velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I recently started riding again after taking a few years off... I sold my bikes a few years ago for bills( a mistake) I recently bought a fixer upper bike and was wondering if I may be too damn big to ride it without bending the wheelset thats on there. I bought it and bent an axle, although i think it was bent before,I think they are alex or araya something cheap. I'm about 6'4 and 280 lbz.... and im just tryin to get back on a bike and trim my shit up for the summer
    If theres any other big guys out there it would be good to hear back from some of you, just looking for some feedback, and im kinda bored sitting on my fatass at work so i though i would ask
    I'm 145lbs and I've bent axles before. I've seen big guys on bikes before, you just have to be gentle. Swerve the potholes and don't ride off of sidewalks.

If I don't ride my bike for a week it feels like I haven't been on one in a year, but you've gotta start somewhere.
    Yeah thats kinda what i was thinkin, ill just be gentle with it i was hopin it wasnt that i was big i used to ride at about 200-220lbz and thought i was past the point of return. thanks for the feedback
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009

Maybe put some street tires on a mountain bike, or get a 29er, instead of riding a skinny tired road bike. ANother thing to consider when you weigh more is stopping, which you might do better with some cantilevers or v-brakes.
    Go with at least 25C tires to absorb impacts.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I find it hard to believe that any cantis will stop you faster than a comparable quality caliper. If they have cantis that good now I need to buy a pair, seriously.

I'd recommend you use a good cross or 29er rims on a fixed hub with some wider tires. Maybe even a bolt on 29er rear wheel with one of those cogs that bolts on where the disk goes. I'm only 140-150lbs but I have abused my delgado/xt wheelset so bad that I couldnt imagine a 280lb guy messing them up on the street.
    Yeah i was thinking about some 29ers i dont have a hard time stoppin unless im bombin ass down some hills, i think im good for brakes i might look into gettin a diff tire on the back tho thanks again all
    and prob a diff tire on the front too
    another quick question what wheelset do you guys recommend? i have some panaracer tires that have hardly been ridden on they seem decent... i like the look of the h plus sons/deep v/or the dp 18s. i plan on slimmin down over the summer and get into riding again and would like a decent looking set thats worth the money(and i know that everyone and their dog has some sort of deep v)
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

wait till you trim down. there's no use buying wheels that you'll thrash.
    i'd just go with some 29's right now.
    yeah thats kind of what i figured im just thinkin in the future... after the summer helps me sweat off this extra weight
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

I hope you mean youre trimming down for next summer. unless you stuff yourself with meth, i dont think you can "trim down" for summer 09
    Just crack and this thing i learned about called bulimia? no i mean like 4-5 months away hopin to trim about 10lbs a month im starting to ride about 6 miles a day to work and eatin better ya know the whole deal
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

10/month is still pushing it.
    Alright so im gonna be fat for a while... most of me is just shitty eating and my job im tied to a desk all day so im hopin to lose some weight ive lost 5lbs this week so far so this week but i know how that water weight goes first... anyway just tryin to be active
    I know where you're coming from- I got a desk job about 6 months ago. It BLOWS. I leave my place at 6am and get back at 9:30pm. I eat dinner, make lunch for the next day, and go to bed. I've been trying to ride at night but it just doesn't feel the same. I can't get as into it cause I know I'll be tired the next day. I've been gaining weight slowly but surely. When I get out on the weekends, I just cant keep the speeds I used to. Its depressing. Its crazy how fast you lose it.
    Yeah i got a 10 month old at home so its like up at 5:30 and by the time i get home its daddy time(i am gettin a bike trailer however so me and the little man can roll) and then its dinner, lil tv and lights out. I used to have a job where i was on my feet moving around all day but now i am imprisoned in a cube. I am hoping that riding to work and skipping out on the fast food and tryin to eat healthy.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I'm in the same boat. I've got a desk job doing IT stuff, and the company I work for caters lunch every day and has tons of junk food at our disposal. I moved pretty far out so I would have a lengthy commute, but even with that I'm still plateaued around 225-230. I don't mind too much though, since I can still hustle on my bike, and I don't really have any issues with my wheels.

I do feel that if I go a week without riding, that I've lost a bit of my momentum. It never takes too long to get back into the groove though.
    Yeah and its been months since ive been on a bike the winter's here are pretty vicious and i started a new job recently thats not too far from my house so i just recently started riding after pickin up an older panasonic for cheap off of craigs
    You know 10lbs a month really isn't that unrealistic. I mean I've never tried to lose weight (6'4", 185lbs) but I've known a couple of dudes in the 250-265 range that lost a ton by simply riding their bike every day and gettin rid of soda pop and junk food.
    It works. You'd be surprised how much those gnarly old sugars add to your waistline.
    Also for bringin the kid places you should try out one of those kid seats that basically sits in front of you on the top tube. Way more fun than a trailer as you can actually zip around a bit and it just feels more secure for the kid. Only works up to a certain age though and I super don't recommend being the asshole who thinks putting a kid on a track bike is a good idea, but if you got a 2 year old and wanna take em with you on the bike those things work really well.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.