velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hello all, I'm new to this website, but I'm really excited today. Just bought my first road bike after an adulthood of being on mountain bikes. I'm training for an Olympic distance triathlon (sponsor me at www.justgiving.com/inmemoryofirene) and thought it best to buy the right too for the job.

The bike is a second hand Chrome - Molybendium Peugeot bike I've checked it over and it's in great condition for its age and cleraly the frame is good quality. The name of the bike escapes me, but it's a CAD designed frame and is one of their French built frames; colour is PINK!

I'll be stripping it down this weekend and double checking all the bearings and axles, but the big question for a roadie virgin is if there is anything I should do to this bike what would it be. What (inexpensive) mods if any should I be looking at, if at all.
    • CommentAuthorfilthpunx
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009

id say brake/shifter cables,maybe new tires/tubes?im no roadie but thats the first thing id be looking for.wouldnt want them breaking or sticking at high speed.maybe some fresh bar wrap also
    • CommentAuthorJonD

Wheels are often a great upgrade, but, assuming you're not shelling out another $600 or so, maybe a crankset/bb combo. You can get a new double with BB (depending on getting the fit right, and so on) for maybe $150. Of course compatibility with shifters and derailleurs can sometimes make that less of a slam dunk.

Handlebars, especially for your tri, are an easy one too.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

All good answers, and these would be the primary focus. Ensure the wheels are true, bearings are smooth and adjust accordingly. THEN the most important thing is to get out and ride it. If you are training for a ride like this, you are going to have to learn to cycle all over again if you've only been on mtn bikes. You'll quickly figure out what fits you and what doesn't. Because it's a new way of riding, you may make several changes while you get ready. Find a friend who's been road riding and is a good strong cyclist and train with him. Let him burn you out, again and again and again until you figure out what makes him strong. You're going to want to ride your race distance at 120% to 130% of effort training, so that you'll be able ride effectively and still make your run.
    • CommentAuthorLoneWolf15
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009 edited

Tires (if the existing ones show wear or dry-rot; if they do, get new tubes as well)
    Shifter and brake cables
    Brake pads
    Wheel truing and tensioning
    A new chain (if worn; if extremely worn, a new freewheel or cassette as well)
    Re-grease and adjust hub, bottom bracket, and headset bearings, replacing all ball bearings that appear worn
    Bar tape.

That's everything I'd consider doing. I wouldn't do upgrades; at a certain point, you're sinking in several hundred dollars better spent on another bike if and when the upgrade bug bites. Older bikes are best maintained, rather than upgraded. Hard to tell you much else about the bike itself until you post pictures in your profile.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.