velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2015

Hello everyone!

My name is Chelsea, community manager for Carbon Media Group and an admin here on Velospace.

I've been on your site and seen what a great and supportive community you have here and I really want to make this site better.

What feedback do you have for me on the site? This can range from layout and theme, to design, functions, add-ons (like avatars, points, member information, etc.).

Leave your thoughts below so we can start the conversation!

Thanks!
    For starters we are unable to see our own profile. If I click mine the page shows as blank white. We are able to see others profiles albeit the bio which disappeared around the same time.

The photo uploader requires a unique file name in order to work. If an existing name is used then the original photo of that name is displayed. A recent batch of uploads has fallen victim to this.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015 edited

We have discussed the issues described above many times. Also the ads are excessive to the point that they affect browsing through the website. Please keep them on the margins and not blocking text. They are basically pop up ads.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015

Posted By: Mancha150We have discussed the issues described above many times.

we need to get them all in one place, which is here
    Again ...

a) Pic upload with unique filenames, i.e. create a function similar to 'if pic filename exists, please choose a unique filename'. Maybe with some more explanations. Also, all the virtually hundreds of already existing duplicates could be sorted out. There might even be a semi-automated way to do this: for file in ~/allthevelospacepics/*.jpg ; do mv "S{file}" S{node}_duplicate"S{n}".jpg; n=S((n+1)).

b) According to those that actually do see ads, they seem way too annoying and aggressive. Consider, therefore, to smooth it down a bit for increased site usability.

c) Additional features might attract users: Suggestions have been made by quite a lot of people. Personally, for instance, I once tried to kick off what apparently had been kicked off before many times, e.g. https://velospace.org/forums/discussion/2493/new-category-bike-trip/

Once, (a) (b) and maybe (c) have been taken care for, e.g. the 'forum' might be improved or reorganized. What I like is the simplicity on here. So try to keep it as simple as possible, but not simpler than that - and not too complicated either.

Cheers
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015

+1
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2015 edited

Great! Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Much appreciated.

Let's dig a little deeper: what's everyone's purpose for coming to velospace?

Do you like and use the forums frequently? Or do you use the site more to view and upload pictures of your bikes? Do you like the marketplace section of the site?

When you enter the velospace.org URL, what is your usual reason for visiting? What features of the site do you use on a daily basis?

We're trying to get as much information as possible on the Velospace user experience because we want to update the site to a more current and nicer software. We've seen what a great community you have here and know you guys deserve a better place to call home. If the community is here mostly to share bikes and buy/sell them, then we want to cater to that. Or, if the community is based more in the forum, then we want to highlight that feature.

Let me know!
    Bicycles brought me in, community kept me coming.

Bicycles:

1) Requiring an end-user to have a unique file name isn't user friendly.
    2) Image file sizes are too small. We love details.

Profiles:

1) User's can't view their own profiles. Makes them unlikely to update w/ new bicycles. Perfect example here. Haven't uploaded a new bicycle in a year.
    2) I can no longer see where a user is from.

Front End:

1) For a lot of us, this is the Craigslist of bicycle sites. It's ugly, but we like it. Focus more on feature developments and not visual changes, but fix 'dem bugs first. :)

2) You're for profit. We get it. Walk the fine line of advertising. Enough to profit, but not enough to drive users away. You're getting very close to driving folks away.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2015

Posted By: Albert Kernberg2) You're for profit. We get it. Walk the fine line of advertising. Enough to profit, but not enough to drive users away. You're getting very close to driving folks away.

Especially when you try and post anything from a touchscreen phone. When I try and post something, my keyboard covers half of the screen and an ad for a truck I'm never gonna buy covers the rest causing me to go to great lengths to get rid of the ad.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Hey guys,

We know the ads are a bit much - we've made note of it. As far as things being broken on the site, this can fortunately be fixed during the redesign.

