velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthortimmy240
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2009

So as some of you have read, I've been having some trouble getting acquainted to the SS/fixed world. The biggest hurdle has been tire surface area and how this relates to extreme differences in surface texture [POP!] I blew yet another tire after a failed attempt to get my rear tire over a metal gutter on my way to work.

Lately I've been riding my mountain bike (bone stock '09 TREK 3700) around town since I can't afford my own tire pump and therefore cannot fix my road bike without some convoluted process to get it to the bike shop. The problem (if you want to call it that) is that my utilitarianism has kicked in and I LOVE riding my mountain bike on the street! The best part is the geometry. On my road bike, I'm constantly leaned forward (stock drops) and therefore don't have the best control in regards to lifting the bike to get through/over obstacles. I used to ride BMX when I was younger and the whole joy of getting a bike off the ground never left me.
    I also love that I don't have to worry about where I ride, since I have 2" tire width.

So while this is a lot of fun, I almost feel dirty riding the mountain bike since I put so much time into the roadie; I mean, I built it from the ground up by myself, it's my baby. I've fallen in love with single speed but I don't want to tear down my MTB b/c I know I'll still want to ride it on the mountains! and need gearing. At the same time however, I'm sick of worrying about where I ride and dealing with blown tires (which will go away with experience I know).

So what should I do guys? What would be some advice for a n00b like myself in regards to finding out what I should ride?
    Have many bikes. Or actually, just set up your single speed to where it fits you the way you want, which may mean putting on wider tires, riser bars, etc.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

If you werent broke I'd tell you to get a singlespeed 29er with cross tires and a tomicog. That would be the shit, I'm looking forward to getting mine setup. Straight up assault vehicle.
    • CommentAuthortimmy240

Posted By: wes m.If you werent broke I'd tell you to get a singlespeed 29er with cross tires and a tomicog. That would be the shit, I'm looking forward to getting mine setup. Straight up assault vehicle.

that would be pretty tits
    • CommentAuthorG star
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

buy a small steel track bike-- put v's and as wide a tire as you can run..... balance and anticipation is 80% of fixed city riding..... forget the mountain geometery when you are entertaining city- speeds---
    put a front brake and clip in.... all this crap started because some messenger in ny only had a track bike to pay his rent---
    Check out my Yellowjacket bike. I'm probably going to reduce the Swiss Army Knife aspect of it for next winter, but that bike was my hero once the snow and ice started. Now check out my Iron Monkey. That's the first bike I built, and it's an MTB with road slicks. That bike's a good time. I wish I had an internally geared hub and better brakes for it. Maybe someday when I've got the cash.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009

One of the most personal things you will ever do is cycle. What feels good to you is what you are looking for. It may not be a $2000 bike, it may be an $800 bike that seems to be in synergy with you. Only you know what works for you and what doesn't. That's why fads make no sense to me especially when it comes to your bike. If you like the mtn bike better, adapt it to what you expect it to do. That won't change what you like about it, it only makes it more suitable to what you do with it. Folks have been putting slicks or street tires on mtbs for years. IF you want to get back with your FG/SS ride, then adapt it to what you want it to do. I have 700x40 cyclocross tires on my Expedition and I find that it is now adapted well to the gravel, dirt, some mountain paths and very comfortable on the road. Now you bike may not fit 40s, but that's one extreme, even if you go to a 28 or 32 and keep the pressure, you'll find that it is a very comfortable ride.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.