probably be cold-set to adjust to larger than 6 speeds in the back. This might allow you to go with a 7/8/9 speed setup for reasonable prices. 9spd STI gear is pretty inexpensive these days. Or, if you're looking to retain a more classic look, maybe 8-or-9spd Campy Ergopower. In this regard, Ebay can be your friend if you know what to look for.

You'd be doing quite the rebuild. I'm sure you have a freewheel hubset now. You can get freewheels as large as 8spd, but at that point you put a bit more stress on the rear hub axle, so it's better to look at a new wheelset. You'll also need most of a new groupset; at minimum, you're talking derailleurs, brifters, chain, and new cables --and if you're a stickler for accuracy, that will probably make you want to have matching brake calipers, and crankset (which will require a new bottom bracket). Of course, the advantage is that if your chainrings are really worn, this will take care of that problem. While you're at it, you might as well check other parts for wear (e.g., headset) and rebuild or replace them, and strip the frame down so you can apply FrameSaver to the inside, and clean and wax it on the outside.

All of this assumes your current frame is in great shape, with no rust or issues that would make it impractical from a cost perspective. Rebuilding can be a really fun project though. I just took my 2003 Trek 2300 (in my profile) and completely stripped it this year; other than frame/fork, nothing is original.

One final option --if you have SunTour gear, you could upgrade to 7spd and go with SunTour Command shifters found on Ebay. No longer made, but they were great touring-bike index shifters, and in friction mode, they'll work with a 6spd setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Suntour-Command-Bar-Con-Shifter-Touring-Cross-Vintage_W0QQitemZ260452855122QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ca4332d52&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

or you could go the much cheaper route and grab yourself a pair of barcons. you'd still have to reach down into the drops but you could keep the rest of your gear.
    • CommentAuthorLoneWolf15

Posted By: Aaron Cor you could go the much cheaper route and grab yourself a pair of barcons. you'd still have to reach down into the drops but you could keep the rest of your gear.
    You're correct. Didn't mention them, probably out of personal bias --I just couldn't get used to them. I actually think my balance is better with downtube shifters than barcons.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.