velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I am looking to buy a EAI Bareknuckle frame. I have a couple quick questions before I buy it because i would like to be happy with the purchase. I am wondering:

What size i should get, i am about 5'8" and have about a 29" inseam.

Is there some major reason why i shouldn't get one? Is anyone unhappy with the one they have and why?

Is anyone selling one in good condition? Just curious lol.

Any informed help would be really great, thanks.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009

i'm calling 50cm. it will fit like a 52cm.
    sick, i remeber that u had one i was hoping u would say something lol. I hear 50 cm and it sounds so small lol, but i trust u
    If you like your frame slightly smaller get the 50cm or more comfort the 52cm will work.

I am 5' 7" and I ride a 52cm.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009 edited

Posted By: nikes and bikesIf you like your frame slightly smaller get the 50cm or more comfort the 52cm will work.

I am 5' 7" and I ride a 52cm.
    you have less than 4" of seatpost showing and a short stem. you're point is invalid.
    i ride the 48cm, usually ride a 51cm, and i'm like 5'5"
    I'm 6' and ride a 58cm. I think a 50cm will be WAY to small for you. I think a 54cm or maybe even 56 would be best.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009

Posted By: terrible_one49I'm 6' and ride a 58cm. I think a 50cm will be WAY to small for you. I think a 54cm or maybe even 56 would be best.

What's the stand over height on your 58? The following chart indicates 33.85":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shapelike/2601595831/

But I've heard 34 1/2 from others. I've got a little over a 34 1/2 inseam, and am debating between a 58cm and 60cm bareknuckle right now
    The standover height on my 58cm Bareknuckle is 33 1/2" at the front of the tube, and 33 3/4" on the back of the top tube, right against the seatpost. These are accurate measurements that I just took. I have 700x23 tires on.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009 edited

Posted By: terrible_one49I'm 6' and ride a 58cm. I think a 50cm will be WAY to small for you. I think a 54cm or maybe even 56 would be best.
    kid said he had a 29" inseam dude.

but don't listen to anything i say. i only learned bike fit at barnetts.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

go to a shop, they'll size you up just right.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: GOBSTOPTODROPWhat size i should get, i am about 5'8" and have about a 29" inseam.

sounds like we are in the same boat. i am 5' 9", i wear pants with a 29" inseam and a lanky torso. i have a 52cm bk and i fits me very well.
    i just measured and the standover on mine is 31 3/8" with 23c clinchers. with my riding shoes on my taint is ~32.5-33" off the ground (definitely not exact, hard to do with a tape measure in jeans-
    probably closer to 32.5").
    i can stand over the bike flatfooted with no problems, i really like how this bike fits me.
    for us short legged guys the problems come in finding a TT measurement that does a 5' 9" frame any justice. when i bought mine a couple of years ago i considered the 50cm. standover was not dramatically too small, but i felt like i did not have enough top tube length. for me the standover on the 52 was a little snugger but still in the "fits well" range.

for the record rabbi i have a 110 stem and about 5" of post showing
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

i'll allow it.

you're pants might be a 29" inseam, but your legs are probably a bit longer, i'm guessing.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009 edited

Posted By: terrible_one49The standover height on my 58cm Bareknuckle is 33 1/2" at the front of the tube, and 33 3/4" on the back of the top tube, right against the seatpost. These are accurate measurements that I just took. I have 700x23 tires on.

cool. that's about what is quoted in the chart, so i'm going to assume you and eai are correct

I've never been sized by a professional, but according to the methods described in the zinn book my measurements would roughly be:

inseam 34 1/2
    torso 26.5
    arms 24.5

The stand over on the 58 seems about right for me stand over-wise, but the top tube seems a bit short. Should I go small and compensate with a longer stem and/or saddle setback, or should I just go with the 60cm and deal with the top tube being up in my junk? Unfortunately no shops (that I'm aware of) deal with euroasia (very few even carry track components/accessories) in Houston, so I'm pretty much SOL in trying before buying
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Its better to have a top tube that is too short rather that too long. Stems and seat posts and accomodate in one case, in the other you are stuck with a position that isn't right.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

The top tube length on the 60cm shouldn't be a problem, since it measures out at 58.5cm, and I'm accustomed to riding 60+ on my road frames. The stand over height was my primary concern, since it seems to run a bit big on the bareknuckles. I'll probably just go with the smaller to be safe, and eliminate the potential for crushing my twins every time i hop off
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: gregIts better to have a top tube that is too short rather that too long. Stems and seat posts and accomodate in one case, in the other you are stuck with a position that isn't right.
    QFT.

measure your saddle to bar drop and the distance between the nose of your saddle to the center of the clamp on your stem. just mimic that on the new frame and you should be good.
    This is all great, it looks like im gonna find a 50 cm. I just need to know where i can find one....
    Probably on here, ebay, craigslist, and MAYBE a retailer but they stopped making them so good luck.

I found mine on craigslist but I had to look in different cities.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009

Posted By: brooklynbombsProbably on here, ebay, craigslist, and MAYBE a retailer but they stopped making them so good luck.

I found mine on craigslist but I had to look in different cities.
    i visited EAI in mid feburary and they had just recieved a container (52' x 8' x 8') of the frames. retailers can still get them.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.