velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I'm wanting to switch over from riding cages w/ street shoes, to riding clipless pedals. I'm quite certain I want to get MTB shoes so I can walk a little in them when needed.

The problem I'm worried about is that riding brakeless, I occasionally have to do a skid stop, and I'm worried about pulling out of the pedals. I ride a 49/17, so I can skid/stop fairly easy, but I would still like to get some suggestions hopefully from other people riding brakeless with clipless pedals.

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthoro_O
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009

I have mavic razors (shoes) and Time Atacs (pedals)
    This setup is great for me, and while i don't skid too much (i have a brake) when I do, it feels fine.

also brakes are smart.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I use shimano spd-m520's with some specialized comp mtb shoes, and it works great for me.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

Posted By: sfbeeI useshimano spd-m520'swith some specialized comp mtb shoes, and it works great for me.

I've got those with a pair of $50 clearance Shimano MTB shoes on my mountain bike. I'm trying to get the pedals over to my other bike, but they refuse to come off the current bike, grrr... I love the pedals, they hold up really well and even when set real loose, still hold the cleats in great.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Oh yea.. They hold you in a little too good sometimes.

I keep the float turned all the way up when I'm riding them on the fixed, so I don't accidentally clip out when pulling up for a skid. Since I pretty much never disengage from them while riding fixed, it doesn't really impact me much.... then I switched them over to my geared bike one morning before work....

While riding down a low traffic back road, some prick in a lexus suv (go figure) whips by me, with literally only a few inches of clearance. Being the level headed genius that I am, I decide to race up behind him and catch him at the next light to give him a piece of my mind. I book it up to the light, skid to a stop next to him, then instinctively try to go into a stand as I'm flipping him off... Of course the stand didn't go as planned... causing me to lose my balance, at which point I couldn't clip out and fell up against the car in the turn lane to my left.

The second most spectacular fall would be the first day I rode with them on my fixed, and fell over in front of a group of kids waiting for a school bus while trying to fakie with the clipless setup. For some reason my brain just can't seem to register clipping out properly while riding backwards.
    Specialized BG Pro shoes.

Shimano Ultegra pedals.

They work well, and the BG Pros are stiffer than the S-Works.
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009

Posted By: o_OI have mavic razors (shoes) and Time Atacs (pedals)
    This setup is great for me, and while i don't skid too much (i have a brake) when I do, it feels fine.

also brakes are smart.

+3 here, time atacs are the bee's knee's and I'd have em if i didn't get my SPD pedals and nike MTB shoes for $15 total. I tried on those razors and they felt better than anything else i've tried on.
    • CommentAuthorFDave
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009

I rode Eggbeaters for a while and loved them, but have Time Atac Aliums now and I think it was a smart move. They cost less than the Eggbeaters and feel decidedly more secure as well.
    I dig my Bebops, but I don't ride a fixie, so I don't know if they'd give you a hard time. I doubt it.
    egg beaters.
    stainless. get into it. and shoes just go try on a few dif pairs. i wear and always will ride with sidis.
    Posted By: bensonisajewCheck it DIY
    http://djcatnap.com/?p=680

Ugh.

Posted By: donnielegoegg beaters.
    stainless. get into it. and shoes just go try on a few dif pairs. i wear and always will ride with sidis.

Uhhhhggggg.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010 edited

to49, when are you going to accept that just because you dont like crank bros pedals doesnt mean they are the biggest pieces of crap ever?
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010

I had bad experiences with them, too.
    • CommentAuthorrpster
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2010

speedplays + sidi

double sided entry, super low profile for less scary cornering, and lightest weight

from speedplay's site:

"The Zero's locking mechanism does not rely on spring tension for security, so entering and exiting Zero pedals is easy, but unintended release is virtually impossible."

havent clicked out while skidding....yet
    Posted By: wes m.to49, when are you going to accept that just because you dont like crank bros pedals doesnt mean they are the biggest pieces of crap ever?

I never said they were the biggest pieces of crap ever, because they are not. Rather, I said they are horrible for track and fixed gear bikes.

They however are amazing for cross and MTB, because of their easiness to get in/out and other reason.
    • CommentAuthorBIKE NYC
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2010

I've been riding the black Eggbeaters for quite some time...I love them!!! Extremely easy to get into and feel very secure while riding.
    I've also been using sidi dominators which are great shoes, very comfortable, and have rubber on the bottom for walking around in.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

egg beaters are horrible , do not get them . Time Atacs + mtb shoes is a great setup . The trick is to put the right cleat on the left shoe, and the left cleat on the right shoe. This makes the clip out angle steeper and I have never had an accidental pop out , even skidding to the side .
    Jesus, a twice resurrected thread. Great..

Hey Matt, instead of making a blanket statement about how something sucks or won't work, how about you explain yourself a little? I value your opinion, but not when there is no reasoning behind it. Not to mention the fact that the original issue this thread was meant to address was resolved months ago.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I saw the thread had new posts , I read the topic, and responded. I didnt check how old it was, but I figured if people still posted in it, people still wanted to discus it .

Eggbeaters are bad because I've known a few people personally that have broken them, have accidental pop outs while riding , way too much float , and small contact point = lack of leverage.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.