velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorfixedpuch
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited

I love cycling caps so much, thats all there is too it. I have Vintage Italian caps, current team caps, store caps, etc. Its hard to find a cap that fits me because I have a big dome, plus a large amount of hair. So pace caps are hard to wear cause they are small. But I just ordered a Walz cap and I just want to say, its AMAZING. They have two sizes, s/m and l/lx. The l/xl is almost too big even, its great. Plus Walz has cotton, fleece, wool, hemp caps in a bunch of different colors and the prices are awesome. Anyone else have a cap company they dig a lot?

My favorite cap is my Masi cap from the 70's its fugly orange and the bill is all jacked up and sewn crooked, its baller.
    Walz is actually a great company. They're family owned and all of their hats are handmade. Quality is top notch.
    I don't remember who made the Surly cap that was out a while ago but that thing was all nice.
    Pace is fine but kinda uncomfortable for me.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009

I'll tell you guys my story about Pace caps and velospace some day
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009 edited

Posted By: gregI'll tell you guys my story about Pace caps and velospace some day

tell me papa greg, tell me!

i love

GroveCraft

nice quality hats, made by hand and you never find the same hat twice. and you can get cool screenprints on them like bugs, fleur-di-lis (sp?), bike stuff whatever. i own three of them, one has earflaps for cold days. its great.

if you're ever in mpls, find a shop that carries them and buy one, they are nice.
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

greg? story time?
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I am looking for a Faema cap.
    • CommentAuthorM1K3
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009

What's the story with cycling caps anyway? Is there a function/point to them?
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009

my most popular of the last few months is a black hat with the 'days of thunder' movie title in hot pink across the front, cut and modified into a cycling cap. flips just the same and gets compliments all time. 50 cent thrift find and 15 minutes..
    Posted By: M1K3What's the story with cycling caps anyway? Is there a function/point to them?

Nope. Come to think of it pants don't serve much of a purpose either. Undies only from now on!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009

Posted By: iron jaidenNope. Come to think of it pants don't serve much of a purpose either. Undies only from now on!

Or there's the nudist contingent that's trying to carve out some turf for themselves in San Francisco's Critical Mass..
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: M1K3What's the story with cycling caps anyway? Is there a function/point to them?

• They keep the sun out of your eyes.

• Partial bug barrier.

• They cut down on sweat in the eyes.

• They keep your hair strapped down.

• They keep your bald spot from getting all blistery.

• When in civilian dress, they serve the same ID function for cyclists that blue/red bandanas serve for the Crips and the Bloods.

• Prior to UCI's requirement that all racers wear helmets (late '80s?), it was the only protection most cyclists had, besides chamois in their shorts.

• Until Thursday, when I blew my stack and had the Vietnamese lady at the neighborhood barber shop buzz off my shoulder-length hair, I had been using a cycling cap to keep hair out of my face during all waking hours for over six months.

(No photos; I don't want to encourage mastronaut's wrath)
    • CommentAuthorM1K3
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009 edited

Fair enough! Good points well made. I particularly like the functionality of the cap protecting your bald spot whilst simultaneously keeping your flowing locks out of your eyes. Good for gentlemen like this: http://www.gaylonghair.com/longhairs/?brucew.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

They make great helmet liners too
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

short bill keeps 'em from blowing off your head.
    • CommentAuthorurchin0903
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010

i kinda wanna hear the story
    • CommentAuthorgreg

All in good time
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: urchin0903i kinda wanna hear the story

Posted By: gregAll in good time

But I wanna hear it NOW
    I rock a Brooklyn cycling cap cuz I gotta rep my borough
    I have a few caps the Brooklyn cap is my favorite because it uses the elastic and stretches more in the rear so it stays on my head better, I have a Columbus cap and and a Cinelli made by Pace with the full elastic around it doesnt stay on my head well because of my long hair it only stays on when my hair is all oily and musty
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010

I have a campy cap and a movember cap that I wear exclusively under my helmet on colder days. the movember one is sweet because when you flip the brim up, there's a mustache there to match the one on my face.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.