velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

i am building up my litespeed ultimate and i cant seem to find a wheelset in the $1000 range that dosent have spoke issues or a shitty hub and is under 1600g. i can spend up to 1500 and need it to be compatible with sram red. but i could just use a Shimano casette if the wheel is good
    thanks
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009

Build it
    thats what i want to do but i want to use a good wheel
    • CommentAuthorveggie

You want to build them but you want them to be good?
    no i want to buy them complete. i dont trust myself to build a wheel. sorry i misunderstood
    • CommentAuthorveggie

oh, well I cant help you there.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Here you go:
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/MAVCDR3D
    Mavic Ksyrium Elite Black (700c)
    675 frt/ 875 rear
    $800 for the pair

Where's that EASY button?
    thanks, and i think the easy button is on the discussions page and the button says ''start new discussion"
    do you think the low spoke count will be a problem for a 170 to 180 pound rider?
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

No I do not as long as you keep them tensioned correctly, which means watching the true also.
    ok thanks and i wont abuse them with bad roads or harsh riding so that should also help a little.do you know how stiff they are?
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Personally, I do not, but the wheels you are looking for are extreme wheels. These are built for road racing and should take a beating also. I've been running 14 ga 36 spoke aero rims for years on my road bike and they are very stiff, it's the frame that will either transmit the road vibrations to you or dampen it. These wheels should be stiff. I haven't ridden a titanium frame or a Litespeed.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

You can alway keep these for racing specifically and get a different set of all purpose wheels for training with the money you save on these. This looks to be a very good price for what you're looking for.
    thanks, i wont be racing them but i want a wheel that will match the quality of the frame and somthing that will let me get up and go when i feel like it.
    • CommentAuthortoroadie
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009 edited

Where are you riding? Are you counting watts?

If it's flat and you're maintaining constant speed for long stretches, then consider aerodynamics instead of weight.

Ksyrium Equipe 2007, Ksyrium ES are great for weight/climbing, and are aero, but there are more aero wheels yet.

source.

As for the often debated aerospokes they're 23 Watts at 50kph (listed as "rose aerospoke"). Heavy as hell, but they actually are fairly efficient.

FWIW: I love Mavic's cosmic elite wheels. They're cheaper, but they're also heavier 1900g / set. But with a deeper rim profile I'd guess they're a bit more aero than Ksyriums. (No actual data on that, just a guess). And they can stand a lot of weight. I'm 190lbs and when touring carry about 50lbs of gear and they hold up.
    i will be doing a ton of climbing so aero wheels look cool but will just hold me back and i dont count watts. nice chart
    I like my Mavic Ksyrium Elites a lot on my Look 555, but if I was looking to spend 1500ish, I'd look into some Ksyrium SL's and you'll save a bit of weight.

I've put about 2000+ miles on my wheels without an issue, and everyone I know loves SL's. I'm about 170 myself, so you'll be good. The only wheels you really need to worry about are like really light DT Swiss climbing stuff...
    ok thanks i was looking at the sl premiums and so do you think i could be safe with those or do you think i should just go with the sl's

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.