velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014

Just a heads up to let you know that there is a server upgrade coming today or tomorrow.

During the upgrade the forum will be read only.

There is a small banner at the top and bottom of the forum page that will be there if you see the forum.

At some point during the upgrade you may only see a post about the forum being down at that time.
    what will the upside be?
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014

Greg I thought you disappeared!?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014

He did. I'm pretty sure that's not the Greg we once knew
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014

Yeah, we must be some inferior coastie Greg. The real Greg will understand that comment.
    • CommentAuthormoik
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014

--- honestly the site needs some more updates (please)! Doesn't matter if it's 'real Greg' or somebody new but it would be nice somebody would care!
    • CommentAuthorSmiley
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2014

I agree with moik
    Unsure if it was B. Gates in 1985, who needed reportedly 'some more updates', or if it rather was the Egyptian 'Amenemhat I' around 1985 BC, or maybe a little earlier. I mean, is this really how a fruitful debate should be kicked off ? :D

I might agree as well, if I only knew what kind of upgrades you had in mind: More bikes, or updated bikes ? Cat videos ? Maintenance downtime ? One thing I noticed is that people sometimes seem to have difficulties with pictures, but I cannot really say why that is nor who is to be blamed here. Apart from that, I remember having started a 'GPS track' thread, of course with zero avail so far updatewise.
    • CommentAuthormoik
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014 edited

I thought it would be clear what 'updates' I mean but I write my thoughts down for you felissilvestris. Sometimes I've the impression that on this site nobody followed Bill Gates call to go further than web 2.0 in 2008... ;-) I'm on velospace for a longer time now and the last big thing I can remember was aprox. 3 years ago after the site crashed. The upload of pictures could be lots simpler, then you have to click on every photo to see it big, "user maps (comming back soon)" is there as long as the last big site crash and a facelift from time to time doesn't harm and I would like to see some bikes already on the opening page. Then I don't care if there's a "featured bike" or not but as long as it's on the main site it should be actualised... Maybe you can check your favorite cat video site to get inspired :D (I guess they have more frequent updates) or other sites about bikes. But maybe it's just me and everybody else is happy the way it is?
    No, I agree with everything you listed. Also, I would like to be able to see my own profile and see other people's user information. I.e. city, bio, etc.
    that used to be there, not sure when or why it was changed.
    • CommentAuthormoik
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014

as I remember it was once after the site went down the 'old Greg' had to stop some functions but then they never came back.
    Posted By: socal3renshothat used to be there, not sure when or why it was changed.

I know, that's why I miss it and would like it back!
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

In terms of the server, of course.
    Hi Moik, you made indeed some valid points. While things should be kept as simple as possible, but not simpler - a good example might be the photo upload and some other points on your list, some aspects/instances of a '2.0' web do in fact give me grief.

So whatever a future design might come up with, I get the impression that for every 'web solution' that is straight foreward, easy to use, functional without rather absurd browser settings and in some aspects even compatible with what people refer to as '2.0', there is also another extreme: Grey letters on lesser grey background, pictures that you won't see directly (cf. the crappy 'tablet-ready' redesign of 'flickr', if really flicker was what I had in mind), all served with nonsense from Mr. Suckerburgh and some of his billionaire friends.

The idea behind 'solutions' might in some cases be to generate -directly or not- cash flow, while on the other hand 'redesign' often means investment. Let us see, therefore, what the future will bring. Personally, however, I have strong feelings of what I will be willing to use, and what I must restrain from :D
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Speaking of weird goings ons with the site, all I get here are adds for glocks and other handguns

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.