velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

i was wondering if it was a foolish move to put some 40 cm track bars on my road bike. i was just wondering if any one rides with track bars on their road bikes?
    thanks
    leebo
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

i did for a little while on my zunow, simply because i had them lying around. i dug it, after riding a track bike for so long, you get comfortable with that position, and dead straight was never comfrotable for my wrists. i say go for it
    well i have some nittos on my fixie now, but i think they are 36 cm. do you think that this would be too narrow? do you know what size your bars were?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

A lot of track bars wont accept road levers if Im not mistaken.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: wes m.A lot of track bars wont accept road levers if Im not mistaken.
    and why wouldn't you want flats and usable bends on your road bike?
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited

I ride my track bike on the road with B123s, it's just fine. Climbing is weird without brake hoods but I'm used to it, or sometimes I just climb in the drops.

The maes bend evolved from track style drops. You can put road levers on track bars and have the same 3 hand positions that you have with road bars. Track bars just have a deeper drop.

If you want curvy looking bars why not some Randonneur bars?
    • CommentAuthorG star
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009

cut and flips--- chop and flops.... and an aggressive stem.....
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009 edited

Posted By: G starcut and flips--- chop and flops.... and an aggressive stem.....
    .....on a road bike..... you're an idiot.....
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I can't stand the way chop and flops look but they are very functional. They give you a "rest" position and a climbing position.
    Standar road srops will be better. That's why track bars are shaped like track bars and road bars are shaped like road bars, they do different things.

Posted By: wes m.A lot of track bars wont accept road levers if Im not mistaken.

In my experience they can, only if you really try. Most won't unless you get fancy or just band on them with a hammer, and I think that bars like Deda Pistas won't because the have varying tube diameters, but all the steel bars I've tried accepted with coaxing.
    • CommentAuthormrymeski

yes. Its a dumbass idea. Track bars are shaped so that you don't hit your forearms while sprinting in shorter events. Thats a dumb idea
    • CommentAuthorFrey
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009

not quite your question but i ride narrow road bars on my fixed gear which i ride on the road... i prefer them to my major taylors as they have the bullhorns U that you can climb on (where the brake hoods would be), a nice flat for sore wrist when applying pressure to skid and whip, and the drops aren't as extreme (you really don't need to get that low on the street). honestly they aren't as curvy and sexy as my track drops...

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.