velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Is a law to protect cyclists rendered useless when it’s not enforced?

Read the story at this link, then voice your opinion please.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/roadrights/2009/07/02/false-protection/
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009 edited

i'm sorry, this just really makes me mad. i know my rights, i ride intelligently and follow traffic laws, i light up before it gets dark far above and beyond the necessary level, (though i admittedly need to work on wearing my helmet more regularly). i really try to hold up my end of the bargain on the road and day after day (not literally everyday) people try to fuck you over because you are inconvenient. i understand that accidents happen sometimes but there is a small number of drivers that take things too far (there are stupid bikers too), i don't want one of my friends or myself to be seriously injured or killed because a driver won't slow down and wait to pass or more over far enough.
    I'm really angry after reading this article.
    So much for serving and protecting.
    maybe there should be more bike cops, the stereotype is that they're fat and eat donuts.
    Posted By: lickedwickedmaybe there should be more bike cops, the stereotype is that they're fat and eat donuts.

What exactly does that have to do with this thread?
    More police on bikes does not equal fairness.
    Posted By: proudxvxyouth
    Posted By: lickedwickedmaybe there should be more bike cops, the stereotype is that they're fat and eat donuts.

they'll feel the danger of the cars. it'd be cool to have a cop under cover catching people harassing bikers.
    Posted By: lickedwicked

they'll feel the danger of the cars. it'd be cool to have a cop under cover catching people harassing bikers.

Fair enough. But at least around here, the police on bikes just ride like jerks on sidewalks and make people walking move, removing them from almost any threat of being hit by a car.
    If the police were to ride in the road like they are supposed to, you would have a solid point.

Oh what a wonderful world that would be.
    Laws are only as good as the people who enforce them. Lousy enforcers makes for toothless laws.

I can only hope that the families of those who died or were injured in the article can sue the police or prosecutors for failure to do their jobs. Cynic in me says there's probably no easy way to make that happen.
    Here is a link I found with a video. I have been tempted far more than once to get a set up that could do this...!!

http://www.3feetplease.com/Media.html
    • CommentAuthorTmoore
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

wow drivers in tennessee suck.

i grew up in a small town in tennessee and when i got into road biking i would actually drive an hour to the national park to ride because i had so many close call with people coming up fast behind me and not even seeing a bike there. people hardly ever see bike riders there, so they just dont look out for them. i dont think a 3 ft. law in tennessee is going to make one bit of difference.

and im pretty sure that tennessee is the most overweight state in the country
    • CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited

I have driven commercial & military trucks for over 26 years now & feel that I have a pretty good grasp on road & driving issues. I’d like to think that if I can make room & give a cyclist more than five feet of clearance in my semi, then some dip-stick can give three feet in his pickup! There isn’t a day that go’s by that some moron doesn’t do something stupid in front of my truck. The thing is that my company has digital cameras for our fleet so when it comes down to someone’s word or mine, I just tell them to view the video & the GPS data.
    On a bike or in a truck I’m not out there to get in anyone’s way. But I’m not going to kiss the ass of any motorist or cyclist either! “Share the road” & obey the rules is all I’m asking.
    Till that day comes, I’ll be the guy on the bike with his “bike flag” mounted sideways to the left into traffic instead of straight up, with a drywall screw taped to the end of it.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009

Posted By: Tmoore
    and im pretty sure that tennessee is the most overweight state in the country

Surprisingly, Miami took that honor according to men's fitness. Even more surprising is that Houston is number 6, considering how most people's idea of exercise here is climbing up into their jacked up dualie.

I gave up on expecting people to use good judgment while passing me, and I just ride to the far left of the right hand lane now (unless it's a single lane road). It's worked out well for me so far.
    • CommentAuthorSteven Bell
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009 edited

Posted By: lickedwicked

Fair enough. But at least around here, the police on bikes just ride like jerks on sidewalks and make people walking move, removing them from almost any threat of being hit by a car.
    If the police were to ride in the road like they are supposed to, you would have a solid point.

