velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So I'm watching these Americans play Major League Baseball and I notice a lot of chewing. I look up on it and it turns out chewing tabacco and base ball go back a long time and now a healthier alternative is gum and sun flower seeds. In a LBS I notice they sell these gels and they're twelve bucks a pop. So I think you eat them like a go gurt but probably not as much as baseball players eat gum or sun flower seeds. Are these gels performance enhancing, not like steriods but like an energy drink? Is cycling another sport that I can add to a list of sports that athletes eat in?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009

yes

Look for Gu, they're definitely not 12 bucks a pop.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009

good lord, the honeymoon of me missing you, lickedwicked, was short indeed.
    maybe my questions or concerns seem off topic but that's just the way I approach it.
    how effective are these gels? Are they work getting? I won't be riding an actual bike, I'll just be sitting on a exercise machine since my road bike wheels aren't true.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009

Fuck gels and Power Bars. GO old school with some Fig Newtons and a banana.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009

Posted By: lickedwickedhow effective are these gels? Are they work getting? I won't be riding an actual bike, I'll just be sitting on a exercise machine since my road bike wheels aren't true.

How about you spend 25-35 bucks and have your wheels re-trued at a shop?
    It's just the whole "energy" scam thing. Something that nearly ALL people want...is more ENERGY. Everybody wishes they had more energy. If they market a product saying it will give you energy, even if it's a potato chip or a bottle of water, people will buy it. Everyone wishes they had more energy.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

My typical breakfast consists of soy milk with coffee, a banana, and a cup of oatmeal with a dash of sugar and cocaine. It does a fantastic job of getting me going in the mornings!
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009 edited

Posted By: sfbeeMy typical breakfast consists of soy milk with coffee, a banana, and a cup of oatmeal with a dash of sugar and cocaine

and i thought i was the only one.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Those gels are just sugar, caffeine, and electrolytes. There are plenty of more pleasurable ways to consume those, especially if your bicycle will not be leaving your house.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Youngs Oatmeal stout and a good beef stew.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: jam guyYoungs Oatmeal stout

good shit. youngs double chocolate stout and pulled pork is the way to go.
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009 edited

bananas FTW. circle k sells em for 20 cents each so i eat one about 30 minutes before a fast 30+ mile ride and sometimes a second in the middle of the ride. there's no bonk with bananas.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: Aaron C
    Posted By: jam guyYoungs Oatmeal stout

good shit. youngs double chocolate stout and pulled pork is the way to go.

Fucking boner jams. I am about to make a giant piece of pork stuffed with stuffing.
    Maybe the gels are meant to be eaten like a go-gurt right before a race.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

no. just go to the website for the brands and you'll get all the information you need. they are meant to be eaten during riding to replace the calories you burn while riding.
    • CommentAuthorplucks

The GU helps when you are drastically depleted of nutrients a long way down the line. As for normal lengths just drink some gatorade. They basically do the same thing. Gu is just more convenient to carry on you.
    • CommentAuthorG star
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

a flask of whiskey--- a snickers, water, full air pressure (this is important, before you eat.)

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.