velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2015

Just looking for opinions on what set anyone would prefer.

The options are:
    2012 Zipp 404 - Tubular
    Mavic Ksyrium 125 - Clincher (only 6000 made)

Practicality calls for the Mavic's, especially in Chicago, but I'm open to any and all arbitrary comments.

(I previously had a ~2004 set of 404's that you can see in my profile)

• CommentAuthorveggie

I personally think the mavics look better.
    • CommentAuthorbowermb

Yeah, my only reservation is that the Mavics make it look like I'm trying way too hard to incorporate yellow into the bike. Then again, I have used yellow tires/sidewalls on 404s before.
    • CommentAuthorchefn8

Mavics for sure. The one yellow spoke really pops with the color scheme and everything else being black looks stealth.
    ...depends on what you want to use the wheels for. For serious racing on roads, AND! provided that you really are a tubular fan and have made good experiences with your old zipp wheels, go for a new one.

(Not only) for training purposes, all the rest and occasional rougher surfaces, go for the Mavic clinchers. If you have mailorder and can get hold of an affordable set with Ultegra hubs and good Mavic clinchers, you cannot really go wrong either.
    I agree with felis on usage. As far as looks, I think the Mavics look better.
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015

Thanks for the input. I think the Mavics would be the no-questions-asked winner, but I weighed the bike with both sets and the Mavics are a full 8 oz. heavier! I feel like I'd be taking a step in the wrong direction.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.