velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Today, I had lunch with my wife and our friend Rob. I ate a lot of fries. They were good fries. On my way back, I couldn't really breathe because of the fry-based overindulgence and I sat up in the saddle, hands off the bars to open up my lungs when suddenlyWALNUT!

I hit the walnut and it threw my front wheel over to the left. That would have been bad enough and might have been able to recover, but the guy behind me had taken just that moment to pass me. I heard my head bouncing along the ground as we crashed over some 25 feet. The other guy somehow wound up in front of me. I got my handlebars in the ribs, his pannier had somehow attached itself to my bike, and my beautiful 1992 Cannondale frame (see my bikes) was bent at the stays. It seems like he T-boned me and then drove right over. It was a mess.

So now I'm nursing a bruised shoulder (my favorite to wound, it looks like) and ribs. My helmet is broken, though, and it would be my head if I hadn't been wearing it. This is the second helmet I've broken.

I wasn't doing anything astoundingly stupid at the time, other than perhaps eating too many fries. But enough small stupid things added up quickly that I could have died or been brain damaged.

Wear a helmet. If we get the universal health care we're hoping for, that means I'm going to be paying to feed you through a tube. If you're not smart enough to take that easy precaution, that's a waste of my tax dollars.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009

I don't wear helmets when I ride or fuck.....

Kidding. I am really glad you are alright. I am mourning more for your frame though haha.
    • CommentAuthormastronaut

Mistake #1 NEVER EVER take your hands off the bars! Had you not done that your helmet would still be in one piece. That was astoundingly stupid BTW.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009 edited

Ive always worn my helmet ever since I had a similar helmet smashing experience. Wearing a helmet was highly rare for me at the time. I got the message. I think I'm one of the few men in his early 20s that has realized he is not invincible.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

I would say mistake #1 would be riding with your head down. I would say riding with your hands off the bars in like #86
    Yeah, I'm with Jam Guy. I've had a fair number of wipeouts in my long life of riding. Sometimes they're other peoples' fault (got sideswiped by a driver once, got doored another time), but most of the time it's my fault. On the other hand, riding on a smooth bike path with hands off the bars is pretty safe. I can go over roots and potholes. Walnuts are apparently beyond my ability, though.

Keep in mind, though, had that guy not been there, I still would have recovered with a touch of the shakes. My point is that enough small things were happening at once, only one of which was in my control, that I couldn't keep it together. I'm a skilled rider. I've ridden in cities all my life and have avoided some real doozies. And I could have died without my brain bucket. Sometimes, things just happen.

The other guy had some pretty bad road rash and a slightly warped wheel, but was otherwise OK. His helmet wasn't broken, I think because I broke his fall with my self.

And I like wearing a helmet when I fuck. It goes with the rest of the costume(s).

• CommentAuthorjam guy

haha amazing....
    • CommentAuthorqman
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009

not saying helmets are bad ,but some think they can do anything and be safe with helmet , here my reason for not wearing one , i hurt my back not riding but at work and it was spine problem ,there was nothing they could do ,just bed rest no walking only to goto bathroom , so i was stuck in bed for 7months could not do nothing. well after month was was going nuts .so if i was to crash or get hit by car i want be veg just be brain dead , because it hard to stay in bed when you know what right , if i am a veg who cares , and if you think it easy being in bed for months , then let someone tied you to bed or strap you and stay there for a month you go nuts after week .
    thus far i have shattered five helmets.

indeed there is some question of cognitive deficits...

but, my melon is still intact.

helmets are great!
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2009 edited

qman... ...wtf...

I might not wear a helmet, but I would wear 3do
    • CommentAuthorqman

like i said be stuck in bed for months ,trust me you think twice about being brain dead just not knowing ,i know sound sick but being bed riden drives you nuts
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

Posted By: qmanlike i said be stuck in bed for months ,trust me you think twice about being brain dead just not knowing ,i know sound sick but being bed riden drives you nuts

I cannot understand anything you just said.....
    • CommentAuthorqman

when people wear helmet they think there safe , well when you get hit by the car or crash from pot hole and you brake your back or crush spine and your stuck in bed for ever or in my case 7month you will wish your where brain dead or veg , because you go nuts being stuck in bed and able to walk or ride , when your stuck in bed and it 80 out and sun nice and all good think summer bring .but no you can do anything . so if could not walk or ride way know what goin on mite as well be dead , if anyone say the could live being stuck in bed ,well then there lieing and never been there .
    Is English, by chance, not your main language?
    • CommentAuthorqman

what dont u understand ,i admit i cant spell or type ,but i did not know we be graded on this , i will put this way helmet wont do you any good when the car hits you and brakes your back.
    I was trying to figure out if there was a reason, other than lack of effort or perhaps education, that your posts were so hard to read. Thanks for clarifying. I was trying to be nice. Guess I'm doing it wrong again.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009

Posted By: mydogsnameisbobI was trying to figure out if there was a reason, other than lack of effort or perhaps education, that your posts were so hard to read. Thanks for clarifying. I was trying to be nice. Guess I'm doing it wrong again.

I was split too much between English being a second language and just a young kid to ask him which. You did it delicately.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2009

7 months in bed vs your whole life? decision sounds pretty easy to me. and the helmet does help.
    It's illogical to say that you don't wear a helmet because you don't want your head to be hurt.

some think they can do anything and be safe with helmet

Who?

For the (probably fictional) people who think this:

I fractured a collarbone in a crash about half a year ago. It hurt for months and I'm still getting my left arm back up to flexibility and strength. This time, it wrecked my bike, I'm road rashed on my left shoulder and forearm, and I've got bruises that look like someone spray painted me grey on the inside of my left thigh. A chunk of flesh got taken out of my right index finger, and my left knee (the one I bang into chairs as I walk by) has two skinless spots. My left elbow lost a square inch of skin. It sucked to crash, making me miss a game of Rock Band with my wife and friend. It hurt and cost me the bike I wanted to build my whole life. I even had a bruise on my head.

Believe me, this is way better than if I hadn't been wearing the helmet. Arguing that I'd rather be dead right now (or more likely, cognitively damaged) is bizarrely ignorant nonsense.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.