velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorfirebush
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009

questions, i need answers!

So i have a flat tire on my tubulars. I took off the punctured tire. it had rim tape on it before so i took that off, but it left a bunch of sticky residue on the rim.

The sticky stuff is all evenly coated on the rim, i was thinking i could just put the new Tufo Extreme rim tape over that and it would be fine. is that the case?

or should i clean the rim completely of old tape residue?
    Might as well take some WD40 and clean it off.

Can you use Veloplugs instead of rimtape?
    • CommentAuthoratanz
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009 edited

I usually clean the rims when I use Tufo extreme tape. its a bitch, but makes installing the new tubie much easier and aligning on the rim is cleaner. I use a combination of goo gone and rubbing alcohol, will take about an hour to do a good job, but its worth it.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: terrible_one49Might as well take some WD40 and clean it off.

Can you use Veloplugs instead of rimtape?
    TUBULAR TIRES

Posted By: atanzI usually clean the rims when I use Tufo extreme tape. its a bitch, but makes installing the new tubie much easier and aligning on the rim is cleaner. I use a combination of goo gone and rubbing alcohol, will take about an hour to do a good job, but its worth it.
    glue works infinitely better than tape.
    • CommentAuthoratanz
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009 edited

I dont know what tape you're using but I've tried to remove a tubular from a wheel with a broken spoke taped with tufo extreme - I seriously gave up after about 30 minutes of pulling/prying/etc. that wheel still has a broken spoke. however the tubulars i've had glued on with glue come off within 2 minutes.

just my 2 cents. (this is on an aluminum rim, not carbon - maybe its a bit different for those)
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: atanz(this is on an aluminum rim, not carbon - maybe its a bit different for those)
    yeah, maybe. i've seen tape that comes off easily and glue that takes half an hour.
    • CommentAuthorfirebush

ok thanks guys. I will clean the rim with some rubbing alcohol i guess.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2010

So does anyone else have any ideas how to remove old glue from a tubular rim?
    Don't try to clean all of the dried glue off of the rim unless it is contaminated by brake dust, road grime or what not. The old glue is actually beneficial because it gives the rim some "tooth" to mount the tire against. If you absolutely have to clean it off I recommend using acetone and a lot of elbow grease.
    Also, you can use a wire wheel to remove especially stubborn glue from alloy rims.
    • CommentAuthorpeterabbit
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010

Use Acetone or Naptha. Also, read this site. It has ALL the answers.
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010

I used Acetone to clean off the glue after my first two applications with regular tubular cement. After that I used Tufo tape and its extremely sticky and extremely easier to take off. I've had the ability to reuse it by just peeling the tire off, three times.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011

Okay my tubular tire is coming apart. The white cotton has parted from the tire. WTH? Is this normal?
    • CommentAuthorbowermb

If you have a wheel with old glue, you definitely want to remove it all before applying the new layers. A fresh surface is a much better application than a rough surface of old dried up glue.

If you are still have problems removing the old glue using goo-gone and acetone or rubbing alcohol, I recommend using a dremel tool with a soft bit attached (in combination w/ the cleaners). It will take all the glue off and leave you with a clean, safe surface to apply the new glue and tubular.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

I'm not having a prob with the rim it's the tire. Is it common for the cotton to separate from the tire?
    • CommentAuthorShaku

dont rez an old thread, there's the quick question thread for a reason

Posted By: danzap209I'm not having a prob with the rim it's the tire. Is it common for the cotton to separate from the tire?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011

Its fine, I thin some people get too trigger happy saying dont bump
    • CommentAuthorvelomelo

hey danzap I have the same problem I have Vittoria Rally comps. A low end tire but still nice. I just glued the cotton back on with contact cement, seems to have made a good bond. As I now have over 500 mi. and it is still good. I was told to do this by a localBS. Contact cement is different from tire cement. Gluing on sewups is not to be taking lightly. I would consult the experts. To clean the rim I use lacquer thinner. Some one said WD40 if you use that then you still need to get the WD off.
    Also I'm glad you brought this subject up. As sometimes there is some confusion about Sewups. The link that peterabbit provided was excellent .
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

Do I need to take the tire off? Can I try to glue it while the tire is on?
    • CommentAuthorvelomelo

Because the cotton strip is coming off the tire it would be a good thing to do so, your call my friend . I like DAP Weldwood contact cement. Brush on a thin coat both sides wait 15 min. press together. Are you gluing or taping on the tire? I like 3M Fast Tack. I have used tape, both Tufo and Zefel I like the latter by far.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.