velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

thoughts? I have an all 3/32 fixed drive train, if that helps anything. people say that white lightning is pretty good stuff, but I've never tried it.
    THANKS

ha ha astroglide, ha ha snort.
    -don't be that douche bag
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2009

rock'n'roll
    • CommentAuthorgreg

White Lightning is good and usually on sale
    Nothing but White Lightning for my bikes.
    dumonde tech lite last long, smooth and quiet for road bikes
    Posted By: gunssforhiredumonde tech lite last long, smooth and quiet for road bikes

+ 1
    And it doesn't smell like it's going to give you brain damage.
    • CommentAuthorLoneWolf15

I use Finish Line Pro Teflon (now known as Finish Line Dry) in the drip bottle. Drip bottles are more precise than a spray, so you don't get any on your bike. It attracts minimal dirt, and keeps my drivetrain trouble-free and quiet.

I lube the chain on the bike about every other week. Spray some degreaser on a rag, then run the chain backwards through it a few times until relatively clean. Then use a dry rag to get off any remaining degreaser. One drop of lube per link pin, then I let it set for a few. I flex each section of the chain slightly from side-to-side to get rid of any stiff links, pedal backwards to make sure the lube is absorbed, then wipe off any excess lube.

Once a month or so, I'll remove the rear wheel and clean the cassette cogs so they aren't adding additional grime to the chain.
    hey sorry just found an old conversation with the same title. Here's the link:

you mods can sink this thread if you want.
    • CommentAuthorfixedpuch

Posted By: RideEveryday
    Posted By: gunssforhiredumonde tech lite last long, smooth and quiet for road bikes

+ 1
    And it doesn't smell like it's going to give you brain damage.

dumonde tech smells like blue cheese...
    oh well, guess this thread is still going. I got rock and roll. LBS said they preferred it over white lightning. It was the same price so I said fuck it and bought what they suggested.

Forgot to mention, I just ran out of tri-flow w/ teflon. I cleaned off the excess twice (once after cleaning, once after lube lubing) and it still seemed to pick up lots of grit fairly quickly.
    Supposedly wax based lubes like RnR and White Lightening don't attract dirt (or at least that is what they claim). Will see what happens.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2009 edited

If you aren't in a really wet location, though I still used this in Washington (Rain capitol)...
    Get an old one quart sauce pan, go to the grocery store and pick up a box of parafin (4 bars). Over a stove, melt the parafin in the sauce pan (You won't need all 4 bars); use enough to submerge the chain. Cook your chain long enough to bring it to the same temp as the wax. Get a steel clothes hanger and hook one end of the chain to pull it out of the pan, bend the other end so you can hook it over something while the chain cools off. Oh, and just use a terrycloth towel to wipe as you pull it out.
    When the pan with the wax still in it cools down, just hang it on your wall ready for the next time. No clean up.

The beauty to this is that if the chain is heated properly, it will pull the parafin into every crevice, with every time you do this it floats the dirt (doesn't pick hardly anything up) out of the chain and deposits it in the bottom of the pan. IT'S Cheap and you can reuse the wax until it gets too much sediment in the bottom of the pan, then you just heat and toss. It stays on the chain, no drip, no grime, no greasy mess and it IS parafin, not just wax-based (parafin) lube.
    I keep two chains; one that is done and one that is on the bike.
    First time you do this, use a good cleaner and give the chain a good scrubbing to get it as clean as possible.
    now just try dipping your hot wings in dumonde
    Mayonaise
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009

Used motor oil, available on recycling day at the curb.
    seriously though. rock n roll gold lube is the answer.
    • CommentAuthorglider
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2009

+1 rock & roll gold
    • CommentAuthorwhipithard
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009

yea my work has been blowing R&R lube we got a few kinds and everyone seems to like it
    • CommentAuthorgiosSR215
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2009

I use phil bio lube and have no real problems with it. It supposedly "penetrates metal" so from my understanding of that, that would mean after you have everything greased and packed and put together this should keep everything running well on top of the grease and stuff you put in when you put the bike together.
    Heh. I use Tri-Flo. Sadly, it smells like bananas, which I do not like. My experience with White Lightning is that I spend more time relubing than riding.

I am curious about Rock 'N' Roll, but how much better can it be?
    Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanHeh. I use Tri-Flo. Sadly, it smells like bananas, which I do not like. My experience with White Lightning is that I spend more time relubing than riding.

I am curious about Rock 'N' Roll, but how much better can it be?

SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER, IN MOTION, LIKE LOTION

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.