What we really want to know is what you'd like to see in the redesign of the site...do you want us to focus on the marketplace aspect? Or focus on the forum?
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2015 edited

Those who survived the revolution use mostly the forums. The forums should (would) be getting a lot more traffic from us if things were fixed and our buddies came back. That doesnt mean forums are the priority though. I dont mind the forum structure at all, but I hate the upload structure/limitations/etc. as everyone here has mentioned, and the user page features, which had a lot of information that has since disappeared ((optional) geographic location, among a few others). So I would say: work on the little details we discussed above, the forums dont need to much work (I dont think, but thats probably because I got used to it and probably dont want to have to get used to something else). Priorities:

1. Fix picture upload situation in all its details (sizes allowed, names, edits, etc.)
    2. Get the ads off the inside of the text or image margins and disable the ones that pop up. There is an absurd amount of real estate on the left margin of the site, underneath the "whos online" and even more so in the forums pages underneath the orange XML button.
    3. Fix our profile pages/mystuff/user etc. pages. It has been discussed at length somewhere, but if I click on "mancha150" on the home page, https://velospace.org/user/24296 is blank. White as Duluth, Minnesnowta.

A redesign of the site has no added value to us if we can't appreciate what the site is now. If you want to redesign to attract more traffic, well then I can't keep you from chasing that paper. If you want to incorporate these points into your re-design, than maybe someone a little more design friendly could provide you with better input.
    • CommentAuthorbowermb

Graphically, the marketplace is awful. For someone looking to buy, there's nothing worse than trying to parse through pure text. Take cues from Craigslist/eBay and make an image of the item be the primary focus. Over the years I've tried to sell approximately 20 items through the marketplace, and have never once even been contacted by an interested buyer. I think a major revamp would create more traffic/interest to improve that.

Additionally, uploading images for the marketplace has always been an issue. The links often become broken, leaving listings without photos.

As everyone has mentioned, and Albert alluded to, user profiles need to be fixed badly. I haven't uploaded or updated any bikes in 2-3 years.
    Try this: Log in and then reduce your URL to 'www.velospace.com' and you should be ready to upload. Similar to adds, therefore, things like scripting, tracking etc seem to be in awful shape.

Furthermore, I personally don't need the marketplace itself at all. There are loads of marketplaces available and there is a marketplace thread in our forum, where things easily could be linked to. Greg and all his incarnations, I suggest to kill off some scripting and bugs then to concentrate on the forum and to not touch the rest.
    • CommentAuthorjoeykork
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015 edited

I wish the XML/RSS feeds would embed at least one thumbnail picture for each bike posted. I have no problem with the text being a limited excerpt to drive me to click into the fully-advertised webpage. If the blog were restarted, I'd subscribe immediately.
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2015

Posted By: joeykorkI wish the XML/RSS feeds would embed at least one thumbnail picture for each bike posted. I have no problem with the text being a limited excerpt to drive me to click into the fully-advertised webpage. If the blog were restarted, I'd subscribe immediately.

Good point. When browsing through bikes posted it'd be incredibly beneficial to have a thumbnail of each bike.
    Answering your question and keeping it short: forums.
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2015

^Well you obviously like to kick back in comfy shoes inside your pick-up truck ;)
    Indeed an impressive and quite disturbing screenshot, Albert.

Regarding a new FORUM WORLDorder, I humbly kick it off with the following pattern: BUILDS, TEC, TOURS, MARKET, 2ndHAND, SOCIAL ..which for the benefit of 'Ventelation' (a term that I picked up from the screenshot) in a bit more detail could look as follows:

A) BUILDS
    ----------------
    a1 - build threads
    a2 - framebuilding and completion
    a3 - discussion

B) TEC
    ----------------
    b1 - compatibility
    b2 - innovation and tests
    a3 - discussion

C) TOURS
    ----------------
    c1 - training and methods
    c2 - tours, trips, holidays
    c3 - racing

D) MARKET
    ----------------
    d1 - bike and bike parts companies
    b2 - innovation and tests
    d2 - collectors' corner

E) 2nd HAND
    ----------------
    e1 - links to sales (craigslist, ebay etc.)
    e2 - want to buy posts
    d2 - collectors' corner

F) SOCIAL AND MEDIA
    ----------------
    f1 - cat content
    f2 - music and pics
    f3 - facebook rants
    f4 - transport policies, e.g. E-cars and bicycle paths

-and-

X) ELSE
    x1 - 'sticky' posts and general forum issues
    x2 - posts that fall in any other category not mentioned above ? If so, is a category missing ? Is an alternative categorization maybe a better one, e.g. combining (D) and (E), or something completely different ?
    ^love all of felissilvestris' suggestions.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.