velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormarcoskp
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2016

Hi everyone, as you can see this is my first post. I hope anyone can help me. I found this bike frame in a old garage and bought it really cheap. The previous owner said it is a Basso, but could not precise which model. After searching for models that look like it I found it somewhat like Coral. But it has some differences. It would be great if anyone could help me.

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthormarcoskp

BTW the serial starts with k247
    • CommentAuthormarcoskp

Size 56
    Cheers, Mate - but frankly, I have no idea who made this frame.

My impression is that it is possibly repainted and made of aluminum and could be post-2000 from Taiwan. There is nothing wrong with that, I have one myself. What did the previous owner say ? Where did he get it from, and what does he know about aluminum Basso frames ? What does the BB threading tell ?

I used to have in fact two Taiwanese aluminum frames. My first one was a pre-2000 with a quill stem and 'welded-on seat bolt receivers' (i.e. no clamp): A weird form of prototype by a local brand. I managed to rip off the welded-on seat bolt receivers - fixed with a fat clamp until years later I detected cracks in the steering tube. Quill stems with aluminum tubes are a BAD idea.

My conclusion:

You should be on the safe side with a good quality steel fork or carbon. See if the tires that you prefer will fit (rear width should not be a problem here), see if the frames is roughly your size and build it up.
    • CommentAuthormarcoskp
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016

felissilvestris ,

Thanks for answer. It was repainted. Twice actually. When I bought it somene did a lazy job painting it white without correctly removing the previous/original color. I removed it with sand blaster. BB threading is italian and that is the thing that makes me think that it really is an Italian made (or ordered) bike frame. Who else in the world works with that kind of BB?

For Taiwanese aluminium frames, I also have one, branded Aerotech, and I wouldn't be surprise if both came from the same factory. But it's too small for me and too instable to ride with the peloton: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pq-HWf6ODEm_mhBJ0W0Y2YM4BqCr4pOxcg/view?usp=sharing
    • CommentAuthormarcoskp

I will keep the aluminium fork. Perhaps it's heavier than the carbon fork that I have on the orange frame but it's pretty light weight too and good looking, and I would have nothing to do with it. Perhaps the new bike will weight a little more, but I don't plan racing anyway. And changing from a 52cm to a 56cm will fit much better and will be more comfortable.
    • CommentAuthormarcoskp

perhaps?
    • CommentAuthormarcoskp

Indeed, ITA is definitely a hint. What I actually wanted to say is 'steel or good quality carbon fork' :D

http://www.wuler.com.tw/php/e-pro.php

No more vintage lightweight aluminum road forks, since I witnessed a crash on a descent in the Spanish Pyrenees. Both (C'dale) fork arms broke off at the crown. Clotted blood everywhere, it looked as if he cracked his head in and no ambulance in sight. It turned out our Candian friend was lucky, but his holiday was pretty much over, i.e. the rest of it pretty much bandaged.
    • CommentAuthormarcoskp

Wow. Good point. I'll take that advise in consideration. Perhaps I should keep the carbon fork or buy a new one. Anyway, here goes a low res pic of the aluminium fork. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2REamb4Z5gpTFcwUGNDYXFzY28/view?usp=sharing
    • CommentAuthormarcoskp

• CommentAuthormarcoskp

• CommentAuthormarcoskp
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2016 edited

I think I got a match! Basso Olimpic. Even with the welded piece between the chainstay.

http://www.uship.com/uk/delivery/Rare-new-Basso-Olimpic-racing-frame-60cm/13884848/
    • CommentAuthormarcoskp
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.