velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormymbta
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009

So I was riding down beacon st. boston today and my effing chain comes flying off my chain ring. I freak out going at least 20mph without breaks (I put one on right when I got to my apt.) and dive off onto the grassy area between the street n sidewalk. Im fine and amazingly my bike is fine too. well except for the chain issue. luckily i had plyers in my bag and was able to put my chain back on.
    My chain didnt break, it just came off somehow. The chainline is perfect and the chain was tight. Any ideas why this happened? Thank you
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

How as the chain tension? If it's too loose, this could occur... but it would have to be pretty fucking loose and visually apparent for that to happen.

That's a scary situation, and a testament to why everyone should use a brake while riding in the city. Hitting the tracks brakeless is one thing, but you never know what's going to happen on the roads, and if shit like this happens with out brakes, you could end up dead.
    • CommentAuthormymbta

Im 96% sure the chain was tight.
    Jesus that sucks. No idea how that happened. Beacon street has some pretty gnarly sections but you probably woulda mentioned if you hit a pothole or something.
    Usually with proper chain tension and a half respectable chainline that kinda thing just doesn't happen.
    And remember, you can always ted shred to a stop when that happens. If you don't freak out you'll be fine and won't run into a goddamn tree :)
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009

Posted By: mymbtaIm 96% sure the chain was tight.

It's that last 4% that's scary. Glad you're OK.
    that sucks. i would say buy a brake and i guess make sure your chain is tight 100% of the time. glad your ok
    • CommentAuthorjam guy
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009

wow man.... Glad you are alright. I honestly cannot figure how it happened but I just wanted to say, "RIDE SAFE!"
    that same kinda shit happened to my friend today in SF, his chain was tight and he jst skipped kinda hard and it just popped off. I was thinking it could be because he had a smaller cog? Does this work?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009 edited

After 10 seconds of contemplation I will say yes that makes sense. The smaller the cog the greater the chain wiggle to cog diameter ratio, thus a greater likelihood of dropping the chain.

Does that make sense to anyone but me?

Maybe not because no matter what the cog size the teeth are the same size and the teeth are what the chain needs to jump over.

I've confused myself. Ok, bedtime.
    • CommentAuthorFrey
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009

ive lost my chain whip skidding really hard, i attributed it to frame/wheel flex and probably slightly too loose tension.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude

i popped my chain off going pretty durn fast on arch st skip stopping. thanks ted shred! i think sometimes there's just enough flex lengthwise in the chain for this to happen when under stress, even with no slack.
    Posted By: wes m.After 10 seconds of contemplation I will say yes that makes sense. The smaller the cog the greater the chain wiggle to cog diameter ratio, thus a greater likelihood of dropping the chain.

Does that make sense to anyone but me?

Maybe not because no matter what the cog size the teeth are the same size and the teeth are what the chain needs to jump over.

I've confused myself. Ok, bedtime.

haha this is exactly what i was thinking
    • CommentAuthorMAVERICK

your chain is probably not the right thickness. your chainring/cog are probably 3/32 and your chain is 1/8 or something
    • CommentAuthorjerome

i dont even know where to start. you can run 1/8 chains on 3/32 stuff no problem.
    why didnt you just ted shred instead of ditching the bike?
    why do people feel the need to ride brakeless without confidence in their ability to stop in any situation? \man yall are dumb.
    also its a brake, not a break
    • CommentAuthortimmy240
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2009 edited

same thing happened to me a week ago. I was riding along, nothing crazy happened and all of a sudden, my chain flies off! It was weird and I haven't had a repeat , but just keep that brake on for good measure!
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: jeromei dont even know where to start. you can run 1/8 chains on 3/32 stuff no problem.
    why didnt you just ted shred instead of ditching the bike?
    why do people feel the need to ride brakeless without confidence in their ability to stop in any situation? \man yall are dumb.
    also its a brake, not a break

Some people panic in situations. It happens in every situation. All that matters is he is alright.
    • CommentAuthormymbta

Posted By: MAVERICKyour chain is probably not the right thickness. your chainring/cog are probably 3/32 and your chain is 1/8 or something

After a couple of days of consideration, I think this might be the culprit. Im not positive, but i can't think of any other reason. I'm gunna get a new chain just to play it safe.

thanks to everyone for input and concern. I hope it doenst happen to anyone else. scary shit
    How old is the chain? Chain and/or sprocket wear would do this.

I'm glad you got brakes.
    Posted By: MAVERICKyour chain is probably not the right thickness. your chainring/cog are probably 3/32 and your chain is 1/8 or something

95% that is your problem, because I have the same one.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009

Posted By: jeromealso its a brake, not a break

THANK YOU

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.