velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorFrey
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009

Everyone hates on them big time, did they sleep with someones girlfriend or something?

Don't get it. It's just a bike...
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

they dont take into consideration the size of the frame when they design the rear end of the bike. they use the same length tubes and it results in sometimes (usually on larger models) not being able to utilize most of the dropout. their welds are notoriously shitty, don't use great aluminum, etc. they just produce cheap bikes.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

The general consensus is that you can not produce a quality aero tubed frame for the price of a leader frame. A leader will get the job done but there is a reason they cost half the price of a used track pro frame. Quality control, poorly thought out geometry, etc.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

I will be the devils advocate here and defend leader. Most people just cant understand why a frame that is conceptually the same as an ftp, bpc is half to a third of the price. I would not say they use cheap aluminum, they simply use less of it making thinner walls on their aero tubing. They may indeed have geometry problems in taller models. However, being 5'9'' seems to get me a great fit.

Also, you need to look at the price point as well, that is the major factor in why they are able to unload 720's and 725's like candy. At near the same price point you have frames like pake,the hour, the kilo and no-name steel. Who wouldnt rather have an aero aluminum frame (unless you plan to treat your bike like a bmx). The only sales drawback is that so many people whom have never ridden a leader talk too much shit about them.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

A cheap steal bike that looks nice > A giant rolling stealth bomber that looks like a piece of shit
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009 edited

Lets not even open that can of worms.

Posted By: LyKqiD. . Who wouldnt rather have an aero aluminum frame
    • CommentAuthorchase.

awesome
    how many people who give leader shit have actually ridden one? and how many of those were the 09 versions?
    • CommentAuthordeermatt

a friend has one. That thing creaks and makes more noise out of the box than any other bike I've been around.
    I would not say they use cheap aluminum, they simply use less of it making thinner walls on their aero tubing.

That would be cheap aluminum, my friend.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: das_pyratehow many people who give leader shit have actually ridden one? and how many of those were the 09 versions?

I don't care what it rides like. I am not one to ride aluminum but there are some aluminum frames that you can tell someone actually spent years developing and testing. The Spicers, BPC, and the new Fuji Track pros. These bikes are beautifully refined from years of R&D and experience. The designers over at Leader just seem to pick and choose feature and then take a giant shit onto some blueprints. There was a BMX company that did the same thing. They were called Poverty and they made the most garbage shit ever. I am sure leader is exactly the same.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: jam guyThey were called Poverty and they made the most garbage shit ever

true that. god i cant believe you can still buy that crap.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: Aaron C
    Posted By: jam guyThey were called Poverty and they made the most garbage shit ever

true that. god i cant believe you can still buy that crap.

I love that you know all the stupid shit I remember.
    Posted By: das_pyratehow many people who give leader shit have actually ridden one? and how many of those were the 09 versions?

*raises hand*

shit bikes man. nothing anyone can do about it. cheap, shit frames.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009

Poverty is just the Danscomp house brand, and it is essentially unbranded stuff that comes on almost every bike company's cheap completes.

Anyways...

Every time I see a leader built up, it is the shittiest "tarck" build ever, with the seat angled forward and bars that won't clear the top tube, basically tarck biek fails, so I refer to them as "Followers".

I've only seen one Leader set up "right", locally this dude Kareem (he filmed "Death Pedal") has one set up for doing tricks, and he does just that with it.

I don't I've ever seen one set up for track racing.

The fact that the bike is so badly designed that you can't use all of the dropout really pisses me off. Ther's no excuse for that. If you are drawing by hand that's why you do auxilliary views, and if it was drawn in a CAD program there is just no excuse.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: SkidMarkPoverty is just the Danscomp house brand, and it is essentially unbranded stuff that comes on almost every bike company's cheap completes.

Not so much anymore. Complete bikes are actually being made really nice these days. Most small companys use the parts right off of their product line. Way better than when I first started riding.
    This is the lamest thread ever. The real followers are some of you guys. Following one idiot for another with ignorance bliss. I know who some of you SDfixed guys are. Posting your fake ass opinions. I have seen some of your bikes and they are not something I would want to ride around in. I race locally in San Diego on Tuesdays and I know for a fact there are many Leader bikes being raced on the track there. I know there is a team sponsored by Leader too. Plenty of them on the road. Heck the first Mash guys road on Leaders. Bet you guys never ridden one and just hate those other guys on Leader with nicer bikes than yours.

Who here on this thread actually rides a Leader. I think only LyKqiDhas a 737 road bike.

Hey Leader dudes rock on! I like what you do for this sport.

Your question is what I ride. Cervello and Bianchi Pista, heck maybe get a leader later on
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

So you dont ride a leader but your positive comments are more relevant than negative comments from people who also dont ride a leader... interesting
    Actually I have at the track. Some of my peeps ride em too. Have you or anyone else on this thread?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: iron jaiden

*raises hand*

shit bikes man. nothing anyone can do about it. cheap, shit frames.

Him and me too.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.