velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

i know some of you live in cities and most of you ride fixed. i ride a geared bike being i live in the hilly burbs and have no real need for a fixedgear but im just wondering what everyones average riding speed is at and how often they ride. basically im trying to figure out how long it would take me or how long it took any of you to get used to riding at say at 25mph range for a considerablly lengthy time.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009

30 mph for a considerable length of time... do I look like Merckx to you?

Within city limits I'm lucky if I get near 20mph. Probably more like 15mph once you figure in waiting at lights. On the open road riding solo I'd consider 25mph to be really respectable for me.

I started riding a two wheeler at around 4 years old. I've been riding road/mountain/fixed semi seriously for a few years.
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009

25-30mph is silly fast like wes said. i do 17-18 to get where i'm going and i don't waste my time.
    • CommentAuthorJimtorious
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009

I am a bit fat, but I like to ride in the 15mph to 19mph range. It sounds way more impressive in Kms. My commute is 21 miles round trip and I generally tack on an extra 6to 10 miles for the fun of it. I was watching the Tour the other day and the average speed going up the category 1 climb was 14mph! That made me feel really good about myself...
    • CommentAuthorM1K3

I got a single speed 6 months ago and ride 9 miles to and from work. There's a couple of good sized hills along the way and I average 17.5. That works out to be 1mph faster than I used to be on my geared commuter. I'm about the same speed on the flats, a little bit slower down hills but I'm heaps faster going uphill because I'm forced to stand up and push hard to maintain momentum (and because i'm vain enough that I'd never want to be seen walking a $1000 bike up a hill).

I've got a flip flop hub but I've never ridden the bike fixed. It's got a 42/17 ratio which gets me up the hills but would rip my legs off if i was riding fixed 45mph downhill.
    With non aero gear (Spoked wheels, open helmet, drop bars), I can hold about a good 22-23 miles per hour solo (average) on a rolling 10 mile fixed time trial, and I'm barely faster on my road bike, but I also have a compact up front (compact gearing isn't exactly TT material unless you're doing a hill climb).

30 mph average solo (not in a group) is pro level, and will require you to pretty much train for 3 hours + a day, have a coach to tell you what to do, improve your diet, pedal stroke, strength training, etc etc...
    • CommentAuthortoroadie

The TdF averages 25mph (40kph). That's over flats and mountains. But they're not human. They're cycling gods.

I have no idea how they do it. The peleton I can understand, but break aways.. WTF? If I didn't see it I wouldn't think it was possible.

I can't match that even with every advantage I can get. So I just aim for personal bests. You should probably aim for the same.
    Put in the miles, carry something sweet for when you bonk, and don't push too high a gear for too long.

After my first 550km trip I couldn't walk properly for at least a week. I was hopping up stairs etc,
    because my tendons around my knees were sore. I still mash, but I try to smooth out my efforts.

FWIW PBs:

Solo recumbent 23 mph (37 kph) over 72 miles (115km) in 3h, Mississauga to Nowhere (in the rain).

Solo on a geared road bike set for touring, (not including rests) 21 mph (33.8 kph) over 59 miles (93km) 2h45m, Toronto to Barrie.

Same bike (with rests), 16.3 mph (26 kph) over 200 miles (320km) in 12h20m, Toronto to Kingston.

On shorter runs, 20mph (33kph) is my sweet spot. (Toronto is flat). I'm happy as long as I'm over 17mph (30kph).

I just ride every day, no special training (and the results show that :). Stay within your limits. If you're aiming for TdF speeds, then wait for someone else's answer.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

When you say considerable lengths of time, I take that a bit differently than most. Are you talking centuries, metric centuries, doubles? To truly gauge your time, you should look at popping into a locally sponsored century. A good time to attain would be a 5 hour century which if you divide it out, will give you a 20mph average. I don't know how long you've been riding, but you are not going to achieve an extended long period of time at 25mph on a fixed gear bike, and only hours upon hours in the saddle with training coaches will get you into that bracket on a multi-speed bike. I ride a 53/12 on my road bike for high gear, and you're spinning fairly well at 25mph. I don't think there's anyone here who has that gearing on a fixed gear bike.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009 edited

BTW; take a look at Toroadie's personal bests; those are pretty respectable. If you can get to where you can maintain 18-22 mph solo (centuries), you'll be in probably the top 25 percent. Pros and semi-pros not included.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: RuffinitI ride a 53/12 on my road bike for high gear, and you're spinning fairly well at 25mph. I don't think there's anyone here who has that gearing on a fixed gear bike.

Isn't that the gearing that the urban outfitters bikes are equipped with?
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

I don't know what urban outfitters are, but I'll look into it.

From what I read at "http://bikes.urbanoutfitters.com/" they have theirs geared at 44/16.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I know. It was a lost attempt at sarcasm :)
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Posted By: sfbeeI know. It was a lost attempt at sarcasm :)

I had wondered.. Maybe if you got one in yellow with red and green rims and a gold chain they'd throw in the gearing... ?
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Nah... that color combination just bar spins better than the others
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

I dont know what I average in the city , but my top speed was 38mph , I know because I rode past one of those digital police speed traps.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: deermattI dont know what I average in the city , but my top speed was 38mph , I know because I rode past one of those digital police speed traps.

(pay no attention to the Sentra in the passing lane...)

:-p
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: deermattI dont know what I average in the city , but my top speed was 38mph , I know because I rode past one of those digital police speed traps.

hahahahahahaahhahaa
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: the rabbihahahahahahaahhahaa

Thank you! I'll be here all week! Be sure to tip your waitress!

The Miami Beach audience is the greatest audience in the world...
    - Jackie Gleason
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

Posted By: eaglerock

"beat that karl lewissss!!!
    but no, it was a one lane road , and kinda scary .
    My average speed, stop signs, pedestrians, and all, is about 15 mph. I actually did 56 mph down a mountain near here when I was a teenager. It was terrifying.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.