velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwhezaleigh
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009

I've noticed there aren't any hub discussions in general.
    Which hubs are good, which hubs are bad? Which have a good price point?

Personally, I see origin8 all over the place. Are they worth it?

Which do you like? Miche?

are Phils better than record and dura-ace?

Lets get this talked through for the betterment of all!
    • CommentAuthorwhezaleigh
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009 edited

i just found the favorite hubs thread, but it seems like a phil is good thread. how about some others...
    • CommentAuthorjerome
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009

i have/have had phils, formulas, suzue promaxs, miches, .
    miches are cheap and have worked really well for me. the cog carrier system is really good if you switch your cog a lot.
    i like my phils a lot for a daily rider hub but i had to change the bearings due to the fact that they were messengered on for 6 years in chicago and a few years in boston. the hubs are a little loose but thy might need new bearings again.
    formulas are cheap and seem to get the job done. i never rode them for very long though.
    i just got my set of suzue promaxs. they seem alright but ive only put 25-50 miles on them. we will see.

i would strongly suggest sealed bearing hubs vs. looseball any day unless you are skilled at overhauling hubs. if you are than DA hubs are the way to go. they spin for days and are a great hub.
    • CommentAuthorhenrydec1
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2009

i have dura-ace i love em' so good!
    • CommentAuthormondaugen
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009

you may do some research on mack hubs from poland.
    i have two sets (both single fixed low flange) and it's unlikely for me to assume that you can get a better deal.
    well... with an open end budget you might have a go with phils, pauls, white ind. or chub hub (ugly beast).
    I have a couple sets of IRO hubs which I think are Fomulas. High flange, sealed bearings. They have worked great for me and IRO periodically has deals on them.

I have a rear Harris Cyclery hub which looks just like the IROs/Formulas but has loose bearings. These have held up well too.

Don't get me wrong...I would LOVE some Phils or Pauls
    Honestly, for the money, formula (for street riding) replaced with Phil Wood bearings is the best way to go. You have a good, durable hub, with a great bearing.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

I like Phil Woods but if you were to give me a choice of Phil or Campy Record, I'd take the Campy (like a bit of maintenance now and then). I think what Jerome is saying is he likes cartridge bearing hubs better than loose bearing hubs (either can be sealed or not). If you are looking at a bike that is a fair-weather bike, you don't need it to be sealed. If you don't know anything about mechanics and just want to get on and ride, then cartridge bearings are what you are looking for. If you are looking for a very low maintenance, all weather, extreme duty hub then you are probably looking for a sealed cartridge bearing hub similar to a Phil, but as mentioned before, you can always get a nice hub and put a Phil or Phil-quality bearing in it.
    • CommentAuthorChainslap
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2009

I have a Mavic Ellipse wheelset for my fixed gear build, wich i hope to complete very soon..
    Since my build still isn't complete yet, i've only gotten to spin them in my hands.
    I noticed how prefectly true they spun and what an incredible high spoke tension they have, i guess due to the fact that they use straight-pull (?) spokes..
    What can be said about the hubs in these wheels compared to more high-end hubs like Phils or Profiles and compared to more regular type/priced hubs like for instance Formula's?

I know i have a pretty decent wheelset, but i'm just curious how they hold up to regular (ab)use on the street (i don't plan to do any sort of trickery, maybe just an occasional skid..)
    formula hubs cost wise, durability wise and looks wise fit the bill for most applications, they're cheap and easily serviceable
    • CommentAuthorstntjmpr
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009

Does anyone know anything about Joy Tech?
    Posted By: stntjmprDoes anyone know anything about Joy Tech?

Let us consider this the only place where you will find any answers to your question. There is no point asking twice, it just makes everyone want to tongue lash you.
    Posted By: suicide_doorstongue lash you.

In a bad way.
    The tension is so high because there are so few spokes. It's one of the problems with low spoke counts, in fact.

If you ask nicely, will the tongue lashing be the nice way?
    • CommentAuthorRasmus
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited

Posted By: Chainslap I have a Mavic Ellipse wheelset for my fixed gear build, wich i hope to complete very soon..
    Since my build still isn't complete yet, i've only gotten to spin them in my hands.
    I noticed how prefectly true they spun and what an incredible high spoke tension they have, i guess due to the fact that they use straight-pull (?) spokes..
    What can be said about the hubs in these wheels compared to more high-end hubs like Phils or Profiles and compared to more regular type/priced hubs like for instance Formula's?

I know i have a pretty decent wheelset, but i'm just curious how they hold up to regular (ab)use on the street (i don't plan to do any sort of trickery, maybe just an occasional skid..)

I ride my Ellipse around the great bikecity of Copenhagen every day rain or whatever. They are amazing I feel completely safe when riding fast and turning at the same time. I have gone over a untold number of curbs in the 6 months they have carried my around my front wheel have gone maybe 2mm untrue over the time but its impossible to feel when riding. The only real downside is that the back hub needs a spacer to go between cog and lockring if you plan on skidding to stop. :)
    I really enjoy Profile hubs.
    Dude, she is kickin' his tongue's ass!
    Whipped.
    a slimmy way to get whipped

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.