velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

Why isnt there already a thread on this? Some of you must care. Vande Velde is my favorite rider this year but I'm not super hopeful about his chances. Underdog, American, nice guy, etc. I'd be happy for anyone from team columbia to do well... Go George!. Astana... Go Levi! As you can see I am blatantly biased towards Americans. As far as lance goes, I'd be happy for him to win if hes America's only shot towards the end.

That team time trial was awesome. Looks like Cadel lost the tour within the first week, terrible luck.
    I care about the Tour only because I care about bikes and I like watching people race bikes. What I couldn't care less about are the riders themselves, the politics, and the stupid doping scandals. I say let the riders do whatever drugs they want, and I'm sure in the end they will empty and soulless, even though they have their yellow jerseys and their wins. I'd say that would be punishment enough. I hate when the overpiad dentsits come into the shop I work at and start gossiping about Astana this and Saxo Bank that and Shcleck and blah blah blah. Yes they are great riders, amazing atheletes, and I'm sure some of them are really cool. But give me a break, I couldn't give two shits about these prima donnas and what drink mix they use. Hell, if I got a massage after every ride and had a team pay for my food and a coach and my FREE bikes and parts and shoes and jerseys and travel and everything, I'd be so thankful. I most certainly wouldn't strut around like a douche like some of the riders, proclaiming myself to be the fastest (Cavendish, Boonen, the list goes on). At the shop, their is a poster of Fausto Coppi standing next to his bike covered in mud somewhere on some remote pass in god knows where France, and every time I look at him and his lack of support cars, helmet, drink mixes, energy chew whatevers, clipless pedals, etc. etc. I can't help but think what a man he was, and what a bunch of sissies the pro peleton is made up of. Could I complete the tour? No. Could I even be competitive on one stage? No. But, since I'm sitting behind a computer, then I can safely ridicule them because I'm a cynical and spiteful dick.
    Posted By: RideEverydayI care about the Tour only because I care about bikes and I like watching people race bikes. What I couldn't care less about are the riders themselves, the politics, and the stupid doping scandals. At the shop, their is a poster of Fausto Coppi standing next to his bike covered in mud somewhere on some remote pass in god knows where France, and every time I look at him and his lack of support cars, helmet, drink mixes, energy chew whatevers, clipless pedals, etc. etc. I can't help but think what a man he was, and what a bunch of sissies the pro peleton is made up of.

+2!!
    Yeah, that's about how I feel.

That said, I really love watching Mark Cavendish in the last klick. That dude moves.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: stinky pete
    Posted By: RideEverydayI care about the Tour only because I care about bikes and I like watching people race bikes. What I couldn't care less about are the riders themselves, the politics, and the stupid doping scandals. At the shop, their is a poster of Fausto Coppi standing next to his bike covered in mud somewhere on some remote pass in god knows where France, and every time I look at him and his lack of support cars, helmet, drink mixes, energy chew whatevers, clipless pedals, etc. etc. I can't help but think what a man he was, and what a bunch of sissies the pro peleton is made up of.

+2!!

Well said.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

I enjoyed watching Lance today, just seeing him back in the game and doing really well for himself. Saw the end of stage five, Voekler did one hell of a sprint! Good times.
    • CommentAuthortoroadie
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited

+1 Voekler. He's been on so many break aways that's it's hard to believe he hadn't shot himself in despair for having always been caught just before the finish line. What's the opposite of schadenfreude? E.g. "delight in the accomplishment of others", nachas is close but emphasizes pride instead of joy.

I'm surprised by Columbia/Highroad's relative performance, especially since they've branded themselves as an anti-doping team. They split the peleton in stage two. I have never seen that before. In 2008 or 2007 Vinokourov's team tried to break from the peleton in a bid to advance his time a bit, but couldn't. In today's stage (5) Columbia was again very aggressive early on. If a team isn't doping and can out perform the others, it gives hope to those few who decide not to cheat.

That said they probably are doping a bit, within what the rules allow (i.e. hypoxic training or maybe some new undetectable amgen agent up to the allowable limit of hemoglobin).
    • CommentAuthortoroadie

During the TTT 5 of 20 teams had crashes or ran into the barriers on that short 39km course.

I laughed a bit at that, I figure that by now they'd learn how not to crash. I know they're hauling ass and what they're doing is inhuman, but 25% is kind of high.

Re: pampered pros (RideEveryday, Joshua, stinky pete, jam guy and others). Yeah, but most pro sports / athletes are like that.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

You guys are pretty cynical. If you watched the interviews you might notice that a good portion of the riders are down to earth guys who really enjoy cycling. I haven't noticed their per capita up their own assness as being higher than velospace posters or society in general.
    Posted By: wes m.You guys are pretty cynical. If you watched the interviews you might notice that a good portion of the riders are down to earth guys who really enjoy cycling. I haven't noticed their per capita up their own assness as being higher than velospace posters or society in general.

