velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009 edited

Lets have a bike related discussion. Whats the best bike related purchase you have ever made? I'll start. I just got a "full cast lugged and silver brazed" track frame and fork made out of a mix of true temper ox and columbus tubing for $310. Its brand new. The frame builder had it hanging from the rafters in his shop and wanted more space so he threw it on craigslist. I was at his shop about an hour later. Its got a few scratches from being in the shop for so long but nothing major.

What about you guys?
    I'm workin on that right now actually. Should have an almost unridden Alien frame here on Tuesday I snagged with fork and headset for $350 shipped. Fork is drilled for a break so to remedy that Joseph from Alien shipped me an unpainted, undrilled fork for $60 (where you gonna find a nice steel track fork with no holes in it for that price?). The wheelset (Miche Primato laced to FIR rims) I got for under $150 basically new. Found the concor saddle on a goodwill bike. Seatpost free. Got the Sugino RD crankset for free. About to get the matching bottom bracket off eBay new for $15. Nitto B123s and Technomic stem for free. Pedals purchased by a friend for helping him out with his bike.

So at the end of the day it looks like I'm gonna end up with a very nice complete track bike for about $575 and that's leaving an extra fork I'll sell on here or eBay.

Usually doesn't work out that way for me. I always miss the good deals end just kinda end up paying exactly what something's worth. Feels nice to come out ahead :)
    • CommentAuthorgiosSR215
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009

I'm building up my Gios Torino Super Record with mostly spec parts for under 500. Retails for 2k+ on ebay and other places :)
    I agree with Iron Jaiden, I never really get the nice deals. Although I'm pretty happy with my front Campag Vento with Vintage Campag hub for €50. I also have an Atlanta 1996 with brand new DA 7710 rear on the way for about €115 which I'm also happy about.
    • CommentAuthorstinky pete
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited

https://velospace.org/node/19627

I figure I saved 1500 easy... I've got about 250 miles on it so far and I love it!
    damn i seriously considering coppin' that sanner!
    I snagged a steel 58cm Giant Allegre with 8spd Campy Veloce Ergopower some years back (I think 2002, it was likely a 2001 model). It was in mint condition, maybe 400 miles on it. A guy was selling it at a garage sale for $400. He said he'd gotten it for triathlons, and then someone told him it was a touring bike (umm, no, it's a nice club-racer). I thought for awhile, and came back an hour later. He was away, but I offered his wife $350 cash on the barrel for it, and she took it.

It was too small for me, but I had a friend in mind --gave it as a gift.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009

Posted By: patrickviolencedamn i seriously considering coppin' that sanner!

You should have if I do say so myself. haha. Have you ever dealt with tim sanner before? Yesterday was the first time I met him but I've been lurking on his website for a while now. Dude builds those frames out of a shop that is literally half of his garage. Its a trip. He's a super nice guy. Pleasure to deal with. He had a classy looking touring frame in there he is trying to unload for cheap too. If I had the cash I would have bought that too.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited

I'll be curious to see how that Sanner builds up, and what you think once it's rolling. Sanner's been advertising on SF Craigslist for about six months; more aggressively now that the local economy's gotten worse. Before that, the only time I'd ever seen his name was last fall. Another Craigslister in San Francisco was listing a Sanner straight-tube road frame that he'd stripped half the paint off of, and kept dropping the price from the $150 he started out asking. I was about to pick up the phone when it got down to $20, but somebody else got to it first.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

I just picked up this ciocc from a guy who was giving it away on craigslist this morning:

https://velospace.org/node/20829

Free seemed like a fairly reasonable price and deal to me :)
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: sfbeeI just picked up this ciocc from a guy who was giving it away on craigslist this morning:

https://velospace.org/node/20829

Free seemed like a fairly reasonable price and deal to me :)

What the fuck........ nothing good ever happens to me.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: jam guy
    What the fuck........ nothing good ever happens to me.

I said the exact same thing to myself when I first read this thread. Nothing good ever comes up on craigslist in Houston, then this gem popped up. I seriously can't wait to get home tonight and clean it up
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009

Posted By: sfbeeFree seemed like a fairly reasonable price and deal to me :)

I saw your handle and immediately dissolved into fury: How had a free Ciöcc come up on Craigslist without me noticing it? But I see that you are "sf" in name only, and you're not in the Bay Area, so you're not on my Craigslist. It is okay for people to score freebies that I don't score...just not if the freebie is within driving distance of me. And I've gotten my fair share, sorta.

I have a playing card fetish of sorts. I am not a fixed-speed conversion type of guy; but one build that strikes me as appealing is a Ciöcc frame with a Paul Royal Flush crankset and a set of wheels built on Velocity rims in the suits colorway.
    • CommentAuthorMAVERICK

CYPRESS aluminum frame with steel fork
    BBB headset
    sugino BB
    165mm Dura-Ace NJS cranks
    50t sugino mighty comp chainring
    51t Sugino 75 NJS chainring
    Ritchey Aero rims on cartridge bearing hubs
    15/16t cogs
    Clement Monza tires
    Kalloy seatpost
    40cm Kalloy Uno Seraph handlebar
    110mm 3T stem
    Selle Italia Flite Titanium railed saddle

had only seen the track and there wasnt a mark on it
    the guy flew it to ottawa from vancouver
    for $475canadian
    • CommentAuthorMAVERICK

also got a sugino rear disc and a ZIPP rear disc for $50 each off craigslist
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

I can't match you all, but I did pick up a very nice Peugeot in Monte Carlo from a bike shop there, turned around and sold it two weeks later to a guy that couldn't live without it for a $75 profit.. I kinda wish I still had that one, never have seen one since like it. Bright met. blue with the red/orange/yellow graphics and all white components and saddle.
    • CommentAuthorMattIshler

Last year:
    NOS 1989 Atala mix of campy and suntour $75
    1973 Atala Track Frame/Fork un-drilled $100
    De Rosa Limited edition full panto Super record $500, The guy i got it from picket it up from good will for $40 Crazy.
    Burce Gordon Complete Nuovo Record For $220 on Craigslist

Recently
    Colnago C40 full record 10 speed for $1500
    Colnago master full nuovo record for $400
    Waterford Frame set near Mint For $360
    Cinelli Super Corsa Full Dura Ace for $400

I Love Craigslist
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: sfbeeFree seemed like a fairly reasonable price and deal to me :)

I saw your handle and immediately dissolved into fury: How had a free Ciöcc come up on Craigslist without me noticing it? But I see that you are "sf" in name only, and you're not in the Bay Area, so you're not on my Craigslist. It is okay for people to score freebies that I don't score...just not if the freebie is within driving distance of me. And I've gotten my fair share, sorta.

Actually ... I use a script to search craigslist nationally through google for a pre-defined list of search criteria. I receive alerts on my blackberry when stuff I want pops up :P

Good stuff rarely surfaces on Houston's craigslist, since Houston isn't as heavily biked as other areas. It's pretty damn difficult to persuade people on craigslist to ship though, since they would have just gone through ebay if they wanted that hassle. I suppose I should just move there, and start scooping up your deals :)
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: sfbeeI suppose I should just move there, and start scooping up your deals :)

No! Nooooooo!

I'm actually doing pretty well this week, Craigslistwise. I picked up a set of Mafac Racers (levers included) last night, from a guy I knew visually as a seller at a bunch of local swaps, but had never spoken to. He got a chance to ooh and aah over my Bianchi, and gave me the email address of a guy who'll buy the levers for half what I paid for the full set, assuming I decide to bail on the Mafac levers and use Campy levers with Carlton hoods for a Raleigh International build I'm scheming. Total cost for brakes alone: $15.

Next week, I have to pick up a mid-'90s Record straight seatpost for said Bianchi. Total cost (if picked up): $18.

Actually, my Very Best Deal was also a Craigslist thing. I answered an ad for an FSA SL-K compact carbon crankset for $50, and went over to the seller's apartment in San Francisco to make the buy. I asked the guy why he was selling a $250 crankset for 80% off; he said he'd just built up a Gunnar that he loved, and he was moving across to the East Bay, and was dumping everything that didn't work with the Gunnar. Getting Buddhist or something; stripping himself of all unnecessary possessions...

Once I'd paid for the crankset, he gave me:

• 10-speed Ultegra cassette

• Shimano downtube stops

• Cane Creek headset

Then he asks me: "Do you have a use for an aluminum road frame?", goes into another room, comes out with a 2006 Fuji Roubaix SL (double-butted superlight aluminum, carbon fork), and says:

"Take it. I tried to sell it on Craigslist, nobody bit, I'm moving, I want it gone. Take it away."

So, 60% of a trick new build (frameset + crankset) for fifty bucks. Once I got $35 for the cassette (Ich bin ein Campy guy), $15 out of pocket.

Although, 18 months later, the frameset is still giving me accusing looks from the rack for not finishing up the build :-( I'm still working out the Nokon cabling.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Posted By: eaglerockI'll be curious to see how that Sanner builds up, and what you think once it's rolling. Sanner's been advertising on SF Craigslist for about six months; more aggressively now that the local economy's gotten worse. Before that, the only time I'd ever seen his name was last fall. Another Craigslister in San Francisco was listing a Sanner straight-tube road frame that he'd stripped half the paint off of, and kept dropping the price from the $150 he started out asking. I was about to pick up the phone when it got down to $20, but somebody else got to it first.

I got it built up today and took a short ride around town. I only have good stuff to say so far. Light, stiff, tight, everything a track bike should be. I'm going to need to get in at least 100 miles and some track time before I go shouting from the rooftops though.

I know there is some concern because he uses jigless construction methods. This frame is straight as an arrow so I guess he knows what hes doing.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.