velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I missed my chance getting a caad 3 frameset which sold rather cheaply - $75AUD so I am on the lookout for another frame.
    I have no objections to steel however I want something on the lighter side and budget is a factor so an aluminium frame fits the bill a little nicer.
    The CAAD's come in highly recommended (caad 8 in particular?) and I have also heard good things about the FELT ally frames. Can any one recommend a decent ally frame from experience? Also, if I went steel what options do I have in light weight tubing that is not going to cost me the earth? I ride an IRO angus fixed gear which is reynolds 631 and this is light enough for me (just as an indication)
    Thanks
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015

I'd definitely go with an older steel frame over a newer aluminum one. Scour eBay for a good deal...thinking 90's era. What's your budget and what do you anticipate using the bike for?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015 edited

I too recommend steel, most of my bikes are steel, but I can't ignore the beauty of an old oversize tubed aluminum frame.

My current aluminum bike is an 88 cannondale crit with a steel fork and I used to ride scattante aluminum road bikes(a generic and then an Easton tubed) with cf forks. I don't have many complaints if you stick with what they were made for.
    Posted By: bowermbI'd definitely go with an older steel frame over a newer aluminum one. ScoureBayfor a good deal...thinking 90's era. What's your budget and what do you anticipate using the bike for?

The bike is for daily commuter use but I would like to enter some amateur races as well. Budget is around the $300 mark.
    If I had the $$$ I would be chasing down something like a cervelo prodigy or jamis eclipse both of which are steel.
    With your budget, I'm on the steel train. For occasional racing and daily commuting I think a late 80's or early 90's Bridgestone RB-2 would fit the bill. Race geo, but with room for larger tires and fenders. Check eBay they're usually around the 300 or so mark. However, any 'racing' bicycle with room for 28cc should be great. Best of luck!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.