velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMaxThrash
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009

So, I almost got doored today while riding home. Obviously this happens to everybody sometime, but it really pissed me off so I need to vent. After the guy almost doored me (btw he was illegally parked) I was so pissed off I turned around and biked back to his car, pointed at my eyes and said "USE YOUR EYES BUDDY!". He said, "Hey, you too! I mean..." at that point I cut him off and started yelling "NO! THATS MY LANE! THAT'S MY FUCKING LANE!" I mean, seriously, you almost really fucked me up and you're gonna tell me it's my fault? How was I supposed to tell that you were about to open your door? I'm not a violent person, but I had a really strong impulse to smash my lock into the glass parts of his car.

ARGH!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009

Be happy, a friend of mine got doored going to work, and because he is a hemophiliac he had to have surgery.
    Yeah dude drivers are notoriously confused about right of way when it comes to opening their doors.
    The law is ALWAYS the same. You open your door when there isn't oncoming traffic. Bicycles are oncoming traffic. If you open your door and a fuckin SUV knocks it off you're not gonna blame the SUV driver for not yielding to your door. People are dumb.

One time during the DNC here in Denver I was riding through thick ass downtown traffic. I was in the middle lane to avoid getting doored and some ass face in a taxi decided to get out and walk the rest of the way. He opened the back door just as I was about to pass the cab. I hit the door, luckily at a pretty slow speed, and took a little dive over my handlebars. When I recovered the moron was STILL trying to get outta the cab and like step over my bike! I pushed his silly ass back in the cab, not to be violent but just to get my bike off the ground before he mashed up the rear wheel and when he just looked up at me all stunned. I started at him for a second and said "jesus fuckin christ fool you know this is a goddamn road? watch where you open doors!". I realized about ten seconds later he was Senator John Morse (name badge around his neck and pretty recognizable face). Good times.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009

Posted By: iron jaidenI realized about ten seconds later he was Senator John Morse (name badge around his neck and pretty recognizable face). Good times.

amazing!

this has always been one of my greatest fears, perhaps this is why it has never happened to me. although i live in mpls/stpl where even bad city traffic is admittedly not that bad i am always very careful and usually claim a lane to avoid this type of thing.
    one of the most things i find most amazing about a lot of cyclists is the ability we develop to guess what cars are going to do, a lot of us take this for granted but if you ride with a new cyclist, as i have been doing lately, you realize how many little things that influence your riding behavior. i am always looking into the cars in front of me looking for driver body language, brake lights, exhaust--whatever else may signal that a driver is about to pull out into traffic or open a door.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

A motorcyclist once told me don't look at the car, look at the mirror. If you see someone checking their mirror or having a funny look on their face you know they are about to pull something. It works good for getting doored too. Im always glancing ahead at the mirrors to see if someone is in the drivers seat of a parked car. When the back window is tinted or the person is short its hard to tell if someone is in the car unless you look at the mirror.

Thus far I've been really lucky. I've had some doors open right in front of me. Every time it has happened I have gotten the slowmo action movie moment and narrowly escaped disaster. Its usually not until a few minutes later that I realize how close I came to getting f'ed up.
    Yeah, I had a similar run-in with a douchebag in town last winter. I turned around and yelled at him. He told me that life was full of hazards. I congratulated him on recognizing that he's as smart as an inanimate hazard. Assneck.
    • CommentAuthortoroadie
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2009 edited

Some drivers really don't look and even miss seeing something as large as another car.

(Photo is "Thoughtless Driver" by "the worms!").

Posted By: wes m.A motorcyclist once told me don't look at the car, look at the mirror. ...

Follow wes m's sage advice, it'll save you. It's saved me many times.

As for venting and rage after an accident, try to remember, arguing about traffic is like arguing on the internet ....

FWIW: My worst dooring so far was hitting a black audi after a sprint start at a green light, 45km/h to zero in half a second, not fun. I was wearing a yellow jacket, had my front light on but meh.. "I didn't see you" was the driver's excuse. I was out for a bit and dizzy for about 30 hours, but as a consolation he couldn't close his door, the frame where the hinge attached was warped.
    • CommentAuthorhenrydec1

fuck cars.
    Posted By: wes m.A motorcyclist once told me don't look at the car, look at the mirror.

Also, when you're riding down the road and you see a car on a side street looking like they want to pull out, make sure you watch the front wheel, and not the rest of the car. You'll notice movement in the front wheel way before you can tell the whole car is moving. This won't help you avoid getting doored as far as someone swinging their door open infront of you, but it will help you avoid doors that are driven right infront of you.
    I ride on the right side of the lane. This also prevents drivers from squeezing you into parked cars.
    In Massachusetts at least, a cyclist is allowed to take as much space as they deem necessary for safety on the right side of the road. That amount has gotten larger as I've gotten older.
    • CommentAuthorAlM
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009 edited

Reeely?

I've never ridden far enough to cars where they could door me.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.