Oh what a wonderful world that would be.

Same thing in Seattle. The bike cops generally are on the side walks. It seems to me that it would take some kind of revolution where there would need to be a lot of bike cops on the roads, handing out a lot of tickets to motorists to make any sort of difference. There are enough cyclists that don't know all their rights.
    How can we expect drivers to know them?

Maybe there should be a mandatory test to renew drivers licenses with things like the 3 foot law.
    • CommentAuthorjakerock
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009 edited

I understand the comments from TN... I live in NYC now, but spend about 10 years on Louisville KY and riding a bike there is a f'ing nightmare. There is a BIG difference between people in the city, who may be annoyed but know that bikes are there and have to be dealt with... and the country / midwestern folk who arent aware of the bikes, are annoyed when they see one, and have no idea that their cars can really f'ck us up!

Its amazing to think that I really am much safer riding in NYC than in Louisville.
    • CommentAuthorpawn shop
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2011

so I hird a story of a guy in Louisville that had a cheese burger thrown at him on the side of the road while riding, I would definitely have to calm my self cause I would really like to spit in the guys face threw his window and or maybe grab the cheese burger and catch up with him and give it back the same way. I live in Portland Oregon and I'm moving to Louisville in thirty days and I'm not set at ease as a rider. Fuckin moterists. I'm moving there to raise our son and so its not like I can knock the mirror off all cars that get to close. I guess will see and I will take it in stride. I must say I cant wait to ride Louisville.
    • CommentAuthorpawn shop

police in Portland Oregon are at times on the side walk and from what I know, that is illegal and unsafe. I blow past them and they dont even blink.
    I live in tn and i have been buzzed once and traight up hit at an intersection by a guy that drove off and left me in the middle of the road bleading through my broken face. Tn drivers SUCK. but u can ride out in the country for 30 miles on back roads and only get passed twice. The back roads are great and u will always pass another rider when u go out. Pros and cons i guess.
    Posted By: jakerockI understand the comments from TN... I live in NYC now, but spend about 10 years on Louisville KY and riding a bike there is a f'ing nightmare. There is a BIG difference between people in the city, who may be annoyed but know that bikes are there and have to be dealt with... and the country / midwestern folk who arent aware of the bikes, are annoyed when they see one, and have no idea that their cars can really f'ck us up!

Its amazing to think that I really am much safer riding in NYC than in Louisville.

Same story here in London, U.K... You're in the way in London but at least drivers see and avoid you. Out of London you might aswell be invisible or an object of hate!

We have police on bikes here too, I must admit they do ride on the road and are pretty sensible, sadly they're too busy bustin kids for selling crack and weed than enforcing road safety issues.
    • CommentAuthorBrannigan

I was pretty sure that cycling in New Mexico was bad, sounds like there are more places like here. As a member of the CAG (Citizens Advisory Group) of the MPO (Master Planning Org) here in Santa Fe, I am trying to help deal with how new roads are built in regards to creating safer riding conditions for us out there. Buzzing is a big problem here, I am glad to be alive actually. There is no reason for the police to enforce this unless they ride in the streets like us, not on the sidewalks. Until they are forced to, they will not support us. I agree with the comment about making drivers license renewals test the 3-foot law (in your states), that law was not signed by the governor here. If you are going to ride your whip in Santa Fe, feel free to contact me about safe ways around town and what roads to look out for.
    • CommentAuthorcampystamp
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011

When I worked as a messenger, drivers really pissed me off when they refused to give me space. What I have been doing recently has helped me to understand that drivers are usually unaware of the effect they are having. I have been riding more at night with lights. When I sense a vehicle coming up behind me I stick my left arm straight out to let the drivers know "Hey, I need some space!" No offensive gesturing, just arm stuck straight out or waving them to pass me up. Of course I use my arms for signaling turns also. It works, drivers are usually cooperative. If you choose to be angry as I did in the past, it's a losing battle. Be Safe.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.