velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2009 edited

It just appeared among the Random Bikes thumbnails a minute ago, claiming to be Node 6090.

And here's why: The name of the image is "t_1.jpg".

And then of course, there's this one (also on the Node 6090 page):

The name? "3.jpg".

Seriously, pals n' gals, give your photos meaningful names before you upload them. These photos spread like cancer, but we have the power to stop them.
    • CommentAuthorJonD
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2009

Not like greg has nothing else to do, BUT, it wouldn't be that hard to have the uploader rename the files as they land on the server. It is fun, though, to get the mystery pic every now and then!
    I think the most common one is that red Levant
    • CommentAuthorOtto Rax

you mean "bike1.jpg"?
    • CommentAuthorsfbee

don't forget about the infamous "hello.jpg"
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: upthemaidenI think the most common one is that red Levant

If you can tell the red bike is a Levant, your eyes are much better than mine. I'm starting to suspect I'm the oldest geezer here.

Node 6090 is a spectacular image_naming fail; each of the three thumbnails links to a non-matching photo.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

Posted By: Otto Raxyou mean "bike1.jpg"?

Ohh yes, bike1.jpg has got to be the winner.
    • CommentAuthorgridplan

Posted By: JonDNot like greg has nothing else to do, BUT, it wouldn't be that hard to have the uploader rename the files as they land on the server. It is fun, though, to get the mystery pic every now and then!

Agreed. The only minor wrinkle I see is that he keeps track of the original filename, which is displayed when you edit a bike. He'd need a table to map original filename to whatever he names it upon upload to his server.
    This discussion has already been had. He's already tried it and, for some reason, it hasn't worked.
    • CommentAuthorgridplan

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanThis discussion has already been had. He's already tried it and, for some reason, it hasn't worked.

He said he'd had a number of people try to fix the problem and fail. I don't think he went into specifics as to what all they tried or their skill level as developers.
    I suggested exactly this and he said it didn't work.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009

Thanks to everyone for your enthusiasm and energy - I am working to get this fixed of course. I am talking with a new developer to see if they can fix it next week.

Keep your eye's peeled, hopefully this problem will be a distant memory in the next few months
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009

It's cool. I like the surprise sometimes!
    • CommentAuthorKimmo
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011

Posted By: gregKeep your eye's peeled, hopefully this problem will be a distant memory in the next few months

LOL
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011 edited

Thanks for all the thread bumps
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011

I think the Levant is kind of awesome, it be a shame to see it go.

Is there a cluster for all the bikes with that default bike.jpg (or whatever) image, if not there should be...

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.