velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

Is it possible to change a cassette wheel to a fixed wheel?
    Is it a simple task?
    • CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

I think it's called a suicide hub (although they're actually supposed to be perfectly safe).

Sheldon?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_st-z.html
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited

A "suicide" hub is a threaded hub with a cog screwed on and no lockring.

The only way to make a cassette freehub fixed is with a Surly Fixxer, which replaces the freehub mechanism with a machined aluminum part that is threaded for a cog and lockring.

Of course with dipshits refering to any multispeed wheel as having a cassette, it's hard to say whether it's a threaded hub that take a freewheel cluster (or a singlespeed freewheel, or a track cog ala "suicide") or a freehub that takes a cassette.
    i know you're not asking for this but an interesting bit out there is velosolo's disc cog for those with a disc hub.

haven't used one myself but the idea is pretty sound
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009

Posted By: SkidMarkA "suicide" hub is a threaded hub with a cog screwed on and no lockring.

The only way to make a cassette freehub fixed is with a Surly Fixxer, which replaces the freehub mechanism with a machined aluminum part that is threaded for a cog and lockring.

Of course with dipshits refering to any multispeed wheel as having a cassette, it's hard to say whether it's a threaded hub that take a freewheel cluster (or a singlespeed freewheel, or a track cog ala "suicide") or a freehub that takes a cassette.

The only problem being that a surly fixxer costs more then most fully built wheels. (cheap ones)
    • CommentAuthorkidnice87
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

Find a formula back rim, will cost a lot less then replacing your front teeth when your suicide hub snaps. Imo
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

Posted By: kidnice87Find a formula back rim, will cost a lot less then replacing your front teeth when your suicide hub snaps. Imo

+1, fixxers are nice, but not worth the money unless you are converting a very nice wheel for training, and not permanent use. the problem elso is that when you take it off, you WILL marr the christmas out of it, and it's a PITA.
    • CommentAuthorficti0n

I tried taking the cassette apart and locking it with a generous helping of JBweld and that only lasted about a week at a time. It turns to sand then gives away and it wont even pedal the rear wheel. Eventually I got tired of constantly taking the rear wheel apart and fixing it if you have a shimano hub then the surly fixxer is the way to go. it's only 60 bucks, you'll save your self a lot of time and energy and frustration if you get a fixxer.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

Surly Fixxer costs about the same as a Surly hub, not sure who is trying to rip you off. Maybe the just want you to buy one of those cheapo wheels they are selling, which must suck if they cost the same as a decent hub costs.

I don't think a threaded hub is going to "snap" but the cog may unscrew.
    • CommentAuthorjaykob

if the wheel is nice, has a shimano cassette and you must use it as fixed just get the surly fixer. its not hard as long as you have the right tools to take the cassette off. the only real reason to do this is if its a disc wheel or something.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

I'm asking because I thought about buying a campy road wheel and converting it... what are the steps for the front? Is it just replacing the axle? Sorry I'm new to all this and I want a quality product

Dan
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

i don't think there is a conversion for campy.
    you really don't need to replace the front axle. just keep the quick release or get a set of allen hed skewers.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

Thanks for the info :)
    I'll have to bite the bullet and spend the cash
    • CommentAuthorkidnice87

You can get a vuelta back rim for like 60 bux used. Shitty hubs but red loctite+cog & lockring is a lot better then a suicide hub or fixxer.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: kidnice87Shitty hubs but red loctite+cog & lockring is a lot better then a suicide hub or fixxer.

why the fuck would you put red loctite on ANYthing that goes on a bike, if you have to use red loctite or jb weld you should just cut a few steps out and dive head first onto the asphalt.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

LOL.... That made me laugh out loud !!!
    • CommentAuthorkidnice87
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009

Hmmm your ignorance amuses me.

Red loctite will lock your cog onto your hub, the lockring will add even more support, so when you hit the brakes, the chance of your cog coming lose, stripping your hub and planting on the concrete are very minimal, if you then want to switch the cog out, you put on some liquid wrench to disolve the solution and vuala its off, it is an old school concoction to make low end hubs more durable,

Now go back to your ghetto conversion and think you know what you're talking about, son.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009

That sure is big talk from a guy who rides a ghetto conversion with platforms and no brakes, son.
    "it is an old school concoction"
    There is a reason its old school and now we have the technology of the surly fixxxer. My opinion, for what its worth, is to buy a cheap rear wheel with a already fixed track hub. It will be cheaper and more durable. If youre worried about hub spacing, surly makes hubs in all spacings for conventional frames like road (130), mountian (135), and track (120).
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2009

Posted By: kidnice87Hmmm your ignorance amuses me.

Red loctite will lock your cog onto your hub, the lockring will add even more support, so when you hit the brakes, the chance of your cog coming lose, stripping your hub and planting on the concrete are very minimal, if you then want to switch the cog out, you put on some liquid wrench to disolve the solution and vuala its off, it is an old school concoction to make low end hubs more durable,

Now go back to your ghetto conversion and think you know what you're talking about, son.

i am familiar with the principle of fixing a freewheel hub with a bb lockring, thanks for the refresher. and i am not really sure what ghetto conversion you are talking about.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.