velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorcasusbelli
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2013

My bike is now being sold on sf craigslist.

Here it is on velospace: https://velospace.org/node/760

Here it is on craigslist:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/4179744682.html

It has been spray painted orange, the guy switched out the saddle and handlebars, but the rest is still the same (the seat post is a jaguar sp72 that I had upgraded to, the bottom bracket is now a sugino superlap).

I owned this bike for years and it was stolen out of my garage. I have no idea what to do, so if anyone has any ideas, please help me out!
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2013

I dont have any experience with these situations, but people have recommended it in the past: reply to the ad, say you are very interested, and go with a cop to see it (if you can get a cop to do this?). That way you dont get yourself into any legal problems if you want to punch the clown in his damn face. If you reported the bike missing to the police, I think they might be inclined to go with you? Or take a friend and just threaten the guy with legal action (I know where you live, bla bla)
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2013

Posted By: Mancha150reply to the ad, say you are very interested, and go with a cop to see it (if you can get a cop to do this?). That way you dont get yourself into any legal problems if you want to punch the clown in his damn face.

this. my coworker got his bike back this way after 2 years. ideally have some pictures of the bike (better yet the serial number) and have filed a police report when it was stolen
    definitely have any receipts or print out your Velospace posting, contact PD and be sure to give a nice high value, pushing it into felony and not petty theft strata.
    And if you worked on it your finger prints will be in places impossible to be there for any other reason.
    Or pay some big badass $50 to throat punch the jack wad when you arrange to meet him at Starbucks!

Thanks guys. I tried the police route, but so far nothing. I'm gonna keep trying and see if I meet with success. It kind of sucks knowing where your bike is and not being able to do a damn thing about it.
    just go check it out, and test ride it away. I read an article about someone doing this and the cops were like "it's unorthodox but we're not mad at her."
    If bike theft is not a casus belli, what else is ? But take at least into consideration that the bike MIGHT be a different one. You should, however, collect data about the seller (phonenumber, name, address etc.). Btw, you are not sitting in S/F yourself, are you ? If so, it would certainly make things easier. I remember being once in a similar situation, when I had received a phonecall that my stolen bike had been seen locked up. I simply called in the cavalry, i.e. I made an appointment downtown with two officers, their car -and of course their bolt clipper (took them 2 sec). Their first question on the phone had been, how I knew that it was mine. Well, it had my name painted in big fat letters on its seat tube. Even if I personally would have him crucified..-we finally decided not to wait for the culprit, and I guess the officers were both happy abou that.
    being able to put a thieving scum bag on YouTube has its own level of satisfaction.

@felissilvestris, the bike is mine. I actually went to check it out--with police--but they said because I didn't have the serial number, they wouldn't do anything. Never mind that I could describe everything about the bike--the missing non-drive side dust cover for the pedals, the insertion scratches on the back of the seat post, the gearing, every component. Anyway, when I got there, it was clear the bike is my bike, just spray painted orange.

Lesson learned though. Always record the serial in a safe place (mine is on a hard drive that crashed years ago. Not safe.).

I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I have the guy's phone number and I know where he lives. But since my first attempt with the police failed, I'm going to have to try something else.
    • CommentAuthorEND00291

I have an idea. Bring a ulock with you to the meet up, do the whole test ride thing and just lock it up and call the police. Maybe suggest meeting at a bike shop?
    If the police are not trying to pursue this then threaten to file a complaint. Any theft over $400 is considered grand theft in California.

Scroll down to 496 http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=484-502.9

Hopefully after reading this you can convince an officer to help you out, you might even be able to get two charges out this, or at least a misdemeanor if the guy didn't know it was stolen.

Nice, I'm about to meet with the police again, so I'll see if this helps.

And . . . fuck the police. Completely useless. Seeing now if friends can help.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Wait I am confused. You already went to go see the bike? And this guy obviously has no idea what your angle is?

yeah just go with a bunch of friends. If it is your second trip, tell the guy you will pay cash right now, take a bunch of friends, and confront him. As was suggested, maybe do this at bike shop.

Just one thing: are you sure he was the one who stole it? He could have bought from the thief and is now selling, but I guess that depends on how long its been since it was stolen.

@Mancha150, yeah, he may not be the one who stole it. And yes, I went to see it with the police--a very bad idea. Not only would they not do anything, but it just pissed the guy off. I can't actually go see it again, but some friends might help me with that.

He probably is having problems selling it because once you see the bike, it has been very obviously spray painted (and not well). Whoever painted it painted over everything but the logos, which means there's the original silver paint peeking out from under a shitty orange paint job. Sort of diminishes it's value (to some).

I actually don't care whether the guy stole it or not. I'm just pissed that it is clear that it's mine (again, I can describe every component, scratch, and dent on it) and he won't even let me give him a couple hundred as a reward for it.

The police are supposedly on the case, and will take it into evidence. We'll see. I am not terribly optimistic. Going the extra-legal vigilante route sounds tempting, but I am not in a place in my life where that sort of thing makes sense.

I do appreciate everyone's comments though.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan

good luck man. those logos on the seatcluster are fairly distinctive and recognizeable
    • CommentAuthorFeFst
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2013 edited

Sorry to hear your lost. Should have gone by your self to check it out. do a "test ride" and ride away with it.

Try and get friends to check it out. Or post CL add saying it is stolen from you, you will offer a reward for the return of it.

At least you know who has it/location of it. Gives you at least some/little hope of the return.

Good luck buddy!

Also a very shitty CL post for the bike, witch means it is most likely the thief. Does not list one single thing about it or what not. Only "Google the bike name"
    steal your bike back while test riding it
    Any updates??
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2013

No updates. I'm going to check in with the police on Monday, but I'm not too hopeful.
    • CommentAuthorduende
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.