velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009

what kind of bags are everyone using? messenger? one strap backpack? two strap? what do you usually carry on your rides? what do you carry on long distance trips vs. short distance?
    I’m partial to baskets. I figure screw it, let the bike do the work...
    dime bags boooyahhh
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009

i fill my fanny pack with crickets, broken cigarettes and love letters.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009

Saddlebags (Pedro's, usually; one on each bike): innertube, multitool, levers. Sometimes my housekeys.
    Bento box (on every frame that doesn't have top-routed cables): granola/energy bars - LOTS of them, cellphone. Sometimes my housekeys.
    Inner frame bags (on anything that won't take a Bento box, and sometimes on road frames as a Bento supplement): granola bars, glucose testing equipment (I'm a diabetic). Sometimes my housekeys.

My grocery bike has a frame-mounted rear rack, with REI grocery bag panniers. I carry my Kryptonite lock and a cable in one pannier, and swap the load around between the panniers for balance.

My road and CX bikes have seatpost-mounted racks, but they're not stable enough for panniers; they often pul to the driveside, and I have to stop to keep them out of the spokes. I carry a Jandr trunk bag on those racks, which contains the locks, a few spare lights, plus whatever miscellaneous bric-a-brac I pick up.

And there's a Timbuk2 messenger bag on top of that. I got the seatpost racks after a 20-mile rural trip with the heavyass Kryptonite New York on my back for 20 miles. Never again.

The grocery bike with panniers and the Timbuk2 has handled every grocery run I've done for over two years. I can haul 18 bottles of wine, and still have room for other stuff.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I have a seat bag that I transfer between bikes. I bring it whenever I ride beyond walking distance from my house. It has a tube, levers, patches, multi tool, wrench, and a co2 system.

I also have a camelbak mule. I use it for food, water, a shell layer, a mini pump, and whatever random stuff a person would carry in their pockets. I only use this for long rides.

For cargo and groceries I use my crosscheck with a rack and panniers made from square buckets. Sometimes I use a trunk rack on the crosscheck when I go on rides and want to bring a real lunch.

I use an ordinary backpack for school books.
    You know I've had this really large old timbuk2 messenger bag for many years and I've only used that for cargo but I'm starting to rethink that idea these days.
    I always have repair tools / tubes / co2 / lock / clothes if I'm coming from or going to work / book or two / ipod / notebook / pens / and other assorted junk in there.
    I ride a track bike so loading the thing up with racks and such won't happen but I've been looking at getting one of the Ortlieb backpacks for carrying stuff around. They're huge, waterproof, and have two straps. I imagine that might be more comfortable but I'm not sure.
    I'd also like to get a hip bag for shorter trips where I just need a lock and some flat tire provisions. Not into carrying my big ass bag to the movie theater just in case I run over some glass.

I think I'll build up a nice grocery getter this summer. Just a nice low gear ratio single speed or geared road bike (depending on what pops up on craigs) with brakes and racks in every place it can have em.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

Posted By: stinky petelet the bike do the work...

Rear rack and panniers for me. After the first time I tried 'em that was the end of messenger bags, backpacks, etc. I can carry 50 pounds and not even think about it.
    > i fill my fanny pack with crickets, broken cigarettes and love letters.

QFT

I carry a backpack. It's got whatever I'll need, including bike fixin' bits, books, a computer, camera, notebook, money (though not enough), business cards, and whatever else comprises my office.
    • CommentAuthorjerome
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009

i have a pac bag.
    and a reload.
    and a rover industries backpack.
    bitches know about that.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: iron jaidenYou know I've had this really large old timbuk2 messenger bag for many years and I've only used that for cargo but I'm starting to rethink that idea these days.

The downside of a messenger bag for longer trips is that sooner or later, everything slides down to the lowest end...conveniently located right on top of your kidney. 20 miles in scenic rural West Marin County with a Kryptonite New York sitting right on my right kidney, going over bumps; ouch.

I learned my lesson. Bungie the Kryptonite to a rack, or stuff it in a pannier.

Panniers n' racks may be relentlessly uncool and old-fartish. Here in Berkeley, they're the trademark of retro-grouches and homeless guys, which might make them a little more thief-resistant. But they do exactly what they're supposed to do.
    • CommentAuthorcloud

someone clear up 'QFT' for me
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: cloudsomeone clear up 'QFT' for me
    Quite Fucking True
    Quoted For Truth, but I like your translation better.

i.e., the guy carries around his beauty.

Lately, it's been hot and I want to ride faster, so I've been wearing a cycling jersey and using the rear pockets for my wallet, hex set, phone and so forth. My notebook has to go in my shorts pocket. It's why I wear baggies.
    • CommentAuthorplucks

Currently a modded out timbuk2 messenger bag. Bike tools, phone, wallet, tubes, co2 pump, weapons.
    Small pump, rain gear, two tubes, small multi-tool for bikes, arm & leg warmers, tire lever set, power bars, bike lock.
    I only carry this stuff in the pannier on the back of the seat on my recumbent. It’s the only bike I have that I travel any real distance on.
    I always make sure I get a bunch of big envelopes and blueprint plans, then a couple of cinderblocks in my bag before I go out and ride, because then I look like a real messenger.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009

For long distance touring (unsupported) you need panniers; I use front lowriders along with the rears and prefer Cannondale. A handlebar bag comes in very handy and I leave my rear rack bare unless I need a sleeping bag or roll. Seat pack for tools and spare tube. All my racks are Jim Blackburn.

For just long distance (supported) I still like the handlebar bag for stuff you want while riding and maps. I will get by with one rear pannier or 2 small lowriders. I always have the seat pack with tools and tube of course.

3 waterbottle cages.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.