velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorBrannigan
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2013

Seriously?! I read this on BF and was shocked. My frikin bikes have wheels THAT I LACED, my bikes were not bought with a damned platinum card, my bikes are scratch-builds. Sometimes I had to search parts-bins at the Chainbreaker bike collective (co-op) in Santa Fe. These details make my bikes vastly more beautiful than what you bought built at a shop. Let it rip y'all, tell us your thoughts.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2013

I would agree it is easier to get laid when you have money. And I've always preferred Gitane to Peugeot personally.
    Oh, you can't take bikes on the internet that seriously
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2013 edited

Posted By: per.kI would agree it is easier to get laid when you have money.

He's absolutely right.

Here is a link to it http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sea/1192150038.html
    • CommentAuthorBrannigan
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014

I knew this would be fun. :)
    • CommentAuthorEND00291
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014

I don't like how it discourages people from getting into cycling, especially people who want to fix their own bikes. It's nothing more than a passive aggressive Craigslist rant written by an overly opinionated bike shop employee that has nothing better to do than cut down others outside of his subculture in an attempt to alienate them. I asked awfully obvious questions when I started riding, but I listened to the mechanics and bought parts from my lbs so I could be even more involved with my bike. I get that it's a joke, but it doesn't add anything positive to cycling, and I hate that It received attention.
    But its a completely valid point of view if you have dealt with "cyclist" from the other side of the counter! I really appreciate the tongue in check venting.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014

I don't think it does anything to discourage people from getting into cycling or fixing their own bikes. Pretty much every one of these is a valid point that almost anyone who has worked at a bike shop has experienced. And it's not that they're basic questions, I like helping people with basic questions, they're stupid questions. Calling over the phone and trying to get me to tell you what it will cost to fix your bike when all you can tell me is "It doesn't work right" is just stupid and a waste of both of our time.
    I love answering noob questions... What I do hate is the level of shame noobs exhibit after dealing with a douchebag at a bike shop. A friend of mine wanted alloy rims for his Varsity (for nothing more than increased stopping power when wet)... He called 3 bike shops, (mind you wanting to drop $ on a wheel set) and each place he called treated just a bit worse than the previous... The most polite and "helpful" reply: "I wouldn't bother, it's still gonna be a varsity"... I've done all forms of customer service (including a stint as a waiter in Detroit) and I hate annoying customers too. Tell you what sucks WORSE than a crappy customer? A POS elitist that looks down his nose at you from the other side of the counter...
    What sucks worse is when you take on said project, replace/relace the stock hubs to NOS 27" alloy hoops or what ever untrue-able treasure the customer brought in, and you call him/her to let them know their bike is ready to be picked up and the final tally is about $100. In the mean time they have done a little on line research, discover that for $150 then can buy a much better complete bike, and they abandon their "beloved Varsity" at your shop, and there will never be a way to recover the costs. This happens more often than you would believe, and the reason the shop I worked at when racing required up front payment for anything that a customer really wanted, but didn't make sense from an experienced point of view.
    He was only looking to purchase... Not have the shop put them on. I feel you there, I know most shops operate on a small margin and something as trivial as a cheap-o wheel-set can cause HUGE headaches for the bottom line. That said, you catch more flies with honey, good flies AND bad...
    • CommentAuthorBrannigan
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2014 edited

It is when someone sneers at you from atop their carbon fiber weekend warrior whip (www) when you give a smile and nod to a fellow cyclist, that I get irked.
    I laughed the whole read.Some of the LBS's around here can be snobby until they figure out you actually know at least basic bike repair and information. I honestly see no point in calling a bike shop about a repair if it isn't; "did my part come in?" or anything that's not "My bike clicks and squeaks, what's wrong?"

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.