velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorold_soul
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009

i have a vintage Cannondale road frame that i want to convert to
    a fixed gear. I was talking to a older guy that rides road frames
    and he told me that it isn't suggested that i convert it due to the
    frame ends pointing downward. I've noticed on all the fixed gear
    photos i've saved for building reference that they aren't facing down
    but horizontal (if thats a proper way to describe it) Is this a problem
    and how can i remedy the situation?

Do i have a different end welded? and will it be strong?

Thanks.
    There's a LOT of those old cannondale frames on here that people are using as fixed gears. I doubt they have perfect chain tension, but they've atleast made it work. You just have to play the the gear ratios to find one that keeps the chain reasonably tight. You could also file the axle slot slightly on either side just give you a mm or 2 of adjustment if you're already close.

I have seen people weld them, but those tubes are already thin, so I wouldn't try it yourself unless you know what you're doing.

If you were going to pay to get it welded, you could also just pay for an ENO hub. I would just play with the gear ratios. There's a calculator online somewhere, you type in the length from your bottom bracket to the dropouts, and it tells you what gear ratios come close. I did it on an old mountain bike once.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009 edited

Seems like going with an Eno hub is a much easier and safer plan than welding. And more flexible than getting the one ratio that happens to work, as you could get the ratio you want.
    • CommentAuthorold_soul
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009

The eno sounds like the obvious choice.
    Thanks for your opinions, it is always
    appreciated.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009

How about an eccentric bottom bracket? One of the builders I know uses this exclusively to enable the gear changing while still keeping the inherent strengths of a vertical drop out.
    • CommentAuthorG star
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

cannondales are not my frame choice for conversions, but......
    if money is not an issue-- the eno hub---
    if you want to do this right-- get a track bike.....
    you could find a "singulator" thingy
    get a capo.....
    My mind just doesnt want to deal with this "turn it into a track bike" thing anymore ( I have built dozens)
    there is an art to building a track bike-- the geo, the material, the bikema of something originally built for a velodrome..... thats cool.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009

Posted By: G starcannondales are not my frame choice for conversions, but......
    if money is not an issue-- the eno hub---
    if you want to do this right-- get a track bike.....
    you could find a "singulator" thingy
    get a capo.....
    My mind just doesnt want to deal with this "turn it into a track bike" thing anymore ( I have built dozens)
    there is an art to building a track bike-- the geo, the material, the bikema of something originally built for a velodrome..... thats cool.

Not everyone wants a fucking track bike man. Some people want to have brakes and a more relaxed geometry. There is not art to building a track bike. You have taken what everyone has done before you and bastardized it to the point that is a fashion statement, whether you are a messenger or not. He was asking about vertical track ends, not your stupid opinion on track bikes and the zen art of "track bike" building. Some people want a fixed gear, there is a huge difference.

As far as building with vertical ends I have had a lot of luck with half links and half link chains. It is a really cheap alternative to the more expensive options. Even though I would love to have been able to afford an Eno hub. I have heard nothing but great things.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.