velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015 edited

I'm making the dive into a custom cross build from Humble Frameworks out of Chicago, IL. I'm just now starting the process, so the frame is a ways off (~2 months). I'll keep this thread going as I slowly accumulate parts.

...And for the first part: Thomson X4 0 degree stem. A bit heavier than I'd like, but it'll do the job.

I've gotten most of the build figured out, but I'm unsure on a few parts:

handlebars - thinking Fizik Cyrano R3 Chameleon...need something similar in shape to 3T Ergonova
    saddle - either Brooks Cambium or Fizik Antares VS
    wheelset - thinking Chris King disc hubs laced to H+Son Archetype rims
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015 edited

Here's one of Michael's beautiful frames, which can be found on the Radavist

http://theradavist.com/2015/03/dustin-klein-painted-this-humble-frameworks-cross-frame/
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015

• CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2015

more goods

thomson masterpiece

sram force cx1 w/ bb7 disc

• CommentAuthorveggie

Lookin' good
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

Got a rendering of the frame? Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Been trying to justify having a custom frame built, so I need to live vicariously through someone that's pulled the trigger!
    • CommentAuthorbowermb

It'll be a raw fillet brazed frame. same shape as bike above, but details like this...

Silver fillets?
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2015

no, brass. think that picture is a little desaturated
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2015

absolute necessity

• CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015 edited

Whelp...I bought a counterfeit Chris King headset off eBay. I'll update with more details later, or if asked, but the link below walks through everything. I'm going to try to get Chris King as much info about it as possible, including the actual headset, so they can be aware that these are out there.

http://ameblo.jp/foigras/entry-10211181084.html

edit: the seller's name is mr_ride and they're out of Taiwan...giant red flag
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015

Wow, did you pay the 100+ for it?
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015 edited

No, $90, but I've started a claim, etc with no response from the seller. I'll eventually get my money back. It just makes me sick that these people are out there making loads of money off of these because 99.9% of buyers would never know it's fake.

edit: I took the headset by Cycle Smithy, an authorized CK service center, and they agreed that it is not authentic and provided a written statement. Really great shop that I'm fortunate to be close by.
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2015

long time, no show

thomson katie f-ing compton cx handlebars

fizik antares vs + salsa skewers. the skewers will give you a good idea of my uber-masculine color choices
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2015

I just realized I never posted the "rendering"/geometry. Like I had said previously, it'll be raw fillet brazed, but I am considering painting the wheel radius area black, as shown.

• CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2015

That''ll be cool!
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2016 edited

I realized that I've totally neglected this thread...I haven't been around much recently because the forum activity has been way down since I first joined. Anyway...here is the frame. I went a different route on the finish than I initially anticipated. Instead of simply leaving it raw steel with brass fillets, I used a blackening patina (just like gun bluing) on the steel, while keeping the brass raw. I plan to build it up within the next couple weeks, just haven't had the opportunity.

Let me know what you guys think!

Looks cool! I'll be excited to see the build direction. I like the dropout "eyelets."
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2016

I like the patina'd look with the raw fillets
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2016

Thank you, gents. I'll update again when it's finally all built up.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.