velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2013 edited

I just picked this frame up off CL, but hardly know a thing about it. The guy I bought it from said he bought it back in '01 and it has sat in his garage since. It's a '96 Pinarello Monviso I believe, based on what I've seen on bicycle blue book. It has Dedalo Kens tubing and has a 158XX serial number. After a long time searching, I've only seen pictures of one other identical frame, and it was completely roached.

My biggest questions are...
    how common are these?
    what is the frame worth?
    what is the story behind the hand-painted signature and artwork on the top tube? Of all the examples I've seen, none of the art matches exactly.

Any information is very much appreciated...

Cool seat stays.
    Sent you a message - I have one too.
    • CommentAuthormxleader
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015

I used to own one that was a 60cm ctc and it was a '96. There was a '97 that had the Pinarello decals outlined in black and the '96 just had white lettering. It was the best fitting bike I've ever owned and I've been looking for another one or my original one ever since. These were all hand built just a few years before Pinarello discontinued most of their lugged steel frames.
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2015 edited

Posted By: mxleaderI used to own one that was a 60cm ctc and it was a '96. There was a '97 that had the Pinarello decals outlined in black and the '96 just had white lettering. It was the best fitting bike I've ever owned and I've been looking for another one or my original one ever since. These were all hand built just a few years before Pinarello discontinued most of their lugged steel frames.

That's great info. Mine has a black outline, so apparently it is a '97. I have clear-coated the frame to preserve the original paint and decals.

Mine is 62cm ctc, a bit large for me. I feel that a 60cm would be perfect for me as well. I realize I never updated this thread with the frame built-up...it needs a good cleaning.

Aero looks nice w/black tires (the silver sidewalls) I have silver open pros on my Monviso, but white tires/tape/Turbo.
    fyi Maxxis made the re-fuse tire in white for a period, so nabbed 4.

But yeah, what a great bike!
    (Only swap is maybe a campy pista crank)
    • CommentAuthorbowermb
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015 edited

I don't want to make a new thread over this, so hopefully someone else sees this question....what are these little nubs? I'm sure they have an actual name... There is one on the head tube and another on the right seat stay.

• CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015

The nub on the seatstay is a chain catcher. Whenever you remove the rear wheel it is there to hold the chain up.

And I\d like to say the one on the headtube is a pump peg, but I'm not completely sure.
    • CommentAuthor8Aaron8
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015

Posted By: veggieThe nub on the seatstay is a chain catcher. Whenever you remove the rear wheel it is there to hold the chain up.

And I\d like to say the one on the headtube is a pump peg, but I'm not completely sure.

+1 definitely those two things
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2015

That head tube picture is weird. It changed directions for me when I looked at it different times. First time I saw it made it look like that nub was at the bottom of the head tube. When I wasn't logged in the picture changed orientation and I saw that it was at the top. So it is def a pump peg.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.