velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I'm looking for what you ride, what you like, and what you like about it. I'm looking to spend between $50-$100...going by ebay pricing. I know that a lot of this is personnal preference but I would like to get some good ideas of what others have tried and liked.
    Fizik Aronie.
    tioga spyder, super light, looks great, very comfy
    I got that Concor under my sit bone. Feels good, looks good, and cost like five bucks at a thrift shop. They sell for waaaaaaay too much on eBay though.
    • CommentAuthorellwood
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009

I recently got a San Marco Ponza Lux and it's my favorite saddle so far. It's super comfy and they sell for like $55. And it looks killer on my bike. I'd strongly recomend one.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009

recommending saddles to someone you don't know/have never seen is like recommending a cure-all remedy to a hypochondriac. they're gonna buy it, realize it doesn't work, and then move on to the next cure.

realistically, you're probably going to go through 5+ saddles before you realize what fits your boy type the best.

but i'll play:
    classic selle italia flite ti
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

I am very lucky to have great ass/saddle compatibility with the selle italia xo trans am. It comes stock on some bikes (usually mtb) and other people hate them which means they are crazy cheap on ebay.

If nothing works for you, get a brooks. Ride it long enough and it will do whatever your ass tells it too.
    Fizik Aliante's are my favorite. Same as the xo trans am, the Aliante's come stock on some bikes, they still sell for a bit on ebay, but I've come across a couple cheap. I have 2 of them at the moment. About 2 years ago or so I was at the bike swap in Trexlertown, and a guy had a big box of seats, all $10 a piece. There was about 5 Aliante's in there, and for some reason I picked up one super excited and walked away. Why I didn't buy all 5 of them, I have absolutely no idea, and it's still one of my biggest regrets to this day.
    I know getting others opinions will not tell me if I will like it or not but I just want to see what people are using so I can narrow my search down.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

Posted By: upthemaidenFizik Aliante's are my favorite. Same as the xo trans am, the Aliante's come stock on some bikes, they still sell for a bit on ebay, but I've come across a couple cheap. I have 2 of them at the moment. About 2 years ago or so I was at the bike swap in Trexlertown, and a guy had a big box of seats, all $10 a piece. There was about 5 Aliante's in there, and for some reason I picked up one super excited and walked away. Why I didn't buy all 5 of them, I have absolutely no idea, and it's still one of my biggest regrets to this day.

Same thing happened to me at an auto show in PA, and I passed up a box full of never mounted crx engine harnesses for $25 a piece, bought one. Later found out they can retail refurbished for $150.

But anyways, though mine died, Selle Italia flite's are extremely comfy.
    I really like the Selle Italia SKN. I don't think they make it anymore but the (much more spendy) Aspide looks pretty similar. It's a split-tail, vinyl, lightly padded saddle. It's very durable, even after crashes and being ridden every day.
    i've owned all sorts of saddles, from san marco's to kashimax's. I currently ride with a tioga spyder saddle, brooks b-17, and a turbo perforated. My favorite would have to be the brooks. Once broken in, they're like a dream. I like the turbo a lot as well, and the tioga spyder. The one problem with tioga's is they are a lot of money for what you get, considering i got mine new for $50, and they break easily, Go with a brooks, you wont regret it!
    • CommentAuthorzmill12
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010

i'm struggling with the same saddle-finding journey, but i've recently decided on the Fizik Aliante. i haven't tried it out yet, but we'll see how it plays out...
    Both my og Turbo and my Turbo Gel saddles have been my favs.

The issue I've noticed with Brooks' is that if you're in the drops often or leaning far forward it is very uncomfortable.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Brooks aren't meant to be ridden with a lot of saddle to bar drop.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: the rabbiBrooks aren't meant to be ridden with a lot of saddle to bar drop.

Whut he said. At best (say, the Swift/Swallow/Professional), they're supposed to be ridden with basically zero drop, with the saddle and bar tops at the same level. For the B17, they're really intended to be ridden with the bars above the saddle.

For the BOB/retro-Fred in us all...
    • CommentAuthorgchain

Get a Specialized Romin. Check your sit bone width first and check it out. You'r junk hangs high and dry and once you get used to it it's the most comfortable saddle out there. I've tried numerous other ones and the Romin is gold. Brand new this year and comes in around 100$ I think. Worth every penny
    • CommentAuthordas_pyrate
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

selle italia turbo or fizik arione have been good for me. i wanna try out a san marco zoncolan tho
    Specialized Alias, super comfortable and is engineered not to make your nuts numb, plus it comes in different widths and are available on ebay. check out the specialized web site....
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010

BROOKS B15 WOULD'NT RIDE ANYTHING ELSE I HAVE 3 OF THEM.PERSONAL PREF.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.