velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorz1wap
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009

Hey guys I am looking for a cheap complete fixed gear bike since I will be going to college soon. Any suggestions on some bikes. Thanks.
    You might be able to find a conversion for about $150 or you could spend $300 for a windsor the hour.
    I think some company sells some cheap fixed gears on ebay for like $250 but they look pretty junky.
    • CommentAuthorknownaim
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009

i would suggest riding around your dad's old steel rig from the 70's until you learn more about bikes and gain more experience with cycling. otherwise, do some more research.
    • CommentAuthorz1wap
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009

I just need a cheap one because bikes get pretty fucked up in college. Being that it will be outside the majority of the time.
    • CommentAuthorcloud

did they teach you that in home room? take knownaims advice or buy a kilott from bikesdirect.com (or used) or build up a pake
    • CommentAuthorspader725

1. get old 10-speed bike
    2. pay someone/store to redish rear wheel to so that the chainline will be straight
    3. put cog+lockring to rear hub
    4. google some ways to make lockring tight
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009 edited

Posted By: spader7251. get old 10-speed bike
    2. pay someone/store to redish rear wheel to so that the chainline will be straight
    3. put cog+lockring to rear hub
    4. google some ways to make lockring tight
    telling a kid go make a suicide hub is a really bad idea.

get a proper rear wheel/hub if you go the conversion route. please.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

atleast you didnt here him say 'throw some glue in the cassette and you're off!'
    • CommentAuthorplucks
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009 edited

Bikes direct has some solid bikes for the price. Craigslist is also your friend.
    But whats your definite price point?
    • CommentAuthorz1wap

Hmm about like 300-400.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: z1wapHmm about like 300-400.
    kilo is $350 shipped. add $40 for a brake and another $40 for pedals and you're golden.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

score yourself an old bike off craigslist and convert it. You can get out for about half your price range and learn a ton about bikes in the process.
    • CommentAuthorjerome
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009

draft lite.
    love those bikes.
    Conversions suck.

Converting some 70's ten speed gives you a janky-ass fixed gear instead of a slightly less janky ass slack road/touring bike.

Converting a nice older road frame into a hacked together SWEET FIXIE gives you a bike that would've been better off as a road bike instead of half assed turned into a SWEET FIXIE.

The market is huge right now of tons of entry level fixed gear/single speed bikes with actual horizontal track ends, proper spacing, and modern amenities like 700C wheels, standardized bottom brackets, head set sizes, much much much nicer brakes etc.

Go look on craigslist for a month or two and you'll find something.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

i'd rather ride my old centurion lemans as a converted fixed gear than some of the cheaper complete fixed gears. hands down.
    • CommentAuthorroach

it's lame, but you can order a fixed gear bike from urbanoutfitters.com They have a bike shop now apparently, and the bikes are sol in completes and are around 350 I believe.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: roachit's lame, but you can order a fixed gear bike from urbanoutfitters.com They have a bike shop now apparently, and the bikes are sol in completes and are around 350 I believe.
    why would you even mention those? they are shit!
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

Posted By: the rabbiwhy would you even mention those? they are shit!

honestly, at the $350 price point, republic bikes are just about the same quality as a windsor the hour, or a kilo, or just about any entry level track bike.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009 edited

Posted By: LyKqiD
    Posted By: the rabbiwhy would you even mention those? they are shit!

honestly, at the $350 price point, republic bikes are just about the same quality as a windsor the hour, or a kilo, or just about any entry level track bike.
    they are not the same quality, at all. the reason kilos are so cheap compared to their khs cousins is that one step is taken out of the picture

most bike companies
    manufacturer + shipping->bike company/distributor + shipping->bike shop + shipping->customer

bikes direct (or of the like)
    manufacturer = shipping->bike company/distributor->customer + shipping

cutting out a middleman is what saves you the money... not really compromising quality.

now with republic/urban outfitters doing this in the "custom" fashion, they have to order all different color parts and assemble them. so you factor in how much the frame/parts (i don't say bike because they buy all the parts separately to assemble "custom" bikes) cost + labor + shipping + your profit margin and their is your msrp. seeing as they have to hire warehouse people to move all the goods and people to mail them, etc. the price to produce these bikes is going to be a lot higher (at the same quality level) than your kilo tt from bikes direct. SO HOW DO THEY MAKE THE BIKES SO CHEAP?!?!?! they use lower quality materials/parts and lower quality control standards.

republic/uo
    multiple manufacturer(s) + shipping->bike company/distributor + assembly->customer + shipping
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

I understand the manufacturer/distributor cost comparison, that can explain cutting corners with quality... Is that difference of quality significantly quantifiable though?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.