Definitely true of most riders, but the ones who are cocky are enough so as to overshadow the cool ones.
    • CommentAuthorgchesterton
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009 edited

Posted By: RideEverydayI can't help but think ... what a bunch of sissies the pro peleton is made up of.

Are you insane? Every rider in the peloton would ride with broken bones and pain if their team asked them to. They suffer far more than any other athletes. What's arrogant about that?

Posted By: RideEverydayCould I complete the tour? No.

I think you've made my point.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: RideEverydayAt the shop, their is a poster of Fausto Coppi standing next to his bike covered in mud somewhere on some remote pass in god knows where France, and every time I look at him and his lack of support cars, helmet, drink mixes, energy chew whatevers, clipless pedals, etc. etc. I can't help but think what a man he was, and what a bunch of sissies the pro peleton is made up of.
    it's pretty well known that there has been a correlation between the Tour and doping.

Said by: Hans HalterFor as long as the Tour has existed, since 1903, its participants have been doping themselves. No dope, no hope. The Tour, in fact, is only possible because — not despite the fact — there is doping. For 60 years this was allowed. For the past 30 years it has been officially prohibited. Yet the fact remains: great cyclists have been doping themselves, then as now.

riders frequently took amphetamines to keep energy up. in '67, Tom Simpson died during one of the stages because of his performance-enhancing drug use. Merckx tested positive for EPO.

drug use has been a huge part of the Tour since the begining.

are all those dudes really so respectable now?

the current tour is faster, stronger, and if it were ever possible to let someone like Merckx or Coppi (in thier heyday) race against Cavendish or Armstrong, even with no morden ammenities (or shit, give coppi and merckx clipless pedals), i assure to you that the new guys would take the classics to school.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Doping is part of pretty much all professional sports so in terms of athletes in general, I'd say yes, cyclists are respectable.

Of course old school athletes can't compete now, thats also the case with most sports.

Merckx could probably beat up 95% of the peleton in a fist fight though. I think the old school riders have more tough guy status.

Doping has definitely taken cycling down a peg or two. Its a bummer that cheating is so important for winning. Since they are all cheating it puts them on somewhat of a level playing field so I guess that salvages a little of the competition. As long as everyone is doped or everyone is clean the race is fair. I wish it were fair off dope though. That way I could see what a person sans dope is really capable of. I remember seeing a video where LeMond said that increased doping by other riders made it physically impossible for him to even finish the tour because he was clean.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009

Posted By: wes m.Merckx could probably beat up 95% of the peleton in a fist fight though. I think the old school riders have more tough guy status.
    Every rider in the peloton would ride with broken bones and pain if their team asked them to.

Gesink finished stage 5 with a broken wrist. That's pretty amazing.

What I'm actually agreeing with is how amazing the earlier athletes were. I'm not saying they were better or worse than the riders today. I don't know. But I know those dudes were awesome.

• CommentAuthortjchad
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009

How many years ago was it the Tyler Hamilton broke his collarbone in the first week and still finished the entire tour AND placed well up in the GC? Doping or no- these guys ride through moutains of pain in the stage races. I don't think any of them are pussies. Some of them are assholes, sure, but they all rock.

I personally am routing for Armstrong because I believe him to be one hell of a competitor. Cancellara would be nice as a winner this year as well.
    Posted By: gchesterton
    Posted By: RideEverydayI can't help but think ... what a bunch of sissies the pro peleton is made up of.

Are you insane? Every rider in the peloton would ride with broken bones and pain if their team asked them to. They suffer far more than any other athletes. What's arrogant about that?

Posted By: RideEverydayCould I complete the tour? No.

I think you've made my point.

Posted By: RideEveryday Could I complete the tour? No. Could I even be competitive on one stage? No. But, since I'm sitting behind a computer, then I can safely ridicule them because I'm a cynical and spiteful dick.

Read the whole post. And besides, I meant for their to be a hair of sarcasam. It's weird, I try to be a dick, but it seems people gravitate twoards me moreso when I do. Anyhow, Tour=cool race, but slightly over played.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009

2500 miles over three weeks is anything but overplayed.
    if anything, we don't care about it enough in this country.
    What's the tour de france? This is a long thread for something a lot of people haven't heard of.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009

I watched the first day closely, but haven't been able to follow the rest due to a shitty work schedule, and the fact that my house has been under siege by contractors repairing flood damage that occurred in April. Fortunately that's all over with now, so I can pick up where they're at now, and waste away on the couch with my laptop :)

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.