velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I know there is some hate for drivers here because of their rude driving, but do motorcyclists face the same problems that cyclists face with cars? If so, when and if they voice their opinions, will they be taken more seriously since they hold a liscense?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009

My father has been riding motorcycles for nearly 50 years. He faces some problems, mostly with people not seeing him. Its not as bad as it is for me on a bicycle though for three reasons : 1) His motorcycle is insanely loud so even if you dont see him you know he is close 2) People in cars know that he is entitled to as much of the lane as he wants 3) My dad and the people he rides with are a particularly intimidating bunch so assholes dont play games with them like they might with cyclists.

Will they get taken more seriously by cops... maybe. Depends on what kind of motorcyclist you are. My dad is a firm believer that no matter who calls the cops and no matter whos right, hes going to jail. Maybe if you werent a biker gang type you'd have a better shot.
    Posted By: wes m.My father has been riding motorcycles for nearly 50 years. He faces some problems, mostly with people not seeing him. Its not as bad as it is for me on a bicycle though for three reasons : 1) His motorcycle is insanely loud so even if you dont see him you know he is close 2) People in cars know that he is entitled to as much of the lane as he wants 3) My dad and the people he rides with are a particularly intimidating bunch so assholes dont play games with them like they might with cyclists.

Will they get taken more seriously by cops... maybe. Depends on what kind of motorcyclist you are. My dad is a firm believer that no matter who calls the cops and no matter whos right, hes going to jail. Maybe if you werent a biker gang type you'd have a better shot.
    Why does justice work against your dad?
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

I ride. It is a lot worse because your going twice as fast.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Because he is mean looking and has a bad attitude.
    should my affinity for bikes but hate for drivers lead me to using motorcycles instead of cars?
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

Sometimes it doesn't matter if you are respectful to cops, if you are riding a badass flat black chopper, a mean old cafe racer, or a sportbike. The cops will still get up in your shit, even if you are riding slow they will get behind you and wait til you do something dumb like not signal early enough or lifting the front wheel a little uphill leaving an intersection.

I have heard "I didn't see him" come out of the mouth of more than one idiot who slammed into me, one time they got a ticket for failing to yield to oncoming traffic, and another the cop comforted the car driver saying "It's OK motorcycles are hard to see" as my girlfriend and I lay in the street bleeding. So cops are a mixed bag, as usual.

The advantage you have is being able to use acceleration to get out of tight situations, and i think some would be harassers/intimidators realize that you will likely be able to catch up to them, so they don't pull the kind of shit they would with a bicyclist.

The biggest problem by far is people just coming on over into your lane, second is left hooks.

I rode Vespa motorscooters and motorcycles (Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, and Gilera) for 13 years and I parked my bike in 2002 when I moved to Portland, mainly because people drive so slow, the freeway system sucks, and you can't lane-split like i could legally in California. Getting back into bicycles has really worked out for me though, but someday I'll finish that Triumph chopper I started collecting parts for 10 years ago.
    • CommentAuthorupthemaiden
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited

I think it's probably pretty even, a lot of the same problems, and a lot of different problems. A lot of people definitely take you more serious on a motorcycle, because they are considered a genuine form of transportation by the majority of society, but you'll also get harrassed by cops non stop. Most people assume that anyone on a bike is a joke who was too lazy/stupid to learn to drive, can't afford it, or lost their license, or just never grew up, so I have low hopes that the majority of people will ever care about cyclists. Motorcycles clearly have the edge here with the cool factor, so random people are more likely to leave you alone instead of messing with you in their car. At the same time, I can do absolutely anything I want on a bicycle right infront of a cop, and not even get a second glance. I guaruntee if you're on (certain types of) a motorcycle, you'll get pulled over for doing nothing wrong. Not even in that "you didn't think you did anything wrong" kind of way, but seriously staying under the speed limit, using your signals, staying in the right lane, a cop will tail you, and pull you over and complain about you changing lanes too fast, or saying he can't see your license plate, even if it's where it's supposed to be, and lit up.

A lot of the skills transferred over. You can't just blow through an intersection with ignorant right-of-way like you can with a car, even if you're on a motorcycle, because cars ability to see anything only kicks in when you're big enough to cause them serious physical harm, so if you're on a 20lb bicycle or a 400lb motorcycle, they'll still pull out in front of you.

The other problem is that people in cars ASSUME that no one on a bike has a license. I have two classes of drivers licenses, insurance, and more VOLUNTARY drivers ed training than 95% of people on the road. I'm a completely calm and responsible driver, I just happen to prefer my bike because I live in the city and have no practical use to drive because I'm not lazy like the 95% I previously mentioned. They're still going to look at me and assume something is wrong with me, but they're welcome to think that as they're spending half of their commute sitting at redlights and looking for a parking spot.

Lastly, I think cars also tend to stay calmer with motorcycles because of the possibilty of retaliation. Motorcycles still have enough of a reputation that you could run one off the road, and still get away with saying he was speeding and tried to pass you around a blind corner, but if it doesn't work out, you're going to get the 2 in wide lug nut I keep with me through your windshield, and you're never going to get close enough for a description or license plate number again. You can only mess with a car on a bicycle if you're in awful traffic or know you're close to a skinny alley or staircase.

Also, to add one last note.... I think motorcyclist hate car drivers more than bicyclists. Bicyclists kinda get trashed from all aspects of society, so we just kind of accept it, and realize that car drivers being angry, lazy and voilent is a fact of life. There are a lot more motorcycles on the roads, and a lot of them are just people with money to spend, who in general have better standing in society, so when someone insults or threatens them, they're willing to put up a bigger fight, and probably have the resources to get a better result. Not to mention it's one thing to scratch a $200 bike frame, or bend a rim, but if you hit some guys $12K motorcycle, his insurance company is going to have you by the balls. Some of those harleys are worth well over $20,000
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

I've been cycling seriously for 34 years, been riding a motorcycle legally for 33 years and have been driving farm machinery since I could reach a clutch. The problem with drivers is that they are safe, comfortable, fast, insulated and have the law of gross tonnage at thier disposal. I've run into the same problems with all of the above vehicles vs cars. Don't get in their way or you disturb their little closed-in world. What happens outside of the car makes no difference unless they have to get out, sorta like a goldfish.
    If you don't take the lane, they will take it from you and ensure that you are no longer an issue. If you do take the lane, you are in thier way and they will eventually own it and let you know. Bikes are fast and manueverable, but lack protection (law of gross tonnage) if you tangle, you will lose. There is no way that you on two wheels have ANY protection from a determined cager.
    Little story, it's not just 2 wheelers.. I'm driving down the road on my TRACTOR. It has a loader on it with 8 20" spikes protruding from it. I'm coming up to my left hand turn and have taken the middle of the road so that they know that I am turning (besides sigmaling) and I start to make my turn when the car behind me (just got there) decides to pass me on the left. Now my loader is about 4 feet off the ground and this jerk passes me, missing me by a foot or two. IF I hadn't seen him gun it, he would have had a convertible with likely no head. I was absolutely legal.
    So... it doesn't matter what you are driving, they are only thinking of the one in the perfect little sphere of a car. If you disturb that world, it's your fault because they DO own the road.
    • CommentAuthorG star

as a messenger in the city---- it is all out warfare to be on the streets of LA--- the law of trying to stay alive outweighs the safety of the civil code--- I dont ride for comfort, excersize or looks-- I ride to pay my rent.
    How times have changed on the streets since the days of rotory phones and quiet side streets... I just thank God im still in one piece-- I have at least 3 or 4 near misses a day ( even If I obey the Law perfectly).. The Motorcycles that do this job are "crazy", im "crazy" and I cringe and the thought of my ride being "comfortable" sheeeeesh....
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I think a lot of people have motorcycles because they can't afford a car, there are cheaper to buy, register and insure. Not everyone on a motorcycle is a doctor or a lawyer aka weekend warrior. And not everyone is an outlaw biker. There are as many different types of motorcyclists as there are bicyclists.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: SkidMarkI think a lot of people have motorcycles because they can't afford a car, there are cheaper to buy, register and insure. Not everyone on a motorcycle is a doctor or a lawyer aka weekend warrior. And not everyone is an outlaw biker. There are as many different types of motorcyclists as there are bicyclists.

Yea I like it for long rides across town. I have a 1978 CB125s for commuting and I have a 1977 CB750 for fun rides.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: G staras a messenger in the city---- it is all out warfare to be on the streets of LA--- the law of trying to stay alive outweighs the safety of the civil code--- I dont ride for comfort, excersize or looks-- I ride to pay my rent.
    How times have changed on the streets since the days of rotory phones and quiet side streets... I just thank God im still in one piece-- I have at least 3 or 4 near misses a day ( even If I obey the Law perfectly).. The Motorcycles that do this job are "crazy", im "crazy" and I cringe and the thought of my ride being "comfortable" sheeeeesh....

Stop foolin' son!
    Posted By: SkidMark Not everyone on a motorcycle is a doctor or a lawyer aka weekend warrior.

This is true, as I myself had only a bike for transportation for a couple years, and would ride it in snow and sub-freezing temperatures just because I've never had the slightest desire to buy a car, but there are a lot more motorcyclists with better social standing than bicyclists. Not to say rich people don't like bicycles. Anyone that would blow $5,000 on a bicycle is beyond rediculously rich to me, but they atleast like cycling enough to buy a bike that nice. Motorcycles are a huge status symbol in society, and the kind of thing that people with money will go buy just to park in their driveway. Nice bicycles are really only status symbols between people with bikes. No body outside the cycling community ever looks a full carbon road bike with Dura ace and cares, but most people will still give anyone on a motorcycle a second glance.

On top of all that, people in cars will NEVER take cyclists seriously as long as people are still riding around in spandex. Just not gonna happen.
    • CommentAuthorG star

truth is A: i aint your son
    B: they might be burryin' my ass with my bicycle one day.....................
    C: didn't I see you downtown at MJ's procession cryin on your tricycle.... move along, kid, move along......
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: G startruth is A: i aint your son
    B: they might be burryin' my ass with my bicycle one day.....................
    C: didn't I see you downtown at MJ's procession cryin on your tricycle.... move along, kid, move along......

Damn sonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.......
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I had a 1981 yamaha xs650 special for a while that i got a heck of a deal on through a friend. I ended up trading it for a nice road bike after a few months of trying to chase down a short in the charging system. I'd like to get a used shadow some day for some hill country riding, but I'm too busy blowing my money on bicycle shit and music equipment to save up.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: sfbeeI had a 1981 yamaha xs650 special for a while that i got a heck of a deal on through a friend. I ended up trading it for a nice road bike after a few months of trying to chase down a short in the charging system. I'd like to get a used shadow some day for some hill country riding, but I'm too busy blowing my money on bicycle shit and music equipment to save up.

I am having a shit ton of trouble with my 125 right now. Something is up with the carb and I cannot figure it out.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.