velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorchefn8
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2015

going to Richmond in September and doing the conquer the cobbles ride. Looking for some better tires for the cobble climb up libby hill and just to ride around. I ride CO canal and gravel sections as well as rough f#@ed up pavement around DC. Looking at Panaracer gravel king, or Vittoria open pave tires. I mostly ride a 28 tire and both are about the same weight. Vittoria has about double the TPI, but also has a higher minimum PSI. Anyone have experience with these tires or have other recommendations. Running on my Salsa Chil Con Crosso.

Thanks for any input.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015 edited

Is there a reason other than weight that you're riding 700x28 tires on a cross bike? For any route with road irregularities, wider tires will get you a better grip at lower PSI. Salsa's specs for the 2012 CCC say there's clearance for 35mm tires; I'd get as close to that as my wallet would permit.

Brandwise, Challenge's Strada Biancas grow from 30mm to about 32mm, depending on the rim. I've gotten a lot of wear out of the narrower 27-to-30mm Parigi-Roubaix model, which has the same tread. There's also a grass-track CX version, the Almanzo, in similar widths; it has little dirt/pebble studs at the corners of the tread, while the SB is a regular road pattern. Wiggle has the Strada Biancas on sale at the moment - $55 each, with free shipping to the US.

Currently, I'm riding the 28mm Compass Chinook Pass (made by Panaracer, like a lot of the small-brand tires) on this Follis over here, and they're marvelously floaty, light tires. Compass does a 700x32 version (Stampede Pass), which comes in both a reinforced 291g and a lightweight 254g version (the 26 and 28mm Compass tires use the lightweight casing). The next jump up is the 38mm Barlow Pass; Compass has said they're planning to release a 700x35mm tire (the Bon Jon Pass) to fill the gap, perhaps later this month once the ship from Japan shows up.

At a heavier weight but allegedly more durable casing, there's Rivendell's 700x28 Rolly Poly (unbelted) and Ruffy Tuffy (belted). I've ridden Ruffy Tuffys for years on my Bianchi, and they're tanks; they'll take a phenomenal amount of abuse. I've put about 4000 miles on mine; I'm about to change them, but only because there are chunks of tread coming out of the front tire.

However, I have been wildly disappointed with Rivendell's 700x33 Jack Brown Blues (belted; there's also an unbelted Green version). In theory, they're just a wider version of the Rolly Poly/Ruffy Tuffys, using the same tread design and case. But in practice...I have three of them; so far, the two I've run on the front have both had massive sidewall blowouts, with the casing tearing along the rim line right above the tire bead. In my book, that's a design failure; the casing is failing in a place you normally can't see, a place where there's constant wheel friction. The rear tire ran OK for the first few hundred miles; ever since then, it's been a magnet for road trash, picking up wire and glass. I've had to swap tubes five times in the last month. I'm done with these; they were expensive tires, they've utterly failed, and I will never spend money on them again.
    eaglerock touched on everything I would have and in greater detail.
    • CommentAuthorchefn8
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015

eaglerock thanks for the input. My CCC is the 2010 and only has clearance for 32's. I ride mostly road with a little gravel - hence the 28's. It also can't run higher than a 30 due to the fact the the new 11 speed front derailleur has a longer swing arm which actually rubs the tread when fully engaged if I run 32's. I was looking at vittoria open pave's, but also the challenge Paris-Roubaix. Have you ridden the Open Pave's? How is the durability on the Challenge Paris Roubaix? I think I am leaning towards the Challenge tires since they also have a lower minimum PSI rating than the vittoria's. I typically run 110 on the road and drop down to 85-90 when I know I am going to ride gravel.

Thanks
    Road and light gravel are all the more reasons to bump that tire size up! Now that there are quite a few large, supple, and light tires there really isn't a reason to ride tires under a 32ish c.

I love Panaracer, hence my fondness for Paselas, Grand Bois, and Compass which are all made by Panaracer. Riv tires are also made by Panaracer. The Panaracer Pasela is the best bang-for-your-buck tire I've ridden; they're relatively light, quick, cushy, and cheap. If you or anyone else opts for the Pasela I highly recommend NOT getting the "PT" puncture strip version as it adds weight, reduces the suppleness, and therefore reduces the ride quality. I have the Challenge Parigi-Roubaix and they are great as well.

To address your durability questions, I tend to prefer light, supple, low pressure tires over higher pressure, heavier, "puncture resistant" tires. There's nothing like a large, cushy, fast tire. I ride city streets, canal towpaths, and fire roads and they treat me fine. The lower pressures tend to roll over hazardous objects rather than "pop" or puncture the tires to a degree. With that being said, I'm pretty cognisant of my surroundings and don't blatantly roll over glass or the such. Your milage may vary. After riding a comfortable AND fast tire I couldn't turn back.
    • CommentAuthorchefn8
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2015

follow up. decided to go with the Panaracer gravelking 28. Seemed like the best combination of price, durability, rolling resistance, suppleness, and weight. If I had the money to replace more often I probably would have gone up a size to the challenge strada bianca.

first ride on the new tires today -- 74 miles, smooth road, sidewalk, choppy road, two different gravel types, extended wood plank bridges over wetlands, a little cobbles and paved trails. They make a quiet zipper sound on smooth pavement, doesn't affect speed, and not loud enough to be annoying. If speed was an issue, it certainly wasn't the tires. Not a lot of difference on fine gravel, still vibrate your arms pretty good. Going over larger rocks, they definitely absorb the brunt, you can feel them flex and glide right over the rocks. Cruising up to 24mph without a lot of effort on gravel, pushed up to 27mph. disclaimer- I started the day on fairly spent legs.

Inflated to 95psi rear, 90psi front. I weigh about 220. I would most likely drop 5psi on both next time I ride cobbles. As for durability, I will have to follow up later. Pretty great ride to start.
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2015

Anybody have experience with the Clement Strada LGG?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.