velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Im looking to buy some lights for my bike, im well over due for some, as I ride at night alot! Needing opinions on which Light set up you would suggest for me, thanks!!

James
    • CommentAuthorAlia
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008

I just got my first helmet light for the front and won't ever go back. I have gone through more front lights either falling off or just breaking - and trying to snap one on with lobster gloves in the winter is a huge task in itself. The helmet light was a little more expensive but is bright as hell and lights up anything you're looking at. I'd like to get one for the rear too eventually.
    • CommentAuthorstevieg
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008

Best tail lite, everybody uses this thing around here, super bright & very noticeable flashing pattern:
    http://ecom1.planetbike.com/3034.html

Headlights can get pretty expensive if you are looking for illumination, high-power LEDs are superior, I'm currently using:
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Lights/WhiteLiteHP1W

If you bike in relatively well-lit areas (city streets), then you probably need more "visibility" than "illumination", cheaper LEDs are good:
    http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/319
    I am a big fan of the Knog Frog lights. They are somewhat bright as far as illumination goes but plenty visible, plus you can move them from one bike to another without all that mounting bracket mess. And they only cost around $20 for the pair. Here is a site that has them for sale and pictures of them:

http://www.spadout.com/p/knog-frog-lights/
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008

Having a white helmet light is awesome, it lights up what you are looking at, so if a driver is getting close and you turn to check them out they will see your light
    • CommentAuthorJimtorious
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2008

I use those little blinky little turtle lights from MEC. They are tiny and blinky and they only cost $5 (can.) .
    • CommentAuthorbionnaki
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2008

avoid the knogs or cheapo blinkie - they are very weak and not noticeable by drivers especially in the city.

I recommend a planetbike superflash for the rear and a cateye HL-EL520 for the front.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008 edited

if you need a serious light for riding in almost complete darkness get a jetlite

http://www.jetlites.com/

i've commuted with a jet lite on a path with no lights and it was amazing, almost like a motorcycle head light

otherwise blinky crap should work for a city if you have a few of them, white in the front red in the back
    • CommentAuthorM0THER
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009

Cheapo tadpole blinkies are terrible if you're interested in being able to see in the dark. I use a cateye HL-EL135 which is okay for the price but if you have the money you should get the HL-EL520 or HL-EL530(water proof)

Oh man, I feel like a salesman for cateye or something ugh.
    I like the Blackburn Flea.

They're 4 LEDs for both front and rear. The front has 3 settings, low, high, and flashing. The rear has constant on, flashing, and alternating flashing (two left on, then two right on, etc).
    And they're rechargeable thing is awesome. Just get a rechargeable AA battery, and you use that to recharge the lights.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

Cateyes are OK for illumination, and they do use standard batteries (always a plus). But I have an unfortunate tendency to butterfinger them - drop them on the sidewalk and smash them all to hell. This gets expensive. I lost an EL300 that way, and I cracked one of the sealing cogs in the EL530 I got to replace the 300. Now I can sometimes get it to light, if I put enough torque on it.

I have the 5-LED Cateye (TL-LD600) as the taillight on my grocery beater. For headlights, I use a combination of a NiteRider TrailRat II halogen and a Black Diamond LED helmet lamp (an older generation of the Icon) intended for mountain/cave guys.

For the other bikes, I tend to swap a bunch of blinky LEDS (Cateye and Rav-X) onto the seatstays. I've got a bunch of blinkies on my messenger bag; if I'm wearing my bag at night, I ride lit up like a Christmas tree.

I'm looking to batteryless options for touring, or at least stuff that uses all standard batteries. I just got a cheapie LED flashlight that I've rubberbanded to a handlebar, as an experiment. If it works, I'll get a better flashlight and rig a sturdier harness. The Nitto racks and the Frenchy constructeur racks often have brackets for attaching lights, and Wald in Kentucky makes holders for standard flashlights.

There's a system from a Danish company called Reelight that uses induction to light the LEDs. Magnets are mounted in the spokes, which pass by an electrical coil in the light mounted on the skewer. This generates enough electrical current to light the LED. There are two variants: One flashes, and the other is steady.

I was in the Haight-Ashbury a few weeks ago, and one of the five bike shops was closing out a solar-powered taillight for about $7, which is way below my what-the-hell limit. You clamp it to the seat tube, it's big, and the solar panel is finicky; it really needs direct light to charge up. But it's cool, conceptually speaking.
    strap a coleman max on your helmet. it is $20 at wallmart its waterproof 115lumens all aluminum needs 3aaa batt. and lasts for i think 6 hours
    Hi, I ended up getting some blackburn flea lights, they work great, they are super bright. They dont use batteries, they are led lights, the way to charge them are by a double AA battery, pretty cool method really. I got them super cheap at a bike swap here close to home. I really like the fact that they are small, looks smooth with your bike, dont get in the way, last a long time, couple different settings.

here is a link to them, if you wanna check them out, http://www.blackburndesign.com/lights.html
    Posted By: gregHaving a white helmet light is awesome, it lights up what you are looking at, so if a driver is getting close and you turn to check them out they will see your light

+1
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009

Posted By: cyclecrazyjamesHi, I ended up getting some blackburn flea lights, they work great, they are super bright. They dont use batteries, they are led lights, the way to charge them are by a double AA battery, pretty cool method really. I got them super cheap at a bike swap here close to home. I really like the fact that they are small, looks smooth with your bike, dont get in the way, last a long time, couple different settings.

here is a link to them, if you wanna check them out, http://www.blackburndesign.com/lights.html

see also: Blackburn Flea Headlight
    Yes exactly greg, They work great, and charging them is great to, easy to work with.

I would recommend them for sure
    Posted By: bionnakiavoid the knogs or cheapo blinkie - they are very weak and not noticeable by drivers especially in the city.

I recommend a planetbike superflash for the rear and a cateye HL-EL520 for the front.

I agree with bionnaki. Knog frog lights are great if your in a well lit city, and your just trying to avoid getting ticketed for not having a light at night, but as far as my experiences go, they aren't really that great for seeing in the dark, or being seen by cars. I have found that most planet bike lights work out pretty good, especially some three LED model they have. I haven't had the cash flow to invest in a good helmet mounted light yet, but ideally thats what i would be using.
    • CommentAuthorscruggle
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

Hey, why do people always say Knog Frogs and related blinkies aren't any good for seeing in the dark - that's not the point of them, it's only to increase visibility (and it's why they are $5-$15, not $200)

It's fine to let people know what they are and aren't good for, but as a criticism it's like saying 'Road bikes suck, they can't handle downhill courses'
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009

because they are lights? and are supposed to light your way.
    i use the higher end knogs and they are okay. i just like that i can take them off my bike when i'm not using them.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.