velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So i notice that a bunch of fools have single speeds with ONLY front brakes. I understand that they function but:

1. How much harder is it to put on another brake for the back?
    2. It is dangerous at high speeds, you can flip.
    3. By copying the aesthetics of a fixed gear, you simply acknowledge that fixed is simply a fashion statement, and deny the validity of it as a riding style.
    Pay the same price of a fixed just for the look but not ride fixed, being "fakie", looking like fixed, but never understanding the way of it.
    4. If you like the simple look, you can still run a back brake using the same cable lever.
    My 2 cents are up and I did try to refrain from any profanity.
    I think it gets to me sometimes when I see it, but I think from my experiences as for as who I've come across that has their bike set up like that... It's very often people who just don't know better, people who are new to cycling or just never really cared all that much. They haven't thought about using a back brake, they hear other people saying they only ever use their front brake, they only had one brake and don't know enough to know what they need for the back brake, they see fixed gears everywhere with only a front brake, and even though they're not fixed, they don't understand why it's ok to only have a front brake on a fixed gear but not on a single speed, so yeah, it'd dumb when people do it for fashion, but I think that happens a lot less often than people who just don't know better.

I'd also be pretty hard pressed to see someone flip their bike on accident with the front brake. If you had a really good front brake and were riding in the drops I could see it maybe happening, but most kids who only have a front brake aren't going to have a nice dual pivot with a good lever, they're either gonna have an ok brake hooked up to a bmx lever giving them not nearly enough leverage to lift their back wheel, or something else a long those lines.
    • CommentAuthorsfbee
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2009

Posted By: upthemaiden
    I'd also be pretty hard pressed to see someone flip their bike on accident with the front brake. If you had a really good front brake and were riding in the drops I could see it maybe happening, but most kids who only have a front brake aren't going to have a nice dual pivot with a good lever, they're either gonna have an ok brake hooked up to a bmx lever giving them not nearly enough leverage to lift their back wheel, or something else a long those lines.

I could definitely see someone doing this. I know my first emergency stop on my fixed ride I did an endo cause I didn't think to throw all of my weight back on the pedals first. Had I not thrown my weight back when the back wheel came up, I definitely would of done a somersault :P
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen

Maybe they just want to coast sometimes? I switch my track bike (that I actually ride on a track) between fixed/ss all the time.

Isn't a fixed gear a single speed anyway? Maybe you should edit your title. =)
    Posted By: jayohachenMaybe they just want to coast sometimes? I switch my track bike (that I actually ride on a track) between fixed/ss all the time.

Isn't a fixed gear a single speed anyway? Maybe you should edit your title. =)

you shouldn't ride your track bike on the street for single speed. Once a track bike hits the street any damages that may occur, even from normal use will not be covered by a warranty. There is a difference between "track" and fixed. There is a difference between fixed and single speed. I know fixed is single speed. What else can I call a fixed? "fixed single speed" and "non-fixed single speed"? Everybody knows, it's pretty clear if you ride.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude

You think he cares much about the warranty? Probably just wants to ride to the bar or something, which is a job equally done by a fixed or a SS.
    Jayohachen- Did the other velospace member you bought that 3rencho from give you a warranty? great haggling skills.

Not everyone who rides a bike on the track is decked out in full spandex with a $3k bike. To some of us, they're just bikes, it's just a track, and a warranty isn't really something that's going to determine how to ride a bicycle.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

If a thread on velospace wasn't off topic or an argument by the fifth post I'd think I was dreaming.
    • CommentAuthorN-town1988

Posted By: upthemaidenNot everyone who rides a bike on the track is decked out in full spandex with a $3k bike. To some of us, they're just bikes, it's just a track, and a warranty isn't really something that's going to determine how to ride a bicycle.

Thats a really good point, see I ride BMX aswell as an SS and you wouldn't expect some one to commute on a BMX but if the SS is off the road I have to use that instead, its both my hobby and just a bike when it needs to be. I don't think i'd ever wanna ride fixed, just seems too many limitations to balance out the benefits. But as for brakes, non on the BMX and one front on the SS.
    I like to coast, plain & simple. I've never had a good even pedal spin & likely never will so when I use a fixed wheel, it's for the fun it brings to my riding. Personally, both front & rear brakes with a flip-flop hub make the most sense to me.

On a side note; at the LBS the other day they had buttons that said "ONE LESS FIXIE". I had to laugh out loud...
    • CommentAuthorAlM

If i EVER put a brake on my tarck, it would be a rear, handle mounted on the back of the tt.
    • CommentAuthorneutron_bob
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2009 edited

You're looking at it ar too cynically lickedwicked.
    The simple reason is that there are those of us who enjoy the feeling of riding a fixed gear but aren't macho enough to go brakeless.
    Ever since I got my first Pista I've been hooked on the simplicity and training benefits of a fixed gear. A front brake and pedal resistance has been fine for fast stopping. Most braking power comes from the front anyway a rear brake is seems unecessary if you can slow yourself with pedal resistance somewhat. I'm sure someone could "endo" on a fixed/front brake bike if they were just learning or accident prone. In the end, if you are an experianced rider but aren't skilled enough to ride completely brakeless, (like me) then a front brake makes perfect sense.

Ok, maybe I missed the point if you're talking about putting only a front brake on a single speed FREEWHEEL. That does seem foolish.
    • CommentAuthorLyKqiD

The better question is who cares?

If they want to emulate you, then be happy, you are a god amongst ants. Besides, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Posted By: LyKqiDThe better question is who cares?

If they want to emulate you, then be happy, you are a god amongst ants. Besides, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

WORD!!!
    Posted By: LyKqiDThe better question is who cares?

it's an insult to fixed. they see fixed only a fashion statement. It's a lot more, its a "revert-back-to-the-basics" simple riding style. It's not just a look and again, "How much harder is it to put on a back break, you can even use the same cable lever". Some single speeds purposely ONLY use the front brake and take off the back ON PURPOSE. I bought a bike with back and front brakes mounted, I removed both for fixed riding. Somebody with same bike (frame, wheels, handle bars,cranks... were the same) chose to remove the back brake and use a single speed.
    if those weaklings aren't strong enough to brake with their legs on a fixed at high speeds, i'm pretty sure using the front will only increase their chances of flipping over. If they do ride fixed and are too weak they can by all means still use front brake on fixed AND use their legs to brake, same deal. Having a single speed front only allows for 1 way of braking and that way can result in flipping over.

Using ONLY front brake on single speeds ALWAYS PROVIDES the chance of flipping over.
    THERE WILL ALWAYS BE POSERS!!! NO MATTER WHAT YOU TALK ABOUT IN THE WORLD. THIS IS JUST A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF THAT. LET THEM LOOK LIKE DUMBASSES BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE KNOW BETTER.
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

haha an insult to fixed gears......
    • CommentAuthordirtle
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2009

i ride a ss with one brake. i rarely used the back brake on my 12 speed road bike. then i switched out the 6sp freewheel to a ss freewheel and took out the rear brake to make me a light machine that accelarates like crazy and bunny hops easy. and rides smooove. i regulate my speed in traffic fairly conservatively i'd say. and i couldn't afford to build a flip flop wheel. YET! (soon!).

aesthetics are about feel and weight, not just looks. that's why they got popular, cuz you can tear it up with a light simple bike without cables and gears etc complicating your buttah.

i don't flip over coz i'm not a dork. maybe you want to talk shit on people who spend money and whatever, but some of us at least make decisions for real reasons ;-)
    Maybe they could care less about fixed gears, maybe it's only having one brake that's the fashion statement, would that still offend you?

and just for the record, from someone who doesn't even hate fixed gears, I can promise you that they are completely fashion statements. Not to everyone, but they still are.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.