velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorBaberham
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009 edited

okay so I was at a left turn signal waiting for traffic to impede; as soon as I started to pedal hard and fast from the turn my crank skips and then locks making me do a front flip over my bike and slamming. Now this has happen to me before but not in this manner so I didn't think it was much of a problem. When I skid from time to time my crank/bottom bracket skips, does any one know of any resolution or advise to my problem? Would be nice. I dislike getting hurt :-(
    • CommentAuthorgiosSR215
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

maybe its not tightened enough? or maybe you just don't know how to ride fixed? not trying to make fun but those are the other two things i could see happening unless you got something in your BB cones for your BB and then something might be locking up the sprocket inside.
    • CommentAuthorBaberham
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009

It's pretty self manageable to ride a fixed gear, it's not rocket science but I think it might be that it's not tighten enough. I took out the BB to paint my bike and don't have to proper tooling to put it back together but thought it wouldn't matter much. Guess I thought wrong. A skid is a skid, the only possible way you could do it wrong is if you're not skidding; with that said it's not that I'm riding wrong it's just that I may have put it back together wrong like a bing bong. But thanks for the help gios
    What kinda bottom bracket are you using? Is it a sealed cartridge shimano kinda thing or a loose bearing sugino 75 or something?
    First thing you need to understand is that you ALWAYS need to have the proper tools and knowledge of bicycle mechanics to take apart and re-assemble things on your bike. Doing it any other way can be extremely dangerous and quite honestly stupid. The last thing you want to do is have something fail in the middle of traffic and you end up in the hospital because you were trying to install your bottom bracket with a fuckin serving spoon.
    If your BB is a sealed cartridge then the installation usually only requires one tool and is very simple. If the spindle moves freely and doesn't lock up when you turn it then the bottom bracket is fine. If it doesn't move freely then you're in need of a new bottom bracket as sealed cartridge units aren't serviceable. The good news there is they don't tend to cost more than $20.
    If you've got a loose bearing BB then you'll want to again make sure it's installed properly (more tools and manual adjustment) and make sure the spindle spins freely.
    This really is something you wanna bring into your local bike shop though and have them look at. And before you decide to take anything off your bike again without knowing how to put it back on please please please at least read a decent bike mechanic's guide like "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance" so you don't kill yourself out there.
    • CommentAuthorBaberham
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009

hey thanks for the advice Iron Jaiden,
    that makes allot of sense and I'm going to take up your advise on that. What I've also been thinking that might be a factor to that problem is my rear hub. Why would my crank and entire chain move??? Because I put my front wheel against a wall (as if I was riding into it) and stood on my pedal as if I was trying to ride into the wall with one foot and it slipped but I noticed that the rear wheel didn't move..? It might be that it's cheap, it's a flip flop hub

Well as for my bottom bracket I'm not too sure which one it might be since I'm a noob to riding but am learning quickly. But it looks like a solid part that has a set of bearing on each side of it with a plastic little tube to cover the bottom bracket. um I'm not sure which kind of bottom bracket it might be but I could find out and post, maybe even pictures
    • CommentAuthorscruggle

Posted By: Baberhamokay so I was at a left turn signal waiting for traffic to impede

Ok, totally unrelated, but I'm too curious - what do you mean by waiting for traffic to 'impede'?
    • CommentAuthorjakerock

jesus, fix that! You are really asking for it!
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009

Bear with me as I go out on a limb here... Your BB wouldn't be slipping, it can't. Based upon you last post if you put the bike against something and you saw your chain move with your crank, your problem is with your rear sprocket slipping and possibly locking up at times if you are using the freewheel side (I've seen this happen with BMX single freewheels).. You really need to take a close look at the rear wheel.
    The only way for the BB to "slip" would be if your chainrings were so worn that the crankset would slip within the chain and even then the chain wouldn't move.
    • CommentAuthorBaberham
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009

Yeah I'm for sure that it's my sprocket/hub. It's a cheap flip flop (arrow) it just sucks that I don't money to buy a better one right now :-( thanks to bush.
    • CommentAuthorBaberham
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited

Posted By: scruggle
    Posted By: Baberhamokay so I was at a left turn signal waiting for traffic to impede

Ok, totally unrelated, but I'm too curious - what do you mean by waiting for traffic to 'impede'?

im⋅pede   [im-peed]
    –verb (used with object), -ped⋅ed, -ped⋅ing.
    to retard in movement or progress by means of obstacles or hindrances; obstruct; hinder.

For example "I was waiting for the traffic lights to impede traffic" sorry I didn't make myself more clear or am I using it wrong?
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009

...waiting for traffic to be impeded... Thats my best guess at the proper usage.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009

Posted By: BaberhamFor example "I was waiting for the traffic lights to impede traffic" sorry I didn't make myself more clear or am I using it wrong?

i think you can probably get away with that usage. but i think that the word pertains more to the placement of a physical obstruction. like a car pulling out infront of traffic. if you look at the latin root in+pedes,
    in- which means basically what it does in english but can also mean, into, against, toward and alot of other things in different contexts; and pedes- or walking or infantry (because they walk).
    Your question makes no since. A BB can't slip! They are meant to spin freely. If something is slipping, its more than likly your cog/lockring on the rear wheel... Very common occurance caused by inproper torque when installing... No matter what brand or how cheap it is, they all work as intended if installed properly. Also, if it has even slipped once- its more than likely trashed and all the cog threads will fall out whem you attempt to remove the cog.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.