velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorunojoe
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008

do you where a helmet and what is your daily cycling like? city? trails? hours or just from A to B?
    • CommentAuthorcrablegs
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008 edited

I wear a Giro Atmos (http://www.performancebike.com/product_images/250/40-3685-BLK-ANGLE.jpg) most of the time.
    I wore a Trek Sonic until it saved my life. Now I'm wearing a Bell until I get my shit together enough to send the Trek back for replacement.
    • CommentAuthormeatroll
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008

i never ride without one. i've cracked two (head smacking pavement, hard), which would have otherwise been my skull & brains. i use a $20 bell solar, works fine and doesn't look that awful.
    • CommentAuthormeatroll

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanI wore a Trek Sonic until it saved my life. Now I'm wearing a Bell until I get my shit together enough to send the Trek back for replacement.

you can get your busted helmet replaced?? you'd figure that's just the normal wear of the product doing it's job! haha
    i wear a helmet everyday...a bell alchera bought on the cheap.

i have a 13 mile round trip commute, most of which is done on a bike/running path where the helmet prob isn't totally necessary.

i've got about 4 miles of city riding where I swear everyone is a student driver...been clipped, doored, etc and after looking at the scrapes and cracks on the helmet i'm happy to rock it.
    man fuck helmets I got smacked by cars at least 5 times in the last few years I got cashed out twice on the spot and the rest was hit'n runs but both me and my bike survived so I'm not trippin.
    just gotta know how to avoid major damage when you get hit. riding fixed also helps me because it gives me better control over my bike and it cuts down my reaction time.
    • CommentAuthorJimtorious
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008 edited

I have a Specialized Instinct for the summer and a Louis Garneau Rebel in the winter.

• CommentAuthormeatroll

Posted By: aliderkrasseman fuck helmets I got smacked by cars at least 5 times in the last few years I got cashed out twice on the spot and the rest was hit'n runs but both me and my bike survived so I'm not trippin.
    just gotta know how to avoid major damage when you get hit. riding fixed also helps me because it gives me better control over my bike and it cuts down my reaction time.

yeahhh mannn that's what i tell em. you just gotta keep your head up when you're falling duh. being ejected, going from 25mph to 0mph within a couple seconds, and controlling your actions at the same time is simple unless you're a total noob.

now i bet you're gonna say some shit about tucking around rolling or something but save it. there's always that accident that you don't see coming and you can't ninja your way out of it. this doesn't happen to everyone, and it may not happen to you. i really don't care either way. but your logic is ridiculous.
    • CommentAuthormastronaut

Helmets do suck, but I wear one to set a good example to my son.
    I wish they made em cooler looking though...
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Helmets kept some people close to me from being vegetables. A big ass dent in a helmet shows you just how useful they are. Not matter how safe of a rider you think you are, you can't account for what distracted drivers will do.
    • CommentAuthorcupidstunt

here in melbourne, australia, its illegal to ride without a helmet
    so i have a cheap helmet that i stripped off the plastic and left the foam core, i then took a knife and some sandpaper to it and shaved it down to a helmet thats 1cm thick.
    totally impractical but its light and looks good.
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

Posted By: aliderkrasseman fuck helmets I got smacked by cars at least 5 times in the last few years I got cashed out twice on the spot and the rest was hit'n runs but both me and my bike survived so I'm not trippin.
    just gotta know how to avoid major damage when you get hit.

i don't wear a helmet either, but that is the dumbest shit i have ever heard. by your logic, fuck seatbelts too, you just have ot know how to brace for impact. if your bike survived, then you haven't been hit very hard. i'd say get back to me in year, but with that attitude, you'll be dead or retard-coma status by summer.
    thats right man if I drive by myself I say fuck that seat belt too and my logic works great. if it doesn't work for you guess I will have to get back to you in ten years. I grew up in one of the traffic craziest cities in the world Berlin and I used to ride fixed out there too. I used to go down the hill in SF on a skateboard at 45mph without a helmet and I will do so again on a fixie when I get over there next week. I got a helmet for the Velodrome because they won't let me on without it but anywhere else I say fuck it die young. I got a kid too and I still don't care and I don't think I will ever care I used to skate halfpipes without helmet and eat it occasionally I was hospitalized twice because of traffic accidents and I still shit on helmets... I don't care what the rest of the world does... wear whatever but don't come to me talking shit. I don't tell ya'll to not wear helmets. I'm just speaking for myself.
    I would wear one of those sick track helmets for aerodynamics only though
    • CommentAuthormeatroll
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008

your level of animosity for something that only has the potential to help you is incredible. were you beaten with a helmet in the past?
    also, do you brush your teeth?
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008 edited

he knows how to eat so the plaque doesn't stick to his teeth
    I don't wear a helmet, but rather have just learned how to ride in urban traffic.Wearing a helmet will do absolutely nothing to prevent you from getting hit by a car.

This article was taken from the link- http://bicycleaustin.info/laws/helmet-laws-bad.html

HELMETS ARE OVER-RATED

Helmet use among U.S. cyclists was nearly non-existent before the 1990's. Nobody wore helmets in the 80's and before. So what happened when helmet use skyrocketed in the 1990's? Head injuries went down, right?
    No, head injuries went up. Let me repeat that: When helmet use went up, so did head injuries. There's a big article about this in the New York Times, showing that head injuries among cyclists went up 51% in the 1990's as more and more cyclists started wearing helmets.

I'm not suggesting that helmets caused the head injuries; there are other plausible explanations for why head injuries increased (more attention to helmets and less attention to safe riding skills being one of them). But what I am saying is that the protective value of helmets is so small it's hard to measure.

CycleHelmets has other good information, such as the chart at right showing that countries with the most helmet use also have the most head injuries. This is important enough that it bears repeating: countries with the most helmeted cyclists also have the highest rate of cycling head injuries. And of course the converse is true: cycling head injuries are much lower in countries where cyclists don't wear helmets very much.

Some believe that helmets can actually promote injuries in various ways. One way is that they effectively make the cyclist's "head" much larger, so with a bigger head a falling cyclist is much more likely to slam it against the road or a car (causing traumatic brain injury because the brain is still slammed against the skull), or possibly even breaking the cyclist's neck. If this is true then it could explain why we don't see any reduction in cyclist fatalities when helmet use goes up: helmets could be saving some cyclists but killing others.

Helmet laws distract people from real bike safety.

Once a community passes a child helmet law parents and legislators think they've addressed the issue of bike safety and then pay no more attention to it. This leaves all those newly-helmeted kids with no riding skills on dangerous streets prime targets for getting hit, and their little piece of styrofoam will usually be cold comfort when they do. It is far more important to ensure that children know how to not get hit by cars, that they have lights on their bikes at night, and that roadways are constructed to be friendly to bicycle traffic. The fact that helmets have become a panacea is evidenced by all the cyclists who now ride around at night in pitch-black dark wearing their trusty helmet and having no lights at all. They don't realize that unlike lights, a helmet will do absolutely nothing to prevent them from being hit by cars.

Read these article too for information about riding in traffic- http://bicyclesafe.com/
    • CommentAuthormeatroll

Posted By: Otto Raxhe knows how to eat so the plaque doesn't stick to his teeth

hahahaha precisely
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

I'll reiterate that i 99% of the time don't wear one myself. only recently at the request of my mom and gf have i started thinking about it everytime i leave the house. that being said, the ONE time my best riding friend and i opted to wear them for a ride, both of us were almost hit. i think it gave me this false sense of security that inhibited my natural supervigilance. it was like my mind thought it was ok to not be as alert. and my worst riding injury in the last 3 years was painful, but would have broken my neck if i HAD been wearing a helmet. it's ALL personal choice, but i think alot of people truly need to ride with them. if you get creamed by a car or some other high speed incident, then i can see how they'd help. i guess i just see both sides to the argument.

Why don't we argue about why there is such a small assortment of helmets that aren't modeled after sci-fi alien skulls?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.