velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordanbee
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009

I've just acquired a Pinarello Montello SLX in nice condition for its age. Photos are posted at . The frame looks straight and the paint and chrome are better than average. Can anyone determine the likely age? I know that SLX was first introduced in 1982 so the bike obviously is no earlier than 1982. It also carries the 1984 Olympic sticker, so presumably it's at least 1984. The bike has a number of odd components that don't look standard. I've never heard of the stem/bars maker, looks like CYCLO MAN (guess) with the word "Starting" in script on the bars. The bottom bracket SN is 1F 813. I'm puzzled that the rear derailleur is Nuovo Record, because I understand the NR was discontinued in 1983. I'd like to try to restore the bike with its original equipment as much as possible, and would appreciate any advice as to the likely year the bike was made, and the components that likely were included. Many thanks for your help!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009 edited

I would start here: Bulgier.net bike catalogs

The first Pinarello catalog in that list appears to be 1982, since it lists a lot of 1981 season race winners. It lists no Montello model, nor any frames with SLX tubing; all the frames that season are SL.

The second catalog is 1985, and the photo looks dead-on like your frame. Since there's a 1984 Olympics decal on yours, 1985 is the logical build year - at least for the frame. According to the component list it used a Super Record gruppo, with Cinelli bars and stem.

As for the components, welllllll....the reality is, the bike is almost 25 years old. Presumably, it hasn't been sitting disassembled in a cardboard box all that time; it's been around, and stuff has happened to it. As such, you can safely assume that parts have been removed and replaced as dictated by circumstances. And so it proves out; not only do you have a Nuovo Record rear derailleur, you also have a Nuovo Record crankset. The Super Record Delta brakes have been replaced by Modolos, and the C-Record aero seatpost has been replaced by a Super Record - but one pantographed for Guerciotti.

As long as you didn't buy it with the understanding that it was "all original", and pay extra for the privilege, I'd say you've done pretty well. It's a very nice-looking bike, it appears to have been the high end of Pinarello's line that year, and even the not-correct parts are still worth something, once you've replaced them with the original components. Some Guerciotti nerd will want that seatpost; although it will be hard to find a C-Record post with a Pinarello panto, they come on eBay every so often. You can replace the Nuovo Record chainrings with Super Record, if you really feel it necessary. '80s Cinelli handlebars are common as dirt (does the stem have a Pinarello panto on it?). And Modolo brakes have their fans, too.

Hell, I'll give you $20+shipping for the Nuovo Record rear derailleur right now ;-)
    • CommentAuthordanbee
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009

Many thanks for the informative reply. I'm wondering though about the head tube badge-it's a decal, not a metal stamping that I understood was used before the 1990s. I will start replacing the components slowly-a good part of the fun is bringing the bike back to a semblance of its original state.
    I had a mate with exactly the same bike. And as best as I remember the head tube also had a sticker, and not a metal badge. Beautifull bike though...
    • CommentAuthorG star
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

a bike worthy of a conversion to single speed--- obsolete for racing gears-- but that slx is just strong enough to
    put a lightweight fixie out there.... i had two and sorry that i sold em.... great geometry--- sweet mama steel.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: G stara bike worthy of a conversion to single speed--- obsolete for racing gears-- but that slx is just strong enough to
    put a lightweight fixie out there.... i had two and sorry that i sold em.... great geometry--- sweet mama steel.
    man, you just sound dumb.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited

Posted By: the rabbi
    Posted By: G stara bike worthy of a conversion to single speed--- obsolete for racing gears-- but that slx is just strong enough to
    put a lightweight dick in hand out there.... i had two and sorry that i sold em.... great geometry--- sweet mama steel.

Fixied it for you....
    • CommentAuthorG star

had bikes--- rabboni--- dont need no sweet talkin --- i built em and burned em-- i rode em and sold em---
    you dont know steel salvation saves-- re -born and dangerous-- go on back to your prayer for a downhill huffy....
    you cant ride like me, you cant write like me, you cant build like me and you cant pray like me--- go down to jammers house and compare good books.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

Sounds like someone can't appreciate something for what it is...
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: danzap209Sounds like someone can't appreciate something for what it is...
    this

and take your wack lyrics somewhere else. maye take those sweet, sweet track bikes you have over to encino and use them for what they're meant for.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: G starhad bikes--- rabboni--- dont need no sweet talkin --- i built em and burned em-- i rode em and sold em---
    you dont know steel salvation saves-- re -born and dangerous-- go on back to your prayer for a downhill huffy....
    you cant ride like me, you cant write like me, you cant build like me and you cant pray like me--- go down to jammers house and compare good books.

So basically what your saying is we cant be an egotistical douchebag who probably rides like my grandmother? Bummer....
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Also, reading is fucking awesome.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: jam guyAlso, reading is fucking awesome.
    messengers don't have to read. apparently they are enlightened individuals.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

LOL... Some people have all the answers
    • CommentAuthorG star

hell yea... enlightened with slx while you guys sit in your bean bag chairs--- douse each other
    with jammers jelly and slide your fat bellys all over the computer.... ya know-- all ya all is 2 years old and playin with crayons in yo stepmamas yard-- dreamin and creamin bout bein somebody---
    grow up. girls. obviously the mediator doesn't care if you profane yourselves--- bye. go to the playground and bully the bmx kids. bunch a non riding , lunch stealing, nerds.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited

Posted By: G starhell yea... enlightened with slx while you guys sit in your bean bag chairs--- douse each other
    with jammers jelly and slide your fat bellys all over the computer.... ya know-- all ya all is 2 years old and playin with crayons in yo stepmamas yard-- dreamin and creamin bout bein somebody---
    grow up. girls. obviously the mediator doesn't care if you profane yourselves--- bye. go to the playground and bully the bmx kids. bunch a non riding , lunch stealing, nerds.
    good one, i am a bmx kid. how did you know?!
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: the rabbi
    Posted By: G starhell yea... enlightened with slx while you guys sit in your bean bag chairs--- douse each other
    good one, i am a bmx kid. how did you know?!

Awww snap------ how did you know dog--- all I do is real and deal---and click my heels---riding wheelies with my deep veels--- I am the greatest--- steel aint real--- it's a steal, like yo mamas panties at a yard sale--- My bikes are smoother than titties---faster than lightning--- my games so tight you can never bite me--- You got your sick tarck bike and your shoes to match--- everyone knows you been riding since last night---quit your messenger job, you slow as a slob--- You jumped on the bandwagon just last year, now you know everything, even got that fly ass gear--- Your ugly son, and so are your bikes, take that dick out yo ass and call it a night-------------

hahahahahaha. I missed my calling. Instead I became a bully who beats up BMX kids for money. I fucked up.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.