velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorLoneWolf15
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited

I am home as of last evening from my third RAGBRAI. Moderately tan (most of you could probably outdo me there as I have to wear SPF-50 to prevent the Maine Lobster look), one pound heavier (darn; I didn't overindulge --much), the temporary wolf tattoo has worn off, and I'll probably take a break on riding until Tuesday (though I might run prior to work Monday AM). Laundry to do, tenting equipment to air out, and otherwise a day to just relax after 440-450 miles in the saddle. A great vacation, a good concert by the Barenaked Ladies to kick it off, and decent weather throughout the week. After a modest drivetrain adjustment, I'm quite happy with how my
    trusty steed performed.

For those of you who haven't done RAGBRAI, you should consider it. It's one big week-long rolling party with a million unique experiences, and not to be missed.
    • CommentAuthormuttsbutts
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009

I went on RAGBRAI in 1982; it was a 523 mile ride. I quite enjoyed the ride. I was 22 then, and I was able to squash the hills and thump the flats ( now it would be "woe is me!" ) I was on an 1981 Univega Gran Turismo, and I tallied four 100 mile days ( there was only one scheduled 100+ mile day, but to reach the milestone I road around some extra on the long days, to accumulate the 100 ).
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited

LW, glad you enjoyed it. I live just up the river ~50 miles from Birlington and so I just did the run from Mt Pleasant to Birlington on Saturday.. I rode the whole thing in '92 (525 miles) while I was living in Washington state. Quite a bit of fun, nothing like sharing the road with a tight-knit group of your best buds (all 10,000)... I hit 57mph on the hill coming into New London with the 90 degree turn at the bottom with high 40s on two others that morning. I rode my Black Lightning (19642). Did you ride Snake Alley?
    • CommentAuthorLoneWolf15
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009

Sorry, been out for a bit.

I did not ride Snake Alley, because by the time I got to it, there were a number of inexperienced riders trying their hand. After seeing several of them just fall on their sides and crash dramatically, having someone do that in front of me (likely causing the demise of some of my very new SRAM Red gear when I hit them) was not my idea of a good time.

43mph was my max, but if it had been straight going into New London I might have been less conservative. I've just seen a few nasty crashes on previous RAGBRAIs and unlike when I was riding in my teens, I now fear death. I've ridden the whole route in `06, `08, and `09, and am sure I'll be doing it again.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.