velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorj-dogg
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009 edited

FINALLY got pics working (thanks Greg)

This was a restoration project I got a little over a year ago from a good friend who not only saved it from the trashman, but saved it from a Sawzall.

84' Ciocc Designer, hand-made in Italy, NOT China.

Drivetrain was trashed, had to break the chain with a bolt cutter. Rear rim was trashed too. Rust EVERYWHERE.

First day actually somewhat rideable

7 speed conversion

then came FSA RD-220 700c alu-clinchers

9-speed Dura-Ace downtube shifters, 9-speed Ultegra rear cassette

Old Shimano 600 shifters

New sex

time for a trip to the powdercoat shop

on the operating table

• CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009

• CommentAuthorj-dogg

120 dollars and a six-pack later

original chrome intact

overnight parts from Australia.

I handpainted the "Ciocc" on the tops of the rear stays, just like they were in the factory 24 years ago. It's engraved into the frame but the powdercoating covers most of it

michelin pro race 2 tires, selle italia seat

shimano ultegra 9-speed STI shifters

• CommentAuthorj-dogg
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2009 edited

dura-ace 9/10-speed chain

el cheapo grande Shimano Sora crank, works for now

upgraded to an Ultegra SL crank with sealed outboard bearings (way better than cartridge setup)

also finally installed Ultegra 6600 front derailleur

upgraded to 42cm Modolo Flash handlebars (freebie!!)

dura-ace SLR brake cables

ultegra SL SPD's, Gaerne time trial carbon cleats

finished

well almost, I need to strip it back down, touch up the frame and re-do decals and clearcoat. clearcoat your restorations people!!!! over the decals!!! i'm learning the hard way, but it all works out because now I get the opportunity to film myself assembling it.
    • CommentAuthorHyde

I'm glad you saved it! Those are sweet frames. Ride the hell out of it. They don't make them like that anymore....Unless you buy from a custom builder, of course.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

wow, awesome build. Totally clean and classy and a BEAUTIFUL Italian bike.
    That bike is crying tears of joy at being rescued by you. I'm sure she'll give you all she's got on rides.

My hat's off to you for having a good eye, respect for a classic, taking the time --and for taking the time to do it right.
    Beautiful restoration man. Big thumbs up for sure.
    • CommentAuthorj-dogg
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009 edited

thanks all =)

she does have a name, Stella.

it turns heads at all the group rides, everyone rides Trek-this and Specialized-that and the only Italians are myself on the Ciocc and a Colnago from about the same time period, which may be my next project if I can find one. I'm always catching people checking out our bikes. I need to get them parked next to one another and snatch a photo.

Right now I have a 76' Schwinn Superior that I've been working on forever and I've thought about going balls-to-the-wall on a similar restoration project with it. It has a full Suntour drivetrain NOS but it's pretty difficult to locate decals for these since so few were made.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009

yay!
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009

That bike looks amazing. I'm jealous!
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

Ironically enough, I came across a guy giving away a near complete ciocc bike on craigslist today.

https://velospace.org/node/20829

I believe this is a 1984 as well, but I'm not sure. Can anyone offer pointers on where to pin point this information? I've looked through a few catalogs I discovered through relevant posts at bikeforums, but haven't found anything conclusive.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    • CommentAuthorjam guy
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009

I usually hate when people put modern components on old road bikes but man, this is a great build. Good job!
    • CommentAuthorj-dogg
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009

Nice find.

The Designer's I have found don't have Ciocc pantographed into the bottom bracket. Your fork also looks a little different from mine.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009

This one does have the ciocc pantographed into the bottom bracket shell. The tapered ends where the seat stays meet the seat tube are (or were,due to rust) chrome as well, which leads me to believe the seat stays are chrome beneath the paint.

The rust got the best of the chrome on the chain stays in a few spots, so I'm not sure I'll be able to keep it around. The fork had quite a few little blotches of rust but is starting to polish up nicely. One spot I'm worried about is the internal cable routing, and I'm wondering how I should go about removing any potential rust from there.
    • CommentAuthorj-dogg
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2009

That may be a Ciocc SLX, which is F-in awesome if it is.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009

Just got back from the shop, and the verdict is in:

a.) It is indeed SLX!
    b.) The upper-race on the super record headset ain't looking pretty
    c.) The bottom bracket needs servicing, but might clean up nicely

I'm hunting for a grinder/buffing wheel on craigslist right now. Plan on polishing at least the cranks once I do.

Looks like I'm going to loose the chrome on the seat and chain stays. I might re-chrome them if I can find someone to do the job for ~200. About to give a white vinegar and baking soda treatment to the fork to see how it cleans up, but will definitely be re-chroming it if it doesn't clean up nicely.

Taking it in for a powder coat on Monday or Tuesday!
    • CommentAuthorj-dogg

Wow, SLX Ciocc frames are VERY sought after by collectors, I would almost trade with you if I didn't already finish mine lol.

You may be able to save the chrome, using the heat-wrap method I did. There is a special tape it's like 2500-degree resistant. Perfect for an oven.

Find some paint remover spray, most auto parts stores carry this. It's a can and the spray is like a foam. It's designed for car paint, it will annhiliate Krylon spray paint. See how much chrome there is, if memory serves me correct the SLX frames had metric shit-tons of chrome on the rear stays all the way up to the seat posts, hit it with the paint remover and see how much chrome there is under there, if there is a lot and it looks rescuable I would ask about this tape and see if you can get it taped off. When I did my restoration I had the tape applied and kept my original chrome. Partial chrome after spraying is gonna be a BITCH, most of these frames were factory-dipped first then sprayed. Some Ralieghs are notorious for being completely covered in chrome once the paint is removed.

Don't spray it until you remove the paint off those rear stays to see how much chrome there is, and if you're going to re-do the chrome, chrome first then spray it, I got really lucky and my chrome was still salvagable and after a few hours buffed out to an almost mirror-like finish.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

I really want to keep the original chrome on the stays, but unfortunately some of it rusted through completely, leaving just the bare metal in some rather large spots. Most of it is on the bottom of the stays, but the area near the drop outs are pretty much screwed. While the fork has a few pitted spots here and there, it's fine for the most part, and should be salvageable with or without the re-chroming.

Looks like the bottom bracket might need to be scrapped as well. The drive side bearing race has a few spots of gunk/rust, and there is one pitted spot on the left hand race. Gonna give it the citric acid treatment, and see if it's at all salvageable. Unfortunately the top race on the super record headset is hosed, so it's gonna live in my spare parts bin awaiting the unlikely event of finding a replacement.
    • CommentAuthorj-dogg

bottom bracket shouldn't be too hard, as long as the threads are good, it should be a 70mm Italian thread.

if the chrome is rusted through to bare metal in some spots, it will need to be re-chromed. it's not something that can be touched up. Chrome before you spray / powdercoat. very important.

Before you chrome though, check under that paint anyway. If you want to get as close to original have a look at a few of the SLX frames here on this site. Some have fully painted stays, some have the partial chrome mine has, others are chrome all the way up to the seatpost.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.