velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormymbta
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

Any suggestions for my first wheel build (more specifically, truing it)?
    I dont want to buy a truing stand because I can't afford it, so ill be using my frame.

Thanks
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

first time building a wheel?
    bring it to a shop/co-op and use their truing stand.
    a frame really won't cut it.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

for a wheel build, from scratch, you'd be nearly out of your mind to true it that way. ESPECIALLY for the initial truing from your FIRST wheel build, you have to get the dish to 0, true it laterally, and true it radially. build up the wheel, snug the spokes, than take it to a shop to get it perfected. trust me, you'll never get it right in your frame. this is your first wheel build, don't get overly ambitious. i'm not trying to knock you or your skills
    • CommentAuthormymbta

Posted By: Otto Raxfor a wheel build, from scratch, you'd be nearly out of your mind to true it that way. ESPECIALLY for the initial truing from your FIRST wheel build, you have to get the dish to 0, true it laterally, and true it radially. build up the wheel, snug the spokes, than take it to a shop to get it perfected. trust me, you'll never get it right in your frame. this is your first wheel build, don't get overly ambitious. i'm not trying to knock you or your skills

nah its cool. I had a hunch it was gunna be too ridiculous to do myself. I just always try my hardest to do my own building. It's cheaper to have someone do it then buy a stand I guess anyway..
    ah well
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

if you know a cool shop, they'll respect you for [attempting] building your own wheelset. ask them to show you how to true it, and if they are a decent shop, they'll have no problem letting you watch and talking about it, or guiding you while and letting you do it. it's very satisying, and i appauld you for taking the initiative to get to know your parts and have pride in doing it yourself
    Wait, you're buying a rim, and spokes (and maybe a hub), but a $60 truing stand is too much? Dude, the spokes alone are going to be some $30. A decent rim doesn't cost less than $50. Don't risk that investment without a truing stand. Particularly if you plan on doing another one.

THAT SAID...

In a pinch, I once used a fork and put zip ties on it that rested on the rim to true a wheel. It worked OK, but was for a repair, not a build.

This is the kind of thing (that being a "bike" thing) that you want the right tools for. Without, you'll just ruin expensive parts, bust your knuckles, and waste time that you could be spending learning how to do it well.

Wheel building is fun. I'm about to build a 650c set for my Mantis, and I've built a half dozen or so other wheels. It takes patience, particularly when you discover that you made a mistake an hour ago that will take you a half hour to undo, just so you're back where you were an hour ago. But those become rarer.

To really understand it, I recommend The Bicycle Wheel by Jobst Brandt. It's probably more information than you need, but it really helps you understand what you're doing.

Also, I don't have one, but a tensionometer is clearly a good tool.
    Yeah you absolutely don't wanna build a wheel from scratch without a truing stand but I would highly recommend one just to have if you're interested in building wheels. All kindsa fun and will save you money down the road for sure.
    The Park TS-8 shouldn't run you more than 80 bones (50 used if you got a good craigslist in your town)

Also be sure to let uncle sheldon show you the right way to do it :)
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009

My next major tool purchase is going to be a truing stand. I really want to start building my own wheels for the sake of being able to properly repair them when needed. I'm a bit worried though, since I'm a bit of a clydesdale, and will probably destroy the first couple of wheels I build until I get the fat-formula down.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009

I'm lucky that my parents used to own a bike shop. I have a truing stand that I can use, once my dad shows me how to use it.
    I have a Spin Doctor Truing Stand that was $50 when I got it. The other day, I saw it for $60. If you can, wait until it goes back down.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.