velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorhola_jorge
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2015

Hi guys,

Super new to the site and to building bikes in general. I need some advice on building a mid 90s Bianchi.
    I have a NOS Bianchi from I purchased from Spain. Im not sure what model it is but the shop owner said its from the mid 90s most likely a 95.

So from my research, a good match would be campy record or chorus from 95 or 97 would be good. They came in 8 speed to 9 speed. Im also very keen on the old school campy wheelsets; zonda, shamal, etc

I've only used 10 and 11 speed bikes so...

- Im assuming it would be in poor taste to use new campy 10-11sp parts on the frame?
    - What can I expect going with an older groupset?
    - Are there ways to mix different era components to get the best feel / ride quality?
    - Any parts from that era I should stay away from or watch out for, specially if they're used?

Thanks for all and any help guys!

Jorge

• CommentAuthor8Aaron8

Are you trying to bring this back to it's mid 90's glory days? I see no reason not to put modern components on the bike. A group with carbon bits like Record would look great on there.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Its your bike, do what you want with it, whether that be era correct or modern. As for mixing eras, it is best to stick withyhe same era, at least for like components. For example, drivettain components like derailleurs and shifters should be of the same era. Wheel set needs to match speed, 8 speed wheels use a different spline for the cassette. Crankset and brakes can be from any era, just make sure to get matching chainrings
    Hola Jorge, Chorus and Record are available in 10-sp and there is nothing wrong in 10-sp Ultegra and 105 either (even if 105 crankset and hubs would not be my first priority). In general, I agree with Aaron and Veg here. It usually pays off to opt for Ultegra hubs and good quality chainwheels, whereas things as derailer choice don't really seem to matter, as long as the drivetrain works.

First of all, however, you will probably need a FORK(!) for this. When it comes to brifters, I can report that I have a pair of rather bulletproof 8-speed RX100 ones, but there were more recent Tiagra, Sora and cheap Campagnolo ones -of which I forgot the model- that seemed a bit ramshackly in appearance. Just see what you like and can get hold of, as long as the whole thing is 'compatible'. -And- Post the steps/ results.
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2015 edited

I come from the car world, specifically old BMWs and Alfas. While Im all for the "build it how you want it" approach... theres still a level of understanding the eras do's and don'ts. Like putting 2015 wheels on a nice bmw 2002, Thats just not cool. hahaha

I don't really know if thats a thing with these bikes, Ive seen some really nice 90s restorations... but like my car builds I don't build museum quality projects, I like to use them, have fun with them. I definitely lean towards the classic race parts but never take away from the original classic look.

So I'm all for going with 90s campy parts as long as they provide a good riding experience. Im just have zero experience with that stuff. I guess Im just being cautious before I blow my cash on a campy 11spd record groupset! lol

Also note, I have a 2009 bianchi eros I roll around in too so maybe having a 90s era build could be a good compliment to that bike.

Thank you guys for the advice in advance!
    I have no idea how much money you would be willing to throw at this, but if you are acquainted with 10sp campy equipment, you indeed cannot go wrong with Record or Chorus. Things like wheels are expendable items and differ in purpose: Usually it makes not much sense to use competition wheelsets with a lot of carbon parts for training purposes.

The rest is to a certain extent indeed a matter of taste, and tastes just tend to differ: Personally, e.g. I would not use non aero brake levers, but for instance do not like ‘Brooks’ saddles and ‘Fisik’ ones on Oldtimers. Also, I am not a fan of those -until now- rather plump 'modern' saddle pins from Thomson. A lot of people on here, however, would completely disagree with me.

With your 2009 Bianchi you are on the rather safe side, I suppose, and there is not much that could possibly go really wrong here either. - Go for 90s Campy or keep it compatible to the stuff that you already have: Cf. http://campybike.com/ModernEra.htm - Keep posting and listen to our remarks :D
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015

Posted By: hola_jorgeLike putting 2015 wheels on a nice bmws 2002. Thats just to cool. hahaha

I have 20 year old honda wheels on a 30+ year old honda.

And then a steering wheel older than the car.

Anyways, enough thread jack

Opps sorry for my typos, I meant to say: Adding modern era parts on an old bmw classic is not cool.

Veggie, even for your civic. I would say using those civic vx wheels are in bad taste. The only way I would say its ok is if you had meaty track tires and that car was track prepped, other than that too modern and not a good wheel to begin with... With so many amazing options you can use on the car, classic mugen, ssr, advan, enkei, etc. Even rota makes some decent replica wheels. The steering wheel on the other hand works, because its classic and the wood goes with your brown/ tweed? interior. I should know I have an 87 golf with the same interior.

So this is my 87 GTI. Lot of stock parts but also has modern coilovers, modern exhaust, modern engine components, modern breaks, the wheels are era correct, but have been updated with modern / wider outer rims.

Heres my daily driver same year 87 golf everything era correct. only 56k on the car, so I felt it was important to keep it original.

My bmw, pretty much era correct. My alfa, pretty much era correct. but I always replace performance parts with the best available to make the driving experience better.

Thats what I need to figure out for this bike, if 1997 record campy rides awesome then no problem. But if it makes my ride shitty then I would rather look at something more comfortable and fun. Make sense?

So I can be free with these parts:
    - brakes
    - crankset

parts that need to match:
    - Front derailleur
    - Rear derailleur
    - Cassette
    - Shifters

Parts unsure of:
    - Bottom bracket
    - Wheel hub

Also, I have the uncut original fork as well.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015 edited

Posted By: hola_jorgeVeggie, even for your civic. I would say using those civic vx wheels are in bad taste. The only way I would say its ok is if you had meaty track tires and that car was track prepped, other than that too modern and not a good wheel to begin with... With so many amazing options you can use on the car, classic mugen, ssr, advan, enkei, etc. Even rota makes some decent replica wheels. The steering wheel on the other hand works, because its classic and the wood goes with your brown/ tweed? interior. I should know I have an 87 golf with the same interior.

They are HX's. These are 14" while I believe the VXs are 13". They aren't my grail wheels, I know there are ones better suited out there, but I got these for a deal at a time when I needed new wheels and I don't think they look half bad, so, to each their own.

Posted By: hola_jorgeThe steering wheel on the other hand works, because its classic and the wood goes with your brown/ tweed? interior. I should know I have an 87 golf with the same interior.

I have black '84 prelude seats, but yes, brown interior/tan carpet. Though one of these days my grandfather will ship down the black S interior my dad found in Oregon. Then I will install some black carpet.

Posted By: hola_jorgeThats what I need to figure out for this bike, if 1997 record campy rides awesome then no problem. But if it makes my ride shitty then I would rather look at something more comfortable and fun. Make sense?

All I have ridden is older pointy style 9s campy, and I love it!
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015 edited

Posted By: hola_jorgeSo I can be free with these parts:
    - brakes
    - crankset

parts that need to match:
    - Front derailleur
    - Rear derailleur
    - Cassette
    - Shifters

Yes and Yes.

Posted By: hola_jorgeParts unsure of:
    - Bottom bracket
    - Wheel hub

Bottom Bracket will need to match the crankset, so you will get to that when you find a crankset.

8 speed hubs use a different spline than 9/10/11 speed hubs
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015

Awesome, thank you.

So does that mean 9/10/11 speed hubs use the same or can be mixed?
    I'll start digging around. I saw a nice 90s campy record set on eBay a couple days ago.
    Yes, they can be mixed.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2015

Maybe it's just distortion on the picture, but the top of your headtube looks like it's planed at a weird angle